No announcement yet.

Conjecture vs 'evidence'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suggest the abbreviation is Ly, for "Legally" - it would be relevant for an institution to note whether an inmate was merely insane or considered by the police or courts to be legally insane, for instance if an inmate could only be admitted against his or her will if legally insane.

EDIT: just saw RJ Palmer's examples of Qs and concur that Qy seems the better interpretation for now
    Last edited by Kattrup; 10-26-2023, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
      I would suggest the abbreviation is Ly, for "Legally" - it would be relevant for an institution to note whether an inmate was merely insane or considered by the police or courts to be legally insane, for instance if an inmate could only be admitted against his or her will if legally insane.

EDIT: just saw RJ Palmer's examples of Qs and concur that Qy seems the better interpretation for now
      Well, it would still be nice to find a reference to this abbreviation that didn't refer to Aaron Kozminski!

Find My Past has a long list of workhouse abbreviations, but it doesn't list either 'Qy' or anything similar.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

It's a Victorian thing. Here are entries for Quinn, Quinton, Quigley, etc. from the workhouse records.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Quinn, etc. .jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	823916
        There’s no doubt about it then Roger. If I hadn’t seen the evidence though I’d have said that it was a 2 all day long.
        Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 10-26-2023, 06:47 PM.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Now that Roger has proven beyond any reasonable doubt that Kosminski's sanity was queried in July 1890, but his insanity not yet diagnosed, how does that sit with his alleged trip to the seaside, courtesy of the police, as a suspected homicidal maniac?

Moreover, Kosminski's lack of a propensity to commit acts of violence seems to have helped him pass the sanity test at that stage.

Why then would he have been considered to be credible as an insane serial murderer and butcherer of women?

Comment

It's a Victorian thing. Here are entries for Quinn, Quinton, Quigley, etc. from the workhouse records.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quinn, etc. .jpg
Views:	236
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	823916
            Thankyou for posting this example, showing both "Q" and "2", I can rest easy now, besides, how often do you see "y" as short for "year", even in the 19th c. we see "yr".
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Wick -- I think I concluded long ago that Rob House was correct, but someone managed to forget it again and momentarily slipped back into the '2y' idea, which has to be wrong unless every person admitted had been insane for exactly two years, which obviously makes no sense.....
              Yes, exactly, thanks for your input.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

That is a good idea, it would be nice to see a range of capital "L"s in the script of the period. I'll take a look at the census records from the time, just out of interest.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
                  Now that Roger has proven beyond any reasonable doubt that Kosminski's sanity was queried in July 1890, but his insanity not yet diagnosed, how does that sit with his alleged trip to the seaside, courtesy of the police, as a suspected homicidal maniac?

Moreover, Kosminski's lack of a propensity to commit acts of violence seems to have helped him pass the sanity test at that stage.

Why then would he have been considered to be credible as an insane serial murderer and butcherer of women?
                  You might be putting too much faith in Anderson?
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quinn, etc. .jpg
Views:	236
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	823916
                    Hi RJ,

I know I'm old, but Victorian?

When I learned cursive in the mid-twentieth century in Australia that is exactly how I was taught to form a capital Q.

Cheers, George
                    Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.​ - LOTR

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. - Bladerunner

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

You might be putting too much faith in Anderson?

About the same amount I put in Swanson.

Comment

i know its not much difference but could it be Questionably Insane? the longer word might explain the need for abbreviation.

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi RJ,

I know I'm old, but Victorian?

When I learned cursive in the mid-twentieth century in Australia that is exactly how I was taught to form a capital Q.

Cheers, George
                          Ha, ha. That's good to know, George!

If you don't mind me asking, how old was your schoolmistress? Was she an ancient relic from a bygone age?

Cheers.

Comment

Ha, ha. That's good to know, George!

If you don't mind me asking, how old was your schoolmistress? Was she an ancient relic from a bygone age?

Cheers.
                            Hi RJ,

My grandparents were born 1898 and 1900. My original schoolmistress, Miss Seggie, looked to me to be about their age, as did Mr Carter, my schoolmaster after Miss Seggie. I guess that they grew up in the pre-WW1 era and were taught Victorian cursive.

Cheers, George
                            Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.​ - LOTR

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. - Bladerunner

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi RJ,

My grandparents were born 1898 and 1900. My original schoolmistress, Miss Seggie, looked to me to be about their age, as did Mr Carter, my schoolmaster after Miss Seggie. I guess that they grew up in the pre-WW1 era and were taught Victorian cursive.

Cheers, George
                              Thanks, George. It's interesting (and you have a far better memory than I do!).

Comment

I think that is a very good point by Abby, [ Questionably insane ]. Considering, for instance Ostrog was detained in a lunatic asylum from Wandswoth prison , Sept 87 after attempting to feign insanity in the dock a month earlier [ Begg , The Facts p340 ]. Where some of the Doctors, etc in asylums skeptical of certain patients ? There does seem to be an explosion of people being taken to asylums and such like in the late nineteenth century . An interesting article can be found here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539549/

Regards Darryl

Comment

Working...
                                X