Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a chance someone knows for sure the identity of the ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's too bad conscious awareness of past lives is so uncommon.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
      And still currently dead.
      Yep.

No way anyone alive today has first hand knowledge.

Now someone alive today may have documentary evidence that is pretty persuasive.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

We're probably at the stage where it is far easier to prove who it wasn't rather than who it was.

I guess if you keep proving who it wasn't you might eventually get there;-)
        dustymiller
        aka drstrange

Comment

The last question in an IQ test usually cannot be solved,except by eliminating the four wrong answers.

Doubt many Ripperologists get to that question in the time allowed

What was the population of the area at the time? ROFL.

Carna Hawks!
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

The population is finite. Which means there is a chance! I adopt the same attitude with Powerball.

Comment

While thinking about this thread it occurred to me how Neal Stubbings Shelden established how many people were completely unaware they had ancestors who were victims of Jack the Ripper, kind of the flip side of this question.

Comment

I wonder how many people know much at all about their relatives born in the mid 1800s
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

We were corn millers from Portaferry,County Down.

Butchers from Scotland tarrying in London.

Comment

'He proves by algebra that Hamlet's grandson is Shakespeare's grandfather and that he himself is the ghost of his own father.' (Joyce, 'Ulysses')

The real question is : after such a huge investment of time, labour and ingenuity by so many people over so many years, and with so many researchers fervently believing that their own candidate is the only true Ripper - what possible evidence could be found that would completely convince everyone?

Police declarations? We've got lots. Contemporary denunciations? Scores of them. Oral confessions? Ten a penny. Written confessions? Got them too. DNA? Not feasible. 'Means, Motive, Opportunity'? Motive we can know nothing about, Means and Opportunity - a cast of thousands.

No, the question is never going to be resolved to everybody's satisfaction; quite possibly we already know the killer's name - and equally possibly we never will.

Comment

Originally posted by el_pombo View Post
                      Hi, curious4.

And there's always the JTR files never declassified by the Scotland Yard to avoid compromising the "identities of police informants"!

Regards!
                      Hello el_pombo

Yes, should there be anything there! You never know! Mind you, even if we did get a result, most of us wouldn't believe it!

Best wishes
                      C4

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                        We were corn millers from Portaferry,County Down.

Butchers from Scotland tarrying in London.
                        Some of us know a little, even a bit, but we don't know much about their day to day lives.

Mine were mainly Clergy, Drs Lawyers Sea men or Coal Miners
                        G U T

Comment

Musician friend moved in next door up here for a while.

Used to holiday in Portaferry as a youngster and knew the mill and stable remains.Actually played close by. Described it all to me very well.
                          Small world.

Doctors and Seamen. Hmm.
                          Last edited by DJA; 01-19-2016, 02:10 AM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                            Musician friend moved in next door up here for a while.

Used to holiday in Portaferry as a youngster and knew the mill and stable remains.Actually played close by. Described it all to me very well.
                            Small world.

Doctors and Seamen. Hmm.
                            That's cool that he knew your ancestral home, sis married a Pom and she's visited a few churches where family served
                            G U T

Comment

Going back in history we were clergy or warriors in Nth Ireland.
                              Bit of both sometimes.Not always in Ireland.
                              Often aligned to the Red Handed Knights of Ulster. O'Neill.

Horse knowledge and skills seem to be in the blood.

Comment

In 1888 my mother's mother's father (my maternal great grandfather) Ike Singer married his wife Rebecca Kreutzner in Manhattan during the Great Blizzard of that year (in March). Ike was from Birmingham, England (he's my English ancestor), coming here about a year before. Rebecca/"Becky" was from the Polish portion of the German Empire of that period. Ike worked on a grain elevator. My mother's father's parents were from Hungary, and were married in the late 1880s (my grandfather Ben was born in 1891 in lower Manhattan). My father's father's family were in Russian Poland (and did not emigrate to the U.S. until the 1900s). My father's mother's family were in the U.S. (from Russia) and lived in Philadelphia.

No remarkable figures among these folk, just hard working immigrants or first generation Americans.

Oddly enough, years ago, while studying for a bar exam, I knew an English born lady taking the test, whose grand-mother (the lady claimed) was living in Whitechapel in 1888, and on the night of one of the murders (the lady did not know which) passed a man who seemed to be looking over at her in a peculiar manner - so that my acquaintance's grand-mother always felt she may have seen Jack the Ripper. But how could she tell?

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X