Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spout

Hello Chris. Thanks for that.

Was there a spout or such on smaller containers?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• careful

Hello Abby. Then care was indicated--one slip and out she comes.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• pot boys

Hello Greg. In "The Echo" story, such containers were said to be placed next the door when emptied (remember the milk man of olden days and their glass containers?). Then "pot boys" would collect and return them.

But none to report at Millers Court.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• Get a faceful...

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
          Hello Greg. In "The Echo" story, such containers were said to be placed next the door when emptied (remember the milk man of olden days and their glass containers?). Then "pot boys" would collect and return them.

Cheers.
          LC
          I see Lynn, so you are referring to whether Blotchy's beer bucket was ever retrieved? Hmmm, he was pretty careful for a sloppy punter.......!

Then care was indicated--one slip and out she comes.
          You are here referring to the knife, right Lynn?

Here's another from capitaltaps Blogspot. Looks like a thriving business for lunch! Can't do that in America these days.
          Thanks Mike, also good stuff. I guess the idea was that you could transport and slosh it about without spilling any of the precious nectar. Actually drinking from it seems rather crude but I doubt Blotchy was a proponent of Aristocratic etiquette...

Greg

Comment

• to go

Hello Greg. Yes--at least he likely took it with him.

Yes, the knife (cute).

I wonder whether Blotchy did not provide beer for 2? Perhaps he and MJK had much to discuss?

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• Excellent discussiom, guys.

Blotchyface was obviously carrying a bucket of beer or as ventrloquists call it, a gucket of geer. Strange indeed that no pub emloyee was located who remembered selling said bucket of beer. There's a very quaint passage in the Booth Poverty Map notebooks in 1898 where a prissy researcher says how terrible it is that children are sent to pubs to collect beer and the worldly wise Spitalfields policeman sardonically replies that, au contraire, this is a good thing because the child takes the beer and takes it home, but if the mother goes to the pub she tends to stay there for the rest of the evening.
              Last edited by Stephen Thomas; 01-26-2012, 09:00 PM.
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• own property

Hello Stephen. I wonder whether Blotchy could not have owned his own container? But not sure where he'd have bought the beer.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• It seems to me that Blotchy and Kelly were at the pub and went home together, probably as they had done once a week for the past 6 months. He casually walked along with her, beer pail swinging, while she engaged in loud, obnoxious, and probably ribald singing in her completely inebriated state. He had no idea this was going to be his last time with her and he acted as he had done all other times before. He had nothing to hide and was probably a familiar blotchy face to the denizens of the Court whether they could out a name to him or not.

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello Stephen. I wonder whether Blotchy could not have owned his own container? But not sure where he'd have bought the beer.
                    As I said, Lynn, an excellent discussion.

Did Victorian pubs supply or loan containers for takeawy alchohol?

I suspect that punters brought their own.
                    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

Cheers.
                      LC
                      I take it the "pots" were marked with the name of the establishments to which they belonged?

Wasn't there a bucket removed from Millers Court? The police removed it, covered with a newspaper. The papers speculated that it had been filled with flesh, but I haven't read any thing that stated what was in the bucket.

I'm guessing that could NOT have been the beer pot since the authorities were checking with the pot boys?

Comment

• Whose bucket is it?

Yes an interesting discussion indeed.

I guess Blotchy took his pot with him for one of 3 reasons.

1) He wasn't finished with his brew
                        2) He owned it
                        3) He didn't want to leave behind any evidence.....

It's a good question whether the establishments had its names on the pails or if someone purchased one, would they put their own name on it?

These people were poor so perhaps bucket stealing was a problem....?

Greg

Comment

• I'm pretty sure he just took the pot when he was finished with his liaison. Interesting to note that the coroner suggested the man's heels were worn down as he made no noise walking with Kelly.

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
                            Yes an interesting discussion indeed.

I guess Blotchy took his pot with him for one of 3 reasons.

1) He wasn't finished with his brew
                            2) He owned it
                            3) He didn't want to leave behind any evidence.....

It's a good question whether the establishments had its names on the pails or if someone purchased one, would they put their own name on it?

These people were poor so perhaps bucket stealing was a problem....?

Greg
                            I wondered if the names were on them because there seemed to be so many drinking establishments in the area, and if pot boys went around and picked them up outside doors, how did they know where to return them?

Comment

• under no allusion

Hello Michael.

"He had nothing to hide and was probably a familiar blotchy face to the denizens of the Court whether they could out a name to him or not."

But should not that fact have been alluded to when his description was given?

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• speculation

Hello Stephen.

"Did Victorian pubs supply or loan containers for takeaway alcohol?"

My guess is that, like bottles, a deposit was charged and returned when the can was.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X