No announcement yet.

Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A finding aid to George Bedborough's magazine.

The Adult, link
    EP85.Ad937.897a
    Finding aid prepared by Ellen Williams, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library Print Collections

A bio of Charles Bradlaugh with a small reproduction of a portrait by Walter Sickert. (Click on the image to see a slightly larger version.)

Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
    Charles Bradlaugh

A pencil sketch of Bradlaugh by Sickert.

National Portrait Gallery
    Charles Bradlaugh
    by Walter Richard Sickert

Comment

• University Press Catalogue

Some books published by Springmuhl's University Press:

An 1897 edition of the Ellis book. The imprint is "Wilson and Macmillan," but
      the "16 John Street" address was used by both the University Press and the Legitimation League. The printer if "A [Arthur] Bonner," also the printer of the Free Review. Bonner was married the Hypatia Bradlaugh, daughter of Charles. Some pages are missing in this scan.

Studies in the Psychology of Sex, Volume 1: Sexual Inversion (London: Wilson and Macmillan, 16 John Street, Bedford Row, WC, 1897), link
      by Havelock Ellis, John Addington Symonds

A 1900 edition with an University Press imprint. Symonds is not credited as an author in this edition. Even more pages are missing from this scan.

Studies in the Psychology of Sex, Volume 1: Sexual Inversion (London, Watford and Leipzig: The University Press, 1900), link
      by Havelock Ellis

A novel by Ellis' wife.

Seaweed : a Cornish Idyll (1898), link
      Author: Ellis, Havelock, Mrs., 1861-1916
      Publisher: London : The University Press

The Blight of Respectability: An Anatomy of the Disease and a Theory of Curative Treatment (London: The University Press, 1897), link
      by Geoffry Mortimer (Walter Matthew Gallichan)

Chapters on Human Love (London: The University Press, 1898), link
      by Geoffry Mortimer (Walter Matthew Gallichan)

Pseudo-philosophy at the End of the Nineteenth Century: Vol. 1. An Irrationalist Trio Kidd-Drummon-Balfour (London: The University Press, 1897), link
      By Hugh Mortimer Cecil (Ernest Newman)

The Dynamics of Religion: An Essay in English Culture History (London: The University Press, 1897), link
      by M. W. Wiseman (John Mackinnon Robertson)

The Saxon and the Celt: A Study in Sociology (London: The University Press, 1897), link
      by John Mackinnon Robertson

This has a Swan Sonnenschein imprint, but the next page says "The University Press."

Montaigne and Shakspere (London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1897), link
      by John Mackinnon Robertson

Harold Hardy (London: The University Press, 1898), link
      by F. C. Huddle

Judicial Murder: The Case of Lieutenant Wark (London: The University Press, 1900), link
      by Robert John Wark, E. R. Grain

Comment

• A couple more University Press books.

The Pathology of Emotions (London: The University Press, 1899), link
        by Charles Féré, translated by Robert Park, M.D.

The Universal Illusion of Free Will and Criminal Responsibility (London: The University Press, 1899), link
        by Augustin Frédéric Hamon

Bio-sketch of Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner, whose husband Arthur did printing for the University Press.

Who's Who, 1907 (London:Adam and Charles Black, 1907), Page 181

BONNER, Mrs. Hypatia Bradlàugh-; b. March 1858; 2nd d. of Charles Bradlaugh; m. 1885, Arthur Bonner; one s. Educ.: private schools in England and Paris. Assisted with the National Reformer, 1877-98; Editor, Reformer, 1897-1904; Secretary to Mr. Bradlaugh prior to 1878, and again in 1888; taught evening classes in Chemistry and Mathematics in connection with the Science and Art Department, 1880-88; connected with the Women's Liberal Association, International Arbitration and Peace Association, the Criminal Law and Prison Reform department of the Humanitarian League, the Rationalist Press Association, etc.; Lectures on Indian, political, ethical, peace, and humanitarian questions. Publications: Charles Bradlaugh, a record of his life and work (with Mr. John M. Robertson); The Death Penalty; Stricken India; The Labour System of Assam; some Children's Stories, etc. Recreations: reading and country. Address: 23 Streathboume Road, Upper Tooting, S.W.

--end

Collection of the science lectures mentioned in the sketch. The other lecturers are Annie Besant, Edward B. Aveling and Charles Bradlaugh.

Hall of Science Thursday Lectures (London: Freethought Publishing, 1882), link
        by London Hall of science

Comment

• Originally posted by TradeName View Post
          Some books published by Springmuhl's University Press:

Judicial Murder: The Case of Lieutenant Wark (London: The University Press, 1900), link
          by Robert John Wark, E. R. Grain
          I am curious about this title. Is it an actual case of the 1890s and what is it about?

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            I am curious about this title. Is it an actual case of the 1890s and what is it about?

Jeff
            It's a real case, but there was actually no "judicial murder" as the sentence was commuted, as noted in the Grain book.

The Japan Daily Mail, Volume 31, Jan 21, 1899, Page 69

The trial of Lieutenant R. T. Wark, R.A., Woolwich, for having wilfully murdered a young lady of independent means, named Jane Yates, residing in Liverpool, by performing upon her an illegal operation, has concluded. The social position of the parties, and the sensational circumstances of the crime, excited wide-spread interest in the case. Counsel for Wark made the most of the fact that the prisoner had endeavoured to dissuade Miss Yates from undergoing the operation, whilst counsel for the prosecution pressed home the very ugly circumstance that only Wark benefited under the dead girl’s will. The Jury found the prisoner guilty, with a recommendation to mercy, and the Judge pronounced sentence of death. There is much sympathy for Wark, and the sentence is almost sure to be commuted.

The Philadelphia Medical Journal, Volume 3, January 29, 1899, Page 195

Crime and Punishment.—The recent trial of a man named Wark at Liverpool for procuring criminal abortion on his paramour, who died of injuries received in the operation, resulted in a verdict of "murder" and a sentence of death. Wark's sentence has now been commuted to one of penal servitude for three years. This makes the third case of the sort that has occurred in England in the last few months and the sentences form a curious commentary on the law. One man, Dr. Collins, was convicted of "manslaughter" and sentenced to 7 years' penal servitude; another, Dr. Whitmarsh, was convicted of "murder" and sentenced to death, the sentence being commuted for one of 12 years' penal servitude; the third case we have just detailed. No lawyer, so far as we have seen, and all the English medical and legal papers have teemed with commentary, has been able to suggest a reason for these discordant sentences; but every one is agreed that to pass death-sentences knowing that they will not be carried out is an undignified and inhumane proceeding.

Comment

• G'day TradeName

No lawyer, so far as we have seen, and all the English medical and legal papers have teemed with commentary, has been able to suggest a reason for these discordant sentences; but every one is agreed that to pass death-sentences knowing that they will not be carried out is an undignified and inhumane proceeding.
              I'm sorry but has something been left out here, ie after the words "No lawyer" as it doesn't appear to make sense. Are they saying no lawyer has commented but the medical and legal papers have or are they saying that someone was unrepresented?
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I read it as saying "[n]o lawyer [...] has been able to suggest a reason for these discordant sentences" so far has the writer has seen in the commentary in "all the English medical and legal papers."

Comment

• G'day TradeName

Thanks mate, must have been the late Saturday night, I just couldn't "get it".
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by TradeName View Post
                    It's a real case, but there was actually no "judicial murder" as the sentence was commuted, as noted in the Grain book.

The Japan Daily Mail, Volume 31, Jan 21, 1899, Page 69

The trial of Lieutenant R. T. Wark, R.A., Woolwich, for having wilfully murdered a young lady of independent means, named Jane Yates, residing in Liverpool, by performing upon her an illegal operation, has concluded. The social position of the parties, and the sensational circumstances of the crime, excited wide-spread interest in the case. Counsel for Wark made the most of the fact that the prisoner had endeavoured to dissuade Miss Yates from undergoing the operation, whilst counsel for the prosecution pressed home the very ugly circumstance that only Wark benefited under the dead girl’s will. The Jury found the prisoner guilty, with a recommendation to mercy, and the Judge pronounced sentence of death. There is much sympathy for Wark, and the sentence is almost sure to be commuted.

The Philadelphia Medical Journal, Volume 3, January 29, 1899, Page 195

Crime and Punishment.—The recent trial of a man named Wark at Liverpool for procuring criminal abortion on his paramour, who died of injuries received in the operation, resulted in a verdict of "murder" and a sentence of death. Wark's sentence has now been commuted to one of penal servitude for three years. This makes the third case of the sort that has occurred in England in the last few months and the sentences form a curious commentary on the law. One man, Dr. Collins, was convicted of "manslaughter" and sentenced to 7 years' penal servitude; another, Dr. Whitmarsh, was convicted of "murder" and sentenced to death, the sentence being commuted for one of 12 years' penal servitude; the third case we have just detailed. No lawyer, so far as we have seen, and all the English medical and legal papers have teemed with commentary, has been able to suggest a reason for these discordant sentences; but every one is agreed that to pass death-sentences knowing that they will not be carried out is an undignified and inhumane proceeding.
                    Hi Tradename,

Thanks for posting this. It is odd (isn't it?) that one of your sources for this case is not a British newspaper but "The Japan Daily Mail". I wondered why they picked it up (unless, of course, it was connected to the London newspaper, "The Daily Mail").

Jeff
                    Last edited by Mayerling; 06-04-2014, 10:03 PM. Reason: Error in sentence.

Comment

• Yeah, I.m not sure why I couldn't find more about the Wark case.

Here's a bit from the memoir of a spiritualist, Violet (Chambers) Tweedale, which seems to claim that she spent a memorable night in Miller's Court, as part of her "rescue work" in the East End.

Ghosts I Have Seen: And Other Psychic Experiences (New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1919), Pages 63-64
                      By Violet Tweedale

I lived in Whitechapel during the dread visitation of "Jack the Ripper," and all women at once adopted the habit of walking in the middle of the road amongst the horses and carts. Fortunately there were no motors in those days to add to the confusion. When we came to the house or alley we wished to enter, we made a sudden dash for it.

One night I had occasion to pass the entire night by the bedside of a dying prostitute. She lived in one of four rooms, all occupied by the same class, and all opening into a court not larger than ten feet by ten. I suppose I must have been very tired, for I fell asleep, and about five a. m. I woke and found I was alone, the woman was dead. I went out into the court, hearing a sudden noise of excited voices, and discovered that "Jack" had been at work in the adjoining room, only separated from mine by a match-board partition. Portions of the unfortunate woman were neatly arranged on a deal table. I had heard absolutely nothing. Later on that same day I revisited the scene, and found a curious contrast. Seeing his way to a cheap furnished lodging, a coster had married his donah in a hurry, and the wedding breakfast was being eaten off the blood-stained table!

--end

Comment

• I mentioned Edward Aveling above. I noticed that he, at least briefly, worked for the private anatomy school discussed in my old thread, Thomas Cooke's School of Anatomy.

The Medical Times and Gazette, September 16, 1876, Page 340

SCHOOL OF ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY, And OPERATIVE SURGERY, AND PREPARATORY MEDICAL SCHOOL
                        102, Stamford-street, Waterloo-bridge (temporary premises).
                        (licensed by the Secretary of State for the Home Department, July, 1873.)

Lecturers.

Anatomy, Physiology, and Surgery—-Mr. Thomas Cooke, F.R.C.S., Senior Assistant-Surgeon to tbe Westminster Hospital, assisted by two Demonstrators.

Medicine and Obstetrics—-
                        Materia Medic,. Botany, and Chemistry—-George Brown, M.R.C.S., L.S.A., Gold Medallist Charlng-cross Hospital, late Demonstrator of Anatomy at the Westminster Hospital Medical School; Edward B. Aveling, D.Sc. Lond.. Lecturer on Comparative Anatomy at the London Hospital Medical School.

The London Medical Record, October 16, 1876, Page 479

NEW SCHOOL OF ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY, AND OPERATIVE SURGERY.

Mr. Thomas Cooke, F.R.C.S., Senior Assistant Surgeon to the Westminster Hospital, has opened a Preparatory Medical School in connection with his School of Anatomy, the object of which is to instruct young men in both the practice and science of medicine. The intention of this school is that intending medical students shall avail themselves of the excellent practical teaching provided by Mr. Cooke, and his assistants, Mr. George Brown and Mr. Edward Aveling, before joining a hospital. It is reasonably assumed that attendance at a practical establishment of this description would familiarise the student with the subjects he will have to study more in detail in his hospital curriculum, and will give him a decided advantage over the youth who goes straight from school to a hospital course.

The subjects taught at Mr. Cooke's school are anatomy and physiology, materia medica, botany and chemistry, and the principles of medicine, surgery, and obstetrics. The time spent in this school will count to the extent of one year or eighteen months as part of the curriculum required by the Royal College of Surgeons of England, and other examining bodies. As an useful preliminary therefore to the regular hospital curriculum, Mr. Cooke's school is highly to be commended as a most useful introductory course.

Comment

• G'day TradeName

A perusal of papers seems to indicate that private schools of all types were not uncommon.

My GG Grandfather ran one on Maths, French and Latin [a far cry from Mr Cooke I know] but his o0nly training was what he had gained in the Navy.
                          G U T

Comment

• The following is an excerpt from a letter Friedrich Engles wrote about that time Edward Aveling punched a guy.

Marx and Engels Collected Works, Volume 49, link (PDF)

Pages 237-238

ENGLES TO FRIEDRICH ADOLPH SORGE

IN HOBOKEN

Helensburgh, Scotland, 14 September 1891

Dear Sorge,

[...]

Mr Ferdinand Gilles, a scoundrelly man of letters, who was made to come over to us from the Party of Progress, though we in Germany didn't want him, has joined forces in London with Hyndman & Co. and actually has a party all of his own in the Communist Society. The man has been denounced to us as a police spy by a reliable source whose identity, however, cannot be divulged, which also explains his otherwise inexplicable source of funds (he contributes £ 6 a year to a school founded over here by Louise Michel). At the Brussels Congress the fellow tried to gain currency among the Germans for the lies about Aveling being disseminated on the sly by Hyndman, Mother Besant, her lover Herbert Burrows and others to the effect that when Aveling married Tussy [Eleanor Marx] he had abandoned a wife and three children in a state of utter destitution and that his father-in-law was intent on beating his brains out. (Well, Aveling and his wife parted by mutual consent 8 years ago, she took back her fortune which brings her in over £500 a year, there were never any children and her father had died long before.) Since this fell flat, he sought to find a receptacle for these lies among the correspondents of the bourgeois newspapers and that, of course, proved successful. The entire press was full of it. In Brussels Aveling could do nothing for fear of giving the Belgian police an excuse to disrupt the Congress. But when he returned to London and placed the whole matter before us, we unanimously fell in with his view that Gilles must be given a thrashing. After an attempt to do so in the German Society had been frustrated, Aveling, accompanied by Louise Kautsky as witness (lest he should falsely maintain that he had been floored by two men), proceeded to his house last Tuesday, the 8th, and gave him two hearty punches in the face. No doubt that will have a somewhat more salutary effect. Whether anything further came of the business I don't know, as we left the same day and have been unable to receive any news.

Aveling at once advised Liebknecht of the facts of the case for publication in the Vorwärts and so the affair will no doubt also be discussed in America.

[...]

---end

According to the Times of September 18, 1891 (page 11, column 1), Aveling was fined 40s and 23s costs in the North London police court for this assault.

Hyndman later wrote that he suspected that Aveling had manipulated Eleanor Marx into committing suicide.

Further Reminiscences (London: Macmillan, 1912), Pages 144-147
                            by Henry Mayers Hyndman

By the inheritance of a substantial legacy from Engels, the fortunes of the Avelings, who were always considered as man and wife, were, of course, much improved. But Aveling himself, sad to say, did not improve with them. He continued his loose life, extravagance, and addiction to strong liquor, and at length, naturally enough, his health gave way seriously. This led eventually to a crucial operation at the Middlesex Hospital. It was touch and go, and there is no doubt that, but for the extraordinary skill of Christopher Heath in the operation, and the almost equally extraordinary devotion of Eleanor Marx afterwards, Aveling would have died at that time. How Eleanor went through what she did during this period, and kept her health and sanity, I do not comprehend.

My wife, at her request, went to see Aveling as he lay in bed, and afterwards they walked up and down the corridor of the Hospital for a long time. The story Mrs. Aveling told was most distressing. She was not at all the sort of woman to give way under trials, or to make a confidant of another person, no matter how much she may have felt the strain. But she evidently had to open her heart to somebody, and the tale she told of the misery and humiliation she had to undergo induced my wife to implore her to leave the man directly he was out of danger, and to come for a time to stay with us. She said she would gladly do so, and, though my wife was quite unnerved by what she had heard, we both hoped that an end had come to Mrs. Aveling's martyrdom, and that she really would give up her hopeless fighting against fate.

It was not to be. With the tenacity of her race she stuck to her consort; took him down to Margate, nursed him, waited upon him, read to him, petted him—-when all the time she knew perfectly well that he was only waiting for his convalescence to go off with another woman! Such fidelity was beyond all question almost criminal weakness, such as might not have been expected from a woman of her calibre. On their return to London we hoped to hear from and see Eleanor, but unluckily for her and us she kept away.

And thus the tragedy hurried to its end. I read the miserable story as follows, and in my opinion no other solution is possible. Aveling told Eleanor that the marriage with another woman, of which she had heard, had been forced upon him. There was nothing for it but that they should commit suicide together. How Aveling persuaded Eleanor to adopt this mad course no one has ever been able to understand. She was in perfect health, and, as the post-mortem examination proved, her body with its organs was so sound in every way that she might well have lived to the age of 90 or 100. Not only so, but the very last time I talked with her, before I saw her corpse, apparently asleep and quite unlike death, lying on her bed, she had spoken enthusiastically of the coming time in which she hoped to be more useful to the movement than she had ever been before. She must have been subjugated by some strange hypnotic influence. However that may be, the end came in this tragic way quite unnecessarily.

Aveling, it may be added, had acquired at this time the power of writing so exactly like his wife that it was extremely difficult even for one who knew them both to tell the handwriting of one from that of the other. Personally, I could not distinguish them. Who actually wrote the order for the poison, therefore, nobody can now say. Aveling always declared he did not. But there can be no doubt whatever that Aveling himself took the message to the chemist for the prussic acid and chloroform, which poor Eleanor thought she and he were both to take. At any rate the poison was bought. Eleanor swallowed her fatal dose and died immediately. Aveling did not touch his. He rushed off immediately to the train, went straight to the office of the Social-Democratic Federation in Bolt Court, Fleet Street, and called Lee the Secretary's attention to the exact time of his visit.

The funeral, which was largely attended, gave Aveling the opportunity for displaying an amount of histrionic grief and real callousness which disgusted everybody; and none were more bitter against him—for the circumstances of Eleanor's suicide were now generally known—than the foreign Socialists, who had made him out to be a man of the very highest character. The inquest, of course, had disclosed nothing beyond the fact of the suicide; and as Eleanor's brothers-in-law did not see fit to rake up the facts, going off, in fact, to drink with Aveling after the inquest at an adjacent public-house, there was nothing to be done.

"God made Napoleon Buonaparte and then he rested," said one of the French Mayors when he welcomed the great First Consul to his city. "A pity," quoth Chateaubriand, "he had not rested a little before." A pity, assuredly, that the same omnipotent influence had not allowed Christopher Heath's knife to slip or brought about Aveling's final departure "a little before." Aveling inherited what was left of the Engels' legacy, and within a month or so after having taken up with his new wife he was dead himself. "The evil that men do lives after them."

The death of Eleanor Marx was a very serious blow to the movement. Sorrow and suffering had softened her nature without diminishing her earnestness and enthusiasm. She would have done great things had she lived.

Comment

• Edward Aveling visited New York City during August and September of 1888.

New York Tribune, August 18, 1888, Page 5, Column 2

A Socialist Becomes a Playwright

Dr. and Mrs. Enward [sic] Aveling, the English Socialists
                              who Visited this country two years ago, arrived here
                              yesterday on the steamer City of Berlin. Dr. Aveling
                              comes here for theatrical purposes. He is as strong
                              a Socialist as ever, he says. Since he was last here
                              Dr. Aveling has had six plays accepted by London
                              managers. One is a version of Hawthorne's "Scarlet
                              Letter." Miss Alma Murray, who Dr. Aveling
                              describes as tne coming Englidh actress, has accepted
                              one of his plays, and he is writing another for her.
                              Dr. Aveling is also interested in a comedy which is
                              "running wild" at the Strand, and will, he says, be
                              brought out here by Christmas. Dr. Aveling hopes
                              to place some plays here to be given about Christmas
                              time.

---end

New York Tribune, August 18, 1888, Page 8, Column 3

Transatlantic Travelers

Arrived by the Inman steamship City of Berlin, from
                              Liverpool, yesterday: [...] Dr. Edward and Mrs. Aveling [...]

---end

The Evening World, September 20, 1888, LAST EDITION, Page 1, Column 6

City of New York Sails
                              After Repairs to Her Machinery the Big Steamer Gets Off at last

The City of New York, of the Inman line,
                              started on her second eastern trip at 5 o'clook
                              this morning.

She was to have sailed yesterday afternoon,
                              but her machinery was not repaired in time.
                              An officer of the company denied the rumor
                              that the big steamer had stuck in the mud.
                              He said that the delay was caused by the discovery
                              at the last moment that a cylinder was
                              out of order, and that they had to send to
                              Jersey City to have it repaired.

It is expected that the steamer will make a
                              much faster trip this time than she did on
                              her former trip. She carries ninety cabin
                              passengers, among whom are C. E. Jeanneret,
                              of the Australian Parliament: Dr. Edward
                              Aveling and wife
                              . Prof. and Mrs. Simpson.
                              H. J, Slocum, U.S.N., and Mrs, Jonathan
                              Ingersoll.

---end

The Evening World, September 28, 1888, SPORTING EDITION, Page 1, Column 2

Another Slow Trip

The City of New York Arrives at Queenstown After a Rough Experience

Queenstown, Sept. 28. The unfortunate
                              new Inman line steamer City of New York arrived
                              here to-day after a very rough trip.

She reported having met with continuous
                              gales, causing almost a panic among the
                              passengers, three of whom were hurt.

The vessel's pumps again proved defective.

The journey from Sandy Hook to this port
                              was made in eight days and two hours.

The vessel was to have sailed Wednesday,
                              Sept. 19, but was detained by the need for
                              repairs until 5 o'clock the following: morning.
                              She crossed Sandy Hook bar at 7.20. Twelve
                              hours later she was sighted by the City of
                              Berlin 170 miles east of tho Hook.

---end

Engineering, March 16, 1888, Pages 260-261

Click image for larger version

Name:	jtr-Engineering18880316P260.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	665615

Comment

• Inman liners were singularly unlucky. In 1854 the "City of Glasgow" vanished on a trip from Britain to the U.S. with over 400 lost on her (she may have had a fire at sea - a burnt hulk was seen in the Atlantic near the route the liner would have followed). In 1870 the "City of Boston" left New York, arrived at Halifax, and then vanished when headed for Liverpool. 270 were lost, including many soldiers from the Halifax station. The general belief is that the ship sank in a storm or by hitting an iceberg, but in 1875 there was a brief flurry of belief that she was sunk by an "infernal" machine (bomb) for insurance purposes.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X