New Suspect named in Special Branch Ledgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

I think the month with hard labour was for attempting to stab the woman. For the PC, the magistrate gave him a strongly worded talking-to.
    Served him right!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
      I have come across another named suspect from the Special Branch registers which I will share with the community

It was an entry generated by Police Sergeant Leonard who was a Whitechapel police officer likely as not was seconded to Special Branch. The entry read “P Johnson said to be Jack the Ripper” I could find no further information on this man other than census records show that there was a Peter Johnson who was born in 1839 and resided in Thrawl Street Spitalfields. Nothing more is known on this man, other than he was recorded as being single and shown as a general dealer. Another possibility is that the P referred to Phillip. In which case there was a Phillip Johnson shown on the census records as living in Whitechapel, his occupation was described as a skin dresser he would have been 42 years of age in 1888 and a single man. The information source cannot be corroborated as Sgt Leonard may have simply been given this information in the course of his duties which is not helped by no Christian name being given.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Hi, Trevor.

Would the fact that Sgt Leonard refers to this individual only by his initial, rather than his given name, suggest that this "P Johnson said to be Jack the Ripper" was someone already widely known within SB circles and thus someone whose full name he wouldn't need to give them?
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post

Hi, Trevor.

Would the fact that Sgt Leonard refers to this individual only by his initial, rather than his given name, suggest that this "P Johnson said to be Jack the Ripper" was someone already widely known within SB circles and thus someone whose full name he wouldn't need to give them?
        Hi
        I don't know the answer to that. I would call these registers an early collators system for SB so it would depend on how the info was recorded, but of course we do not know what, if any action was taken as a result of this information being recorded because the main file to which this entry related to is now long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post

Hi, Trevor.

Or just that it was all the Sgt had been told in the form of second hand information.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post

Or just that it was all the Sgt had been told in the form of second hand information.
            That is another possibility. In my early days in the police, the collators system included just such types of information which was automatically recorded

Trevor

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

That is another possibility. In my early days in the police, the collators system included just such types of information which was automatically recorded

Trevor
              To be clear I suspect that MAY have been just first initial rather than full name. Or even that the Sgt didn’t think much of the information at first, but later thought, “That needs to be recorded” and then couldn’t remember if he was told Peter, Paul, Philip or whatever.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

There
                Originally posted by GUT View Post

To be clear I suspect that MAY have been just first initial rather than full name. Or even that the Sgt didn’t think much of the information at first, but later thought, “That needs to be recorded” and then couldn’t remember if he was told Peter, Paul, Philip or whatever.
                There was an awful lot of hearsay along with malicious information that was recorded but without access to the follow-up files we can only work with what we have.

Comment

Interesting that the Phillip Johnson that Trevor mentioned was a skin dresser. Skin dressers, otherwise known as fellmongers, were highly skilled at skinning and butchering animals (usually cattle) and possessed knives as tools of their trade although the flensing knives that they used tended to be shorter with sturdier pointed blades rather than the long narrow bladed knife that Dr Bagster Phillips proposed at the inquests. They also tended to be fairly conspicuous in the community because they stank of rancid animal fat that that clung to their persons and their clothing so that most people gave them a wide berth. I discovered all this when I was researching fellmongers many years ago.

Comment

I have been a little research on the name P Johnson and I have got about as far as I am able and I think there are many of you with more research experience to perhaps have a look at what I have found. To start with there is a Peter Johnson in the 1881 Census living at 210 Cable Street, St George in the East, London. Now there are numerous Peter Johnsons living all over London and everywhere else. It is as you will all know a very common name. This one stands out because in the Census;

1881, 210 Cable Street

His occupation is Seaman

Born, Germany (later records show him at British Subject born Germany)

Married to Elizabeth JOHNSON

also with a young son at the address also called Peter JOHNSON

Bear with me this is the interesting bit I think

There are other families living at 210 Cable Street and the one that stands out is

the Mackness family with the head of the family I believe William Mackness (havnt got it in front of me) from Holme same sort of area as Abberlines first wife, perhaps relatives

Also I have a marriage certificate for Peter Johnson and his wife and her maiden name was Elizabeth A ROWE. They married in 1877.

Peter Johnson appears in the 1891 Census living as a lodger. still at Cable Street but I think 116 or somewhere like that. His wife and child have disappeared.

Hopefully this should stir something. Thank you

I am just getting a feeling about this man, perhaps its the Dock connection, well the names as well. wasnt there something about Barnett being married to somebody called ROWE

Thanks again

NW

Comment

There is a record of a British Subject born Bremen, Germany around 1843, Able Seaman on sea going Vessel called Marna. The home port for the Marna is Leith Scotland but I would imagine the ship could travel to many ports. Possibly the same man as the Peter Johnson 210 Cable Street.

Comment

The Daily News on 6th October 1888 describes a suspicious incident where two men in a carriage deposit a woman on the pavement in Brick Lane. A man named Johnson was arrested by the police but released as the woman was said to be his wife. Very strange episode indeed. Will try to locate press entry.

NW

Comment

Working...
                        X