Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Francis Hermans - Update - Solid evidence of him being in vicinity of torso murders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice photo, Kattrup.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8FDEC2B-F90A-493D-A9D9-77A0C00F067A.jpeg
Views:	385
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	751319
      Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post

The Salt Lake herald. [volume] (Salt Lake City [Utah]) 1870-1909, October 11, 1896, Image 1, brought to you by University of Utah, Marriott Library, and the National Digital Newspaper Program.

The Salt Lake herald. [volume] (Salt Lake City [Utah]) 1870-1909, November 10, 1896, Image 1, brought to you by University of Utah, Marriott Library, and the National Digital Newspaper Program.

These should be the two you're looking for.

I can’t see what I’m looking for there.

I found the clipping on an Ancestry Tree, but it’s illegible. You may have seen it already.

Hermans is a very interesting subject. I wish you well with your research.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
        Click image for larger version  Name:	C8FDEC2B-F90A-493D-A9D9-77A0C00F067A.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	751319

I can’t see what I’m looking for there.

I found the clipping on an Ancestry Tree, but it’s illegible. You may have seen it already.

Hermans is a very interesting subject. I wish you well with your research.
        It's a fascinating lead. Thank you for finding it. It's on page 5 of the October issue but I'll attach it here. It explains how he insured Emmeline before murdering her and has lots of info about his surviving son.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Astatine211; 02-16-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Name:	6E684D87-2F33-47E9-B182-36E1F893707A.jpeg
Views:	707
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	751328 Thanks for that, A!

I’m very intrigued by the reference to the Ratcliff Highway. This is a photo of the Seaman’s Rest in the Highway. I’ve got a better one somewhere.

A few years after Emmeline married Frank this was Mary Kelly’s patch.

Comment

It is strange that there is one single, solitary but elaborate account from Salt Lake City, dating to 1917, claiming that Hermans was currently being held in a prison in Sweden, but nowhere else is it reported in the U.S.A.

Either it is a bogus report, or his capture received no national news outside of Salt Lake, which seems hard to believe.

Name:	Hermans Held.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	751330

Comment

Astatine.

Do you know when, exactly, Hermans was in Glasgow with Emmeline? Her death notice in your clip above seems to indicate she died in Glasgow Nov. 16, 1889. Also, how old was Emmeline? Have you determined that yet?

Comment

Curious, RJ. It has the whiff of fake news about it.

Emiline was living in Chester Place, Lambeth in 1881. Her occupation was recorded as ‘Infirmary to Foreign Sailors’. She was recorded as a boarder in the household of Emma M. Ratcliff.

Comment

is there anything on when and how long he was in england/ london and when he left? i think if were going to rule him out for any of the london torso murders we need to establish this first.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    is there anything on when and how long he was in england/ london and when he left? i think if were going to rule him out for any of the london torso murders we need to establish this first.
                    Not that easy, Abby. In 1887, while running the Sailors’ Home in Le Havre, he popped up in the City of London to attend a conference.

Comment

Not that easy, Abby. In 1887, while running the Sailors’ Home in Le Havre, he popped up in the City of London to attend a conference.
                      i know and thanks gary. but i know you crack researchers can find it!

Comment

In May 1887 he was definitely in London, in December 1887 he was in Le Havre, then in November 1889 he was in Glasgow and in early April 1891 he was in Liverpool.

He definitely traveled around a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post

In May 1887 he was definitely in London, in December 1887 he was in Le Havre, then in November 1889 he was in Glasgow and in early April 1891 he was in Liverpool.

He definitely traveled around a lot!
                          But his wife was said to have worked in France for 5 years before going to Scotland.

Comment

i know and thanks gary. but i know you crack researchers can find it!
                            If his diary comes to light, we’ll have him bang to rights. ;-)

Comment

But his wife was said to have worked in France for 5 years before going to Scotland.
                              Even better if he was staying and occasionally working in London on his own.

Comment

This hints there could've been even more unknown victims murdered by him however it could also easily be myth. Also that sure is a pretty scary looking church.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X