Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a chance someone knows for sure the identity of the ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a chance someone knows for sure the identity of the ripper?

I've been thinking about this for some time, I believe there is a chance, as slim as it may be, that someone still alive knows the identity of the ripper but never came forward.

There are several possibilities, the police could have known the identity of the murderer and that information can still exist in the form of classified archives, or, for example, a relative of the murderer could know the truth. It's not impossible (although very unlikely) that a son or daughter of the murderer could still be alive (let's say he was 20 in 1888 and had a child when he was 60 - 1928 - that person would be around 88 years old by now), and a grandson or granddaughter are a good possibility. It could be a well kept family secret and could very well be the only way of finding the truth after so many years.

Of course, one would still have to prove the allegations of anyone who came forward.

I wonder if this has ever been taken seriously as a path of investigation in modern days.

Does anyone see this as a true possibility of solving the murders?

Hi

I think it is possible that some documents still exist somewhere, but they may never be found.
    If a family is out there with knowledge I think it is unlikely they will come forward, the publicity would be too much for most.

If we get something it will be either by pure luck, or some very obscure research.

Steve

Comment

Not a chance. This case will never be solved. Our only slim hope lies with the outstandingly deductive mind of Micheal Richards. Over to you Mike.

Regards

Observer
      Last edited by Observer; 01-18-2016, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Keep in mind that the reward which was quite lucrative given the economic situation of most inhabitants of Whitechapel produced nothing but false leads.

c.d.

Comment

"Our only slim hope lies with the outstandingly deductive mind of Micheal Richards."

Then our situation is truly hopeless.

c.d.

Comment

There's plenty on here who claim to know the Ripper's identity.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
              That's just it. Never mind the countless "sleuths" that believe they've solved the case, there are both police and family who believed they knew identity of the Ripper. Whether or not they have something concrete to base that on is another matter entirely.

Comment

I do believe there is evidence out there. I do believe someone knows the truth, can prove it, and it will eventually come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                  True, metaphorically speaking.

Comment

I would imagine there are probably multiple families who "know for sure" they had a relative who was the Ripper. Someone should organize a convention for them once a year so they can debate it.

Comment

bubble burster

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                      "Our only slim hope lies with the outstandingly deductive mind of Micheal Richards."

Then our situation is truly hopeless.

c.d.
                      Shameful c.d. Oh ye of little faith. You might well have a point though.

Comment

Something which might (possibly) turn up could be a note from an embassy passing on confidential information, and naming JTR. I would vote for the Spanish or French embassy in that case.

Best wishes
                        C4

Comment

Yes, "Pierre" does, apparently!

Comment

Originally posted by el_pombo View Post
                            I've been thinking about this for some time, I believe there is a chance, as slim as it may be, that someone still alive knows the identity of the ripper but never came forward.

There are several possibilities, the police could have known the identity of the murderer and that information can still exist in the form of classified archives, or, for example, a relative of the murderer could know the truth. It's not impossible (although very unlikely) that a son or daughter of the murderer could still be alive (let's say he was 20 in 1888 and had a child when he was 60 - 1928 - that person would be around 88 years old by now), and a grandson or granddaughter are a good possibility. It could be a well kept family secret and could very well be the only way of finding the truth after so many years.

Of course, one would still have to prove the allegations of anyone who came forward.

I wonder if this has ever been taken seriously as a path of investigation in modern days.

Does anyone see this as a true possibility of solving the murders?
                            Hi,

If the police knew the ID of the killer that is a terrible problem in many ways. I can only refer to Monro.

And as for the other question about relatives, there have already been people claiming to be relatives of the killer, and so we will always have the risk of such people being attention seekers.

I only know that history leaves trails and that it also does leave trails that are not meant to be trails. The only way to find the killer is to understand the sources. That is what I believe.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                              Keep in mind that the reward which was quite lucrative given the economic situation of most inhabitants of Whitechapel produced nothing but false leads.

c.d.
                              That is very interesting. Do you happen know any good literature on this? Or some sources?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Working...
                              X