No announcement yet.

Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excerpts from the trial of Springmuhl on a charge of libeling one Flaxman, a clerk for George Hendry's solicitors. Springmuhl had claimed that Flaxman had indicated a willingness to act against his client's interest in exchange for a consideration of £10.

George Samuel Flaxman testifies about Hendry's dealings with Springmuhl and the bankruptcy proceedings. Note that he says Springmuhl spoke of going to San Francisco.

Springmuhl testifies in his own defense. Note that he claims to be an M.D.

GEORGE FERDINAND VON WEISSENFELD, Breaking Peace > libel, 4th April 1892.

Reference Number: t18920404-445
    Offence: Breaking Peace > libel
    Verdict: Guilty > no_subcategory

445. GEORGE FERDINAND VON WEISSENFELD was indicted for unlawfully writing and publishing a libel of and concerning Samuel George Flaxman, to which a justification was pleaded, and a replication put in (see page 623).

MR. GEOGHEGAN Prosecuted, and MR. HODSON Defended.

SAMUEL GEORGE FLAXMAN . I am managing clerk and cashier to Mr. C. T. Birchall, solicitor, of 5, Mark Lane—I have been in that service about fourteen years—in the early part of 1890 Mr. Birchall was solicitor for Mr. Hendry in an action brought by him against the defendant to recover an amount for machinery made by order of the defendant—that action was tried before Mr. Justice Charles on the 7th and 8th of November, 1890—Mr. Davis, his present solicitor, was his solicitor in that action, and Mr. Ellis J. Davis his counsel—it resulted in a verdict for the plaintiff, Mr. Hendry, for £124, and the taxed costs came to £97—Mr. Justice Charles refused to stay execution—on 13th November the defendant called on me at the office—prior to that I had made inquiries about his financial position—I was not alone in the outer office—I saw him alone in the inner office—I said, "Permit me, Mr. Springmuhl"—Springmuhl was the name I knew him by; that was the name under which the machinery was made for him, and under which we sued him—the first action was brought in the name of Springmuhl, and then he entered appearance to that in the name of You Weissenfeld—I said, "Permit me to point out, before you make any statement, that you are legally represented, and that it is contrary to professional etiquette that I should hear what you have to say without your solicitor; let me see your solicitor, and any terms you have to offer let them come through him"—he said, "I have just come from my solicitor, and I have his approval"—I said, "If you say that that alters the case; what do you offer?"—he said, "£ 100; I am to have the machinery; half the balance to be paid on 1st March, and the balance on 1st April"—I said, "I could not advise Mr. Hendry to do that, to part with £150 worth of machinery for £100"—he said, "If you don't take this you will get nothing; I have not £100 myself, but some friends of mine would Day it if they could get the machine"—I replied, "I have no doubt they would be pleased to take it at that price"—he said, "I have not anything myself; I have got a bill of sale on my furniture, so I am secured"—I said, "I know that; I found that out some time back, and it is all the more reason why I should advise Mr. Hendy that he has security for the due payment of the balance"—I told him that I had instructions to take proceedings in bankrupcy, that I was in the act of preparing the papers as he came into the office—the papers were before me, and I was preparing them—I did not point them out to him, because we were in the inner room at the time—I said, "I cannot,"or" will not take the responsibility of refusing your offer myself, and with a view of saving time I will write to Mr. Hendry to see Mr. Birchall, my principal, at his private house the first thing in the morning, and in the meantime I shall complete the papers in bankruptcy;"as I told him if the offer was accepted I would let him know—I said I should not hold out any hopes of its being accepted—it was only in the event of Mr. Hendry accepting his offer that I should write to him—that ended the interview—I have told the Jury all that took place—there is no truth in the suggestion that I said to the defendant that if he gave me a £10 note I would induce Hendry to accept a small amount in settlement; it is absolutely untrue—I communicated with Mr. Hendry, and received certain instructions from him—I mentioned to Mr. Birchall the defendant's call—on 27th November notice of appeal in the action was given; no notice had been given when he called—on 8th December the defendant's solicitors were told that bankruptcy proceedings would be taken, and on the 12th the petition was filed—the matter was adjourned till 1st January, and then till the 15th, and on the 19th I ascertained that the prisoner had gone before another Registrar, Mr. Registrar Hazlitt, on his own petition—I then went before the Registrar, and got his petition made the petition of Mr. Hendry—the prisoner in his own petition had omitted the name of Springmuhl on which he had got credit, and had gone by the name of Weissenfeld—on 1st January, I think, the Registrar agreed for adjournment till the 15th, provided two sufficient sureties were given to secure to Hendry any sum of money that should be found due to him—two such names were given to me—it was my duty to make inquiries as to their solvency, and I was not satisfied, and reported the matter to the Registrar—the prisoner and his advisers were very angry—the Registrar did not blame me, but said I had done my duty, and did not accept the sureties—the appeal from Mr. Justice Charles's judgment in the High Court was dismissed; on 4th March, I think, that was—there was an appeal from Mr. Justice Vaughan Williams to the Court of Appeal, which was dismissed against the prisoner on 25th March—in every legal proceeding taken by the prisoner he has always been defeated, and Mr. Hendry's representatives have been successful—on 10th February Mr. Burchall showed me these documents—the letter and envelope addressed to Mr. Burchall are in the prisoner's writing—the document containing the libel is printed. (The libel was put in and read; it stated that when he, the prisoner, went to Messrs. Burchall and Wood's and offered to pay the invoice price and taxed costs on delivery of the machine the prosecutor said that if Von Weissenfeld would pay him privately £10, he would induce their client to accept a small sum in settlement, but otherwise they would at once take proceedings in bankruptcy against him.)—Mr. Burchall showed me those—I communicated with Mr. Waddy, and showed him the correspondence and the libel—he was our counsel in the action before Mr. Justice Charles—in consequence of the advice he gave me, the first criminal proceedings I took against the prisoner were on 28th February, 1891, when I swore an information, and a summons for libel was granted—I could not serve that summons; the prisoner had disappeared—the bankruptcy proceedings were adjourned till a warrant was issued for him in the Court of Bankruptcy in July, 1891,1 think, but we did not see anything of him till January this year; he did not surrender to pass his public examination in bankruptcy, and the warrant was not served on him till then—we were unable to find him during the whole of 1891—then, in January, 1892, an application was made that the warrant should be suspended that he might give evidence, and Mr. Justice Vaughan Williams suspended it, and he came and gave evidence—Mr. Justice Charles refused to stay execution, and it was my duty, as clerk to the plaintiff's solicitor, to inquire what goods could be realised—I found the prisoner had a bill of sale and practically no assets—it was my duty to take action against him at the instance of Mr. Hendry; if he had satisfied the Registrar that he was solvent, the bankruptcy proceedings would have been stopped; the Registrar adjourned it on the last occasion for four days for him to bring money into court, and then he filed his own petition the next day—he says in the libel that he at once appealed against the judgment, but he did not appeal till the 27th—I heard the prisoner give evidence on the last occasion, when the Jury disagreed; he then said he offered £100 and the balance in two bills, at one or two, and two or three months; in the libel he said that he offered to pay the invoice price and the taxed costs on the delivery of the machine.

Cross-examined. My client, in addition to his judgment and taxed costs, still has the machine; an allowance was made for it in Mr. Justice Charles's judgment—the prisoner has had opportunities to have it, but he never has had it—I do not think that we commenced these bankruptcy proceedings against him after he had commenced his appeal—the file of bankruptcy proceedings is here—the notice of appeal was served on 27th November—we could not serve that notice, we had to get substituted service; we could not find the prisoner; he was denied to us at his house—we filed the bankruptcy petition on 12th December—we knew then that he was appealing from Mr. Justice Charles's decision, and in the face of that we proceeded in bankruptcy, because we did not feel it was a bond fide appeal, and we notified him to that effect—Mr. Justice Charles's judgment was not varied by the Court of Appeal; it' was an absolute dismissal—he did not after that ask us to hand up the machine, or complain of our keeping the machine and having judgment at the same time—the evidence in the action was that the prisoner used the machine and approved of it; Mr. Justice Charles found that—the conversation which resulted in the alleged libel might have lasted five, ten, or fifteen minutes; I cannot say—I did not say that my client was a "pig-headed Scotchman"—there is not a word of truth in the suggestion that I said I thought he was pig-headed; that he would not accede to the terms which the prisoner proposed to me, but that if he made me a present of £101 might be able to induce Hendry to accept the offer—the prisoner was abroad for some time—he said at the Bankruptcy Court that he had been abroad partly on business and partly to have an operation performed on his eye; he also said we could all go to the devil—on one adjournment he wrote to the Registrar that we could all go to the devil—he said he was going to San Francisco—we believe he had an operation performed on his eye years ago, and I don't think he went to have another—after the libel was published, in commenting on it I might have said Mr. Hendry was pig-headed.

Re-examined. This machinery was made for a patent taken out by the prisoner, and was useless except for that purpose—Mr. Hendry dare not sell it—Mr. Justice Charles treated it according to its value as old iron, and allowed £20, as its value, out of a judgment for £144—when that went to the Court of Appeal our side was not called on to argue, but the appeal was dismissed—the Master of the Bolls asked us whether we would deliver the machine on the money being paid, and we said, "Decidedly"; and that was added as an addenda to the order, but was no part of the order—the money has not been paid for the machinery—we were not going to give a machine to a man with a bill of sale on his furniture without having the money down; if we did agree to it Mr. Hendry would not do it, and perhaps an action would be brought against us.

[...]

GEORGE FERDINAND SPRINGMUHL VON WEISSENFELD (the prisoner). I now reside at Stanley [Stoneleigh?] House, Paradise Road [Row?]—I am M. D. and M. A. of Leipsic—I take great interest in scientific matters—at the time I gave this order to Mr. Hendry I was consulting chemist to the Concentrated Produce Company and to the Californian Company—when I called at Mr. Burchall's office in November and saw Flaxman, I said, "I come here to settle this matter; I offer £100 in cash and the balance, for costs and so on, in two bills, "one, I believe, the 1st March, and the other the 1st April," and I want the delivery of the machine"—Flaxman said his client would not deliver the machine under any circumstances, because he had received judgment for damages; that I must go to the Court of Appeal; and he added, "I have very good means to prevent you succeeding in the Court of Appeal"—I did not ask what the means were, but he said there were two means to prevent me succeeding with the appeal; one was bankruptcy and the other was a prosecution for perjury—I said that was somewhat in the Dodson and Fogg line in "Pickwick Papers"—then Flaxman tapped me on the shoulder and winked with his eye, and said, "Well, if you can find a £10 note I shall settle the matter; our client is a pig-headed Scotchman"—he said he had plenty of bankruptcy forms in his desk—I had to deliver the machine to other parties, and I had not the money to pay for it without getting it—Flaxman said, "Oh! you have property"—I answered, "No, I have two houses, but there is a mortgage on them, and I have furniture, but there is a bill of sale on it"—I dont remember that anything else was said—I was there less than half an hour—no one was present but myself and Flaxman—subsequently, I instructed my solicitor to repeat the offer, and he did so—I went to his office, saw his clerk, and made a communication to him—I have written books under the name of Springmuhl—I have never, in any shape or form, attempted to conceal my right name as Von Weissenfeld—my right name is Springmuhl von Weissenfeld.

Cross-examined. I believe I had 200 of these publications printed; I don't know when, in 1891 very likely; in January or February—besides the three I sent out I have shown them to many persons—I don't remember if I have sent them to others—I have shown them to my solicitor—I believe I showed them to Messrs. Ashurst, Morris and Crisp, or their clerk; he was acting at the time as my solicitor—he was not acting for any one of my debtors—Mr. Davis was my solicitor in the action before Mr. Justice Charles—Ashurst, Morris and Crisp were solicitors in a sale of property to Mr. Willis and others; they acted for Mr. Willis, not for Mr. Dowden, who was nobody; he was nominally the purchaser—I may have shown the publications to other solicitors; very likely I have shown them to a number of people—a petition was presented against me by Mr. Hendry before one Registrar, and my solicitor went, with my sanction, to another Registrar and got me declared bankrupt on my own petition—my name was always Springmuhl von Weissenfeld, and I should sign a document in that name—when I went before the second Registrar I put George Ferdinand von Weissenfeld—I omitted the Springmuhl because I did not want to damage my name under which I wrote books—I slept last Saturday at a friend's, not at Stanley House—I was at Stanley House on Saturday; I left it as soon as I got a telegram from Mr. Davis to come here—I bought Stanley House in 1889—when I presented my own petition in bankruptcy I gave my address as 97, Portland Road, which is Nelson's Hotel—Mr. Hendry, in his petition, put me as residing at Stanley House—this petition is in my writing—I say, "Lately residing at Paris and at 5, Glebe Terrace"—5, Glebe Terrace is Stanley House—letters are addressed to both; 5, Glebe Terrace is the official name—I generally date my letters from "Stanley House"—I do not know if I gave this card to the Registrar—I have been unsuccessful in my principal action—I had no action in bankruptcy—I swore in the witness-box that Stanley House and Grafton House belonged to the Concentrated Produce Company—I think Mr. Justice Vaughan Williams said he could not believe that—in the Court of Appeal Mr. Justice Fry said he believed it—they did not upset the judgment of the Court below—I did not also say that certain furniture over which I had given a bill of sale was the property of the Concentrated Produce Company; there was a bill of sale on it, the bill of sale was with the Company—I said the Concentrated Produce Company had found the money for the fresh bill of sale; and so they did—the Court decided they did not—all the money of the Company was in my wife's banking account—I had no furniture or property to hand over to the trustee; I have not handed it over—I wanted the machine to be given to me on payment of the £100 and bills; on the £100 and two bills being given I expected to get the machine—my solicitor offered to secure the payment of the two bills, I believe—I told Mr. Flaxman I would give him the houses as security for the bills—he did not say, "Could you give me any security for the payment of those bills"; he only spoke about the houses—I believe he said, "If you don't pay us, and have got no security, we know you have a bill of sale on your furniture"—I told him my two houses were mortgaged; but the property was worth £450 more than the mortgage—the mortgagees were not actually in possession at that time.

[...]

GUILTY .—The JURY added that they found the plea of justification woe not true— Two Month' Imprisonment.

--end

Resolution of another case against Betts and Springmuhl:

ROBERT BETTS, Deception > bankrupcy, 17th October 1892.

Reference Number: t18921017-958
    Offence: Deception > bankrupcy
    Verdict: Guilty > pleaded guilty
    Punishment: Miscellaneous > sureties

958. ROBERT BETTS PLEADED GUILTY to unlawfully aiding and assisting Von Weissenfeld (not in custody), a bankrupt, in attempting to defraud his creditors.— Discharged on recognisances.

Comment

• Mr. Geoghegan

The barrister who was prosecuting in the Von Weissenfeld libel suit was Mr. Gerald Geoghegan. Interestingly enough this once promising barrister is connected to three cases that are frequently mentioned on these threads.

In 1887 he was the junior barrister for the defense team that defended Israel Lipski in the poisoning murder of Miriam Angel that resulted in a conviction but a drawn out review of the trial facts when William T. Stead insisted that the case (before Mr. Justice James Fitzjames Stephen - father of James Kenneth Stephen, and the future murder trial judge against Florence Maybrick) had not been fairly presented. In the end Lipski confessed (although this has been questioned recently) and was hanged.

In May 1892, Geoghegan would be the lead barrister (supposedly with the young Edward Marshall-Hall) in front of the Privy Council for the appeal of Frederick Bailey Deeming on his murder conviction in Melbourne, Australia for the murder of his second wife Emily in January 1892. Despite a long list of precedents the Privy Council (under Lord Halsbury, the Lord Chancellor) cut to the chase and upheld Deeming's conviction.

In October 1892, Geoghegan would be defending Thomas Neill Cream for the murder of four prostitutes by strychnine poisoning in Lambeth and Stepney in 1891 - 1892. Cream too would be convicted and hanged.

Geoghegan had a drinking problem which destroyed his legal career - in 1903 he died by "misadventure" taking an overdose of a drug for his nerves (yes, some have suggested it was suicide).

Jeff

Comment

• Thanks, Jeff.

I notice that Geoghegan also defended Thomas Callan in one of the dynamite cases. Inspector Littlechild was involved in this case.

THOMAS CALLAN, MICHAEL HARKINS, Damage to Property > other, 30th January 1888

281. THOMAS CALLAN (46) and MICHAEL HARKINS (30) were indicted for feloniously conspiring with other persons to cause an explosion in the United Kingdom of a nature likely to endanger life and cause serious injury to property. Other Counts varying the form of charge.

THE ATTORNEY-GENERAL (SIR RICHARD WEBSTER) with MR. POLAND and MR. R. S. WRIGHT, Prosecuted; MR. GEOGHEGAN appeared for Callan, MR. KEITH FRITH for Harkins.

[...]

GUILTY . — Fifteen Years' Penal Servitude each.

Comment

• Summary of a case involving Springmuhl's bankruptcy. The judgment invalidated the transfer of certain of Springmuhl's personal properties to the Concentrated Produce Company and assigned them to the trustee. The justice declined to rule that the company was merely a front for Springmuhl, but noted that none of the directors were willing to appear in court. He also commented on the fact that Springmuhl, who fled to avoid bankruptcy proceedings, was able to evade a warrant for his arrest through the expedient of placing himself behind a locked door.

Reports of Cases Under the Bankruptcy Act, 1883 & 1890 (London: Sweet & maxwell, 1893), Volume 9, Pages 30-39
          by Great Britain. High Court of Justice, Charles Francis Morrell

In Re Von Weissenfeld ex Parte Hendry

Bankruptcy Act, 1883, section 25.
          Bankruptcy Rules, 1886, Rules 28 and 31

Before Mr. Justice Vaughn Williams. 1892.

January 15th, 19th, 20th, 21st 23rd and 26th

[...]

This was an Application by the trustee in the bankruptcy for an order (1) that notwithstanding the alleged execution by the bankrupt of an instrument dated December 3rd, 1890, whereby the bankrupt purported to transfer to the Concentrated Produce Company (Limited) certain freehold properties known as Stoneleigh House and Grafton House, situate at Clissold Park, Stoke Newington, it might be declared that such properties together with the plant, machinery, &c., on the said premises were the property of the bankrupt divisible amongst his creditors, and as such vested in the trustee: (2) that the furniture in the said Stoneleigh House which by a bill of sale purporting to bear date November 18th, 1890, the bankrupt purported to convey to the Concentrated Produce Company (Limited) was the property of the bankrupt divisible amongst his creditors and that such bill of sale was void under the Bills of Sale Act, 1882, or alternatively as fraudulent as against the creditors in the bankruptcy.

The debtor Dr. Springmuhl von Weissenfeld was an analytical chemist and was stated to be the discoverer of an invention, in respect of which he had taken out a patent, for concentrating grape juice at the place where the fruit was grown, so that wine could be produced from it in other countries and a considerable amount saved in freight.

The properties of Stoneleigh House and Grafton House were purchased in the name of the bankrupt in 1888, but on November 7th, 1890, judgment was recovered against him by the petitioning creditor in an action for goods and machinery supplied, a receiving order being made on January 16th, 1891, upon which adjudication followed.

The bankrupt did not surrender to the proceedings for the purpose of completing his public examination and a warrant was issued for his arrest, which, however, had not been executed.

It appeared that immediately before his bankruptcy the bankrupt had transferred the properties of Stoneleigh House and Grafton House and the furniture contained in the former to the respondents to the present motion, the Concentrated Produce Company (Limited), and the trustee now sought to set this transfer aside as fraudulent against him, it being in effect contended in support of the motion that the bankrupt was himself the Company and that the transfer was really made for the sole purpose of putting the property out of the reach of the creditors, and of enabling the bankrupt to retain possession of it notwithstanding his bankruptcy.

On the other side it was stated that the properties were not bought by the bankrupt for himself but as trustee for the respondent company, and that the transfer now sought to be set aside was only a transfer of property which actually belonged to them.

Muir Mackenzie (Cleave with him): for the trustee in bankruptcy.

Sidney Woolf, Q.C. (Herbert Reed and H. Jacobs with him): for the Concentrated Produce Company (Limited).

Muir Mackenzie: proceeded to open the case.

Mulligan: for the American Concentrated Must Company (Limited).

I have an objection to take to this motion being heard. I appear for the American Concentrated Must Company (Limited) who have purchased from the present respondents, the Concentrated Produce Company, certain of this property claimed by the trustee. I make this application under Rules 28 and 31 of the Bankruptcy Rules, 1886. Rule 28 provides that "Where any party, other than the applicant, is affected by the motion, no order shall be made, unless upon the consent of such party duly shown to the Court, or upon proof that notice of the intended motion and a copy of the affidavits in support thereof have been duly served upon such party: Provided that the Court, if satisfied that the delay caused by proceeding in the ordinary way would or might entail serious mischief, may make any order ex parte upon such terms as to costs and otherwise, and subject to such undertaking, if any, as the Court may think just; and any party affected by such order may move to set it aside." And Rule 31 provides that "If on the hearing of any motion or application the Court shall be of opinion that any person to whom notice has not been given ought to have, or to have had, such notice, the Court may either dismiss the motion or application, or adjourn the hearing thereof, in order that such notice may be given, upon such terms as the Court shall think fit." Property cannot be affected without service of notice of motion, and I am entitled to service and to be heard on this motion. It is asked to take my property away.

(vaughan Williams, J.: It is only asked to declare that as between the litigants the property is the property of the trustee. How will that order affect you?)

If an order is made according to the notice of motion that notwithstanding the execution of the transfer by the bankrupt these properties and all the plant, machinery and utensils on the premises are the property of the bankrupt, it will be a declaration that my property is the property of the bankrupt and nothing short of it.

(vaughan Williams, J.: It does not seem to me that any process could issue on the order which would bind you in any way.)

I should be affected by the order. This is really in the nature of an application in rem that the bankrupt is entitled to these specific chattels to divide amongst his creditors.

(vaughan Williams, J.: It is an application against someone to whom it is alleged the property does not belong that as against that person it belongs to the trustee.)

This application certainly seems to extend to my property, and I ask that the notice be limited so as not to affect my property, or that the motion should not be proceeded with without my being served and heard on it.

Vaughan Williams, J.:

I think there is nothing in this objection. In my opinion you nave no locus standi to be heard.

The case was then proceeded with on the merits, the contention of the trustee being supported by most voluminous documentary evidence and also by something like twenty witnesses who were examined and cross-examined at great length.

January 19th.

Sidney Woolf, Q.C.:

Before opening the case for the respondents I have an application to make that I may be enabled to call the bankrupt as a witness. He has not surrendered to complete his public examination and a warrant was issued by the registrar for his arrest. Under these circumstances he declines to come forward, and what I ask is that either he may come here and that upon proper submission the warrant may be discharged, or that at any rate he may come and leave the Court without being arrested.

Muir Mackenzie:

An application similar to this has been made to Mr. Registrar Linklater, and has been refused more than once. The bankrupt applied that the warrant might be withdrawn and that he might come and attend his public examination. The registrar said that he could not allow that to be done and that the bankrupt must appear and purge his contempt. Now the same application is made to this Court.

(vaughan Williams, J.: All I wanted to make sure of was that there should be no mistake as to what the present application is or as to the position taken up by the trustee. If that is understood I shall not interfere with the right of the trustee who obtained the warrant. At the same time I cannot help thinking that comment may very well be made that if the bankrupt had been called the case of the respondents might have appeared differently.)

The bankrupt has really refused to assist the trustee in any way. At the same time the trustee certainly does not desire in any way to prejudice the hearing of the present motion. What he wishes chiefly to guard against is the bankrupt coming and giving evidence Ex Parte here and then going away again.

Vaughan Williams, J.:

I shall not let that be done. What I should like to do would be to let the bankrupt purge his contempt by attending his public examination. If the bankrupt is produced, and I am satisfied he will really purge his contempt, I will do all the Court can do to prevent his imprisonment when once I am satisfied that he wishes to give his evidence and so bring about the result which is intended by the warrant. I cannot say more than this except that I might suspend the execution of the warrant if reasonable security were given for his appearance. The security I should require would be two sureties in £250 each.

January 20th.

On this day two gentlemen were present in Court who had executed bonds in the required amounts.

Sidney Woolf, Q.C.:

The bail bonds have now been executed. The bankrupt is also present in Court. I now ask that until your Lordship's further order there may be an order suspending the warrant of arrest.

Vaughan Williams, J.:

Of course the bankrupt understands all I relieve him from is the execution of the warrant. When he ultimately comes to attend his public examination he will attend it under the same circumstances as any other person whose examination has been so adjourned. What I mean by that is not that the warrant will be executed, but that he will have to purge his contempt in the ordinary manner. The order I now make is that until further order the warrant is not to be executed. I decline to hear any explanation from the bankrupt as to his reasons for not submitting. It must be understood that what I have done is not on the application of the bankrupt. If I were acceding to the application of the bankrupt I do not think I ought to have done it. But I was anxious that justice should be in no way defeated, and under those circumstances I have made such an order as seemed to me to be best in the interests of justice and to get all the facts before the Court. I can understand that the bankrupt may think it necessary to explain to the Court his conduct, but under the circumstances I do not wish to hear it. He will have an opportunity of giving an explanation when he comes up before the registrar.

The bankrupt was then examined and cross-examined at great length.

January 26th:

On this day judgment was given, the hearing of the case having occupied the Court for six days.

Judgment.

Vaughan Williams, J.: In this case a motion has been made by the trustee in the bankruptcy for a declaration that he is entitled to certain property for distribution amongst the creditors. I will deal with the paragraphs of the notice of motion one by one. The first paragraph asks that notwithstanding the execution of an alleged transfer by the bankrupt these properties of Stoneleigh House and Grafton House may be declared to be the property of the trustee as against the Concentrated Produce Company (Limited). I am particular to say the Concentrated Produce Company (Limited), because I wish it to be understood that my judgment to-day does not affect the right or title of anyone else but the trustee and the respondents. It is possible that the American Concentrated Must Company (Limited) have a claim on the property or on the machinery, &c, and the company asked the other day that the case might be postponed in order that they might be heard. I refused to postpone the present motion, and I told counsel that no order made here would affect the right or title of his company. I think it right now expressly to state that any order made to-day will affect the right of the trustee and the respondents only, and not the rights of any other person. Now as to the present case. It was at first contended on behalf of the trustee that there was no such company as the Concentrated Produce Company (Limited), but I expressed a doubt whether the evidence would justify the Court in coming to that conclusion. It was in my opinion impossible to say that the Concentrated Produce Company was a mere sham or veil to hide the identity of the bankrupt. But as the case went on it was plain that the trustee might shape his case in another form—-that although the Concentrated Produce Company had a real existence, yet the company had allowed itself to be used by the bankrupt as a transferee of his property for the purpose of shielding his property from his creditors. Looking at the case in that view I have to say whether this Stoneleigh House and Grafton House property has really been transferred to the Concentrated Produce Company as their beneficial property, or whether such transfer as it was effected was for the purpose of protecting the property and keeping it for the bankrupt. It seems to me on the really unanswered evidence of the trustee that I ought to hold that there has been no real transfer of this property to the Concentrated Produce Company, and that what was done has been done not for the purpose of transferring Stoneleigh House and Grafton House to the company as beneficial owners, but for the bankrupt's own purposes. I do not hesitate to say that I do not place the slightest credence upon the evidence of the bankrupt. Ample opportunity has been given to the company to come and prove their case, but not a single director of the company has been called, and not a single independent person connected with the company. They express unwillingness to come, and I can only think they do not choose to come because they know in truth and in fact what is contended cannot be supported. I come to the conclusion that the transfer is unreal and was a mere transfer to keep the property to the bankrupt. Then as to the furniture, I shall not deal with the bill of sale on any statutory or technical point. I declare the property to be the property of the trustee simply on the ground that I think the bill of sale was a sham. I, therefore, make the declaration asked for by the trustee, and the respondents must pay the costs.

I also wish to say one word with regard to an incident which has occurred during the hearing of this case. The bankrupt failed to attend his public examination. He absconded, and during part of the time he absconded be appears to have been in this country and in London, and a warrant was issued for his apprehension. After the warrant was issued he seems to have been in London, and was known to have been in London. He was either at Stoneleigh House or at a place called Oak Lodge, I forget which, and the persons entrusted with the execution of the warrant went there and found that the doors were locked, and that they could not get in. I do not assent to any such proposition that a warrant for the arrest of an absconding debtor cannot be executed because he happens to be within a locked door. It is not right that a man, who has placed himself by absconding, prima facie in the position in which the Legislature treats him as a criminal, should be able to evade the warrant by going to a friend's or to his own house, getting the door locked and laughing at the officer. I am of opinion that the warrant of arrest would authorise the officer to break the door and go in and arrest the debtor inside. This question was not argued, but I think it right to make the remarks I have made because I do not like to pass by in silence the assumption that the warrant could not be executed, although the bankrupt was in the house, because the door was locked, and the house was claimed by the Concentrated Produce Company, or by Dr. Wild, or somebody, a friend of the bankrupt.

The warrant having been issued it was still unexecuted when this case came on, and it was put before me that the respondents, the Concentrated Produce Company (Limited), were persons acting distinctly from and in one sense antagonistic to the bankrupt, and that although by reason of their previous connection with him they had found out where the bankrupt was, yet they could not get him here as a witness on account of his fear of arrest. Under these circumstances I thought it best, in order that justice might not be defeated by the absence of a material witness, that the execution of the warrant should be suspended to enable the bankrupt to come and give evidence. He has come here and has given his evidence. I could only allow that to be done in the event of a bond being entered into for his due appearance hereafter. The trustee must now get an appointment for the public examination, and I hope that no injustice will result from my having ordered a suspension of the warrant. The order I made was merely a suspension until further order, and if it should become necessary by reason of any default on the part of the bankrupt, I can and will, on application, make the further order so that the warrant may be executed.

Application allowed.

Solicitor: C. F. B. Birchall, for the trustee.

H. B. Elton, for the Concentrated Produce Company,
          Limited.

Comment

• As trustee of Sprimuhl's bankruptcy, George Hendry had a broker, one Sinclair, break into a warehouse sublet by Springmuhl's California associated, the American Concentrated Must and take property in order to satisfy claims for allegedly unpaid rent. I'm guess that this warehouse was located on one of Springmuhl's properties in Stoke Newington. The Must company challenged this action in court and won a judgment because the agent had broken through a locked outer door. In another case, a bonding company was ordered to pay an indemnity to the Board of Trade because Hendry had mishandled this aspect of Springmuhl's bankruptcy. The proceeds of the sell of the Must company's property had never been paid into the bankruptcy account but had been used, in part, by Sinclair to pay solicitors to defend against the Must company suit. By the time of the bonding case, Hendry was himself in bankruptcy. Hendry's gambling was a factor in his bankruptcy and he was found to have been guilty of misconduct in handling his assets.

The Law Journal Reports for the Year 1893, Volume 62, Pages 388-391

IN THE QUEEN'S BENCH DIVISION AND IN THE COURT OF APPEAL

1893. March 7, 14. May 4.

THE AMERICAN CONCENTRATED MUST CORPORATION V. HENDRY AND ANOTHER.

Coram [before] Lord Esher, M.B, Lopes, L.J., and Smith, L.J.

[...]

This was an action for damages for illegal distress tried before Bowen, L.J. without a jury. The question was whether the landlord had or had not broken an outer door.

The facts are fully stated in the judgment.

Finlay, Q.C., and T. H. Carson, for the plaintiffs.

Bigham, Q.C., and Muir Mackenzie, for one defendant (the head landlord).

Ashton Cross, for the other defendant (the broker).

BoWen, L.J. (on March 14), delivered a written judgment as follows: This was an action brought against a head landlord and his broker in respect of what was alleged to be an illegal distress levied for arrears of rent upon the plaintiffs, who were subtenants, holding from and under the head landlord's immediate lessees. The plaintiffs had duly paid all their own rent, hut the immediate lessees of the head landlord were in default to him, and he distrained accordingly on the plaintiffs as being in occupation of part of the demised premises. The entire premises demised by the head landlord to his immediate lessees were larger than and comprised the premises sub-let to the plaintiffs. The plaintiffs' warehouse stood in a courtyard, which was included in their own sub-lease, and the regular entrance to which courtyard was from a lane outside. At the opposite side of the courtyard was a building still occupied by the immediate lessees under their lease, and not sub-let by them to the plaintiffs; and the immediate lessees also had retained, and had not sub-let to the plaintiffs, a strip of ground which went round the plaintiffs' warehouse, and was fenced off on the other side from the courtyard by a locked door, which had been erected by the immediate lessees themselves, and which did not belong to the plaintiffs. The plaintiffs were in occupation accordingly of the warehouse in question and of the courtyard, and also of another warehouse also adjoining the courtyard, which need not be considered for the purposes of the point to be decided. The proper and usual access to the courtyard was by a gate opening on a lane, but, in levying the distress, this gate was left untouched by the broker. The manner in which he effected his entry into the courtyard was as follows: He went up the lane, and, passing by the outer gate of the courtyard, entered peaceably the building which had not been sub-let by the immediate lessees, but which still remained in their occupation. Through this building he found his way into the land which went round the warehouse, and keeping throughout on ground which was in the occupation of the immediate lessees, and over which the plaintiffs had no right, came, after going right round the warehouse, to the locked door, which belonged also to the immediate lessees. He broke this open, committing, however, as was said, and as appeared to be admitted, no trespass thereby on the plaintiffs. Having broken through this locked door, the broker found himself in the courtyard occupied by and sub-let to the plaintiffs. Once in this courtyard, he broke open the main door of the plaintiffs' warehouse and then distrained. It was not disputed before me that the door was, in fact, broken open. It was contended by the plaintiffs' counsel that the head landlord had mortgaged his reversion, and was no longer in a position to distrain, since foreclosure proceedings had been begun by the mortgagee at the date of the distress. I think there is nothing in this point, for no receiver had been appointed, and the head landlord was still mortgagor in possession. The real question in the case appears to me to be whether the forcible breaking of the main door of the warehouse was illegal.

The doctrine of the inviolability of the outer doors of a house and its precinct has long been established by English law. The principle is one which carries us back in imagination to wilder times, when the outer door of a house, or the outer gates and enclosures of land, were an essential protection, not merely against fraud, but violence. The proposition that a man's house is his castle, which was crystallised into a maxim by the judgment in Semayne's Case and by Lord Coke, dates back to days far earlier still, when it was recognised as a limitation imposed by law on all process except that which was pursued at the king's suit and in his name. A landlord's right to distrain for arrears of rent is itself only a survival of one among a multitude of distraints, which, both in England and other countries, belonged to a primitive period when legal procedure still retained some of the germs of a semi-barbarous custom of reprisals, of which instances abound in the early English books and in the Irish Senchus Mor. Later, all creditors and all aggrieved persons who respected the king's peace, the sheriff in a civil suit, and the landlord in pursuit of his private remedy for rent and services, were both of them held at bay by a bolted door or barred gate. To break open either was to deprive the owner of protection against the outer world for his family, his goods and furniture, and his cattle. "The law," says the Court in Semayne's Case, "abhors the destruction or breaking of any house." The landlord (like the sheriff in a civil suit) could only therefore enter by an open door or an open window—-per ostia et fenestras. The form of plea which he pleaded in his defence, if sued for trespass, was that he had found the house open-— trove la meason ouverte-— 1 Roll. 671; Bro. Abr., issue 26, Trespass, 226; see Kerbey v. Denby. It is possible that in earlier times the principle of the sanctity of the house was carried further still. In 34 Edw. 1 (A.D. 1306) it was suggested in argument at the Bar that no distress, by the law of England, could be levied inside a house at all, except for the king's debt. A horse had been distrained at the door of a house with two of its feet inside and two out, and it was argued on this ground that the distress was illegal; but the counsel for the horse's owner was afraid to stand on his demurrer. This immunity of the outer door extended not merely to dwelling-houses, but to all detached buildings and enclosures. "At common law," says the learned editor of the 1823 edition of Gilbert on Distress (p. 56), " the lessor could not enter a house to distrain if the door were not open, nor even a barn, nor throw down any gate or enclosure to get at a distress." In Penton v. Browne (3) it was indeed held that a sheriff, for the purposes of an execution, might break a barn which was in a field, as distinct from a barn which was parcel of a house; but the Court agreed that if the barn had been adjoining to a parcel of the house, it could not lawfully have been broken. The law so laid down in Penton v. Browne, as to the sheriff's rights with regard to a detached outhouse in a field, appears to me to be a departure from older law. The view, whether right or wrong, was, at all events, considered in Brown v. Glenn not to be applicable to a landlord's distress. I should (with submission) have myself supposed that the sheriff in the civil suit had no more right to break a detached enclosure than a landlord's bailiff. In Brown v. Glenn a locked stable door was broken open. The stable was not within the curtilage of the dwelling-house; but, nevertheless, the Court held that the fact of the stable door being locked of itself rendered the distress unlawful. In so doing they affirmed and followed a far older decision of Lord Chief Justice Hardwicke in the summer Assizes at Exeter in the year 1735, w^ho held that a padlock put upon a barn door could not be opened by force to take the corn by way of distress-— Vin. Abr. "Distress" (E 2), 6; cited also in Poole v. Longueville. It is a misconception to suppose that an outhouse within the curtilage enjoys less immunity than a disconnected outhouse. Penton v. Browne shews exactly the reverse; and in Ryan v. Skilcock it seems conceded that the landlord may not break open the outer door of any building whatever. The language of Lord Coke is general, to the effect that the landlord may not open gates nor break down enclosures. It was indeed contended before me that the law was only that the landlord might not break a door to enter on the demised premises, but that once lawfully on them he might break doors. This contention seems to me one utterly untenable. The doctrine of the law is far stricter. Lee v. Gansel only shews that an officer, in the execution of mesne process, who has gained peaceable entry through an outer door may break open the inner door of a lodger. The case does not impugn the ancient principle that the outer door of a building may not be broken open either by a landlord or sheriff except at the suit of the king.

Finally, it was urged on behalf of the defendants that the broken door of the warehouse was not its outer door within the meaning of the proposition. It was not, it is true, the outer gate of the courtyard. That opened upon the lane. But the fact that it was not one of the outer enclosures of the whole premises demised is nothing if it was the outer door of the building. It protected what was inside the building from persons who were in, or might obtain access to, the courtyard. As to this point the story speaks for itself. It was through this door, and this door only, that the broker entered the warehouse from outside. The plaintiffs, therefore, are entitled to succeed and to recover damages from the defendants. The general costs down to and including to-day must be borne by the defendants. The damages will be referred to the official referee. The costs of the enquiry must be reserved.

Judgment for the plaintiff's.

The defendant Hendry appealed.

Muir Mackenzie, for the defendant.— The door of the plaintiffs' warehouse which was broken open by the broker was, in one sense, an outer door, but it was not the "outer" door of the demised premises. The whole of the property demised to the immediate tenants must be taken to be the demised premises, and, as the broker entered peaceably through the warehouse which was not sub-demised to the plaintiffs, the other doors and gates which the broker broke open were really inner doors, within the meaning of the expression with regard to levying a distress. If the courtyard had been covered in, it could not have been said that the door of the plaintiffs' warehouse was not an inner door. The outer door of premises is that which is for their protection from the outside public. Lord Coke lays it down that a landlord cannot break open gates or break down inclosures to make a distress—Co. Lit. 161a; but here the broker entered peaceably upon the demised premises, and did not commit a trespass in breaking open the door of the plaintiffs' warehouse. [Gould v. Bradstock and Lee v. Gansel were also cited.]

Finlay, Q.C., and T.H. Carson, for the plaintiffs, were not called upon.

Lord Esher, M.R.-—The question is, what was the outer door here. I should say that the gate into the yard was not the door into the plaintiffs' building, and that there was but one outer door, namely, the door of the plaintiffs' warehouse, which was broken open. Therefore, according to the law stated by Lord Coke, that door was the door of the plaintiffs' castle which the broker was not entitled to break open. The appeal must be dismissed.

Lopes, L.J.-—If ever I heard of an outer door of a building, the door of the plaintiffs' warehouse here is an outer door. The "outer" door here is the one which was improperly broken open by the defendant, and the plaintiffs are therefore entitled to succeed.

Smith, L.J.—-The question here is whether the door into the plaintiffs' warehouse is the outer door, and there can be but one answer to that question, namely, that it is clearly the outer door of their warehouse.

Appeal dismissed.

Solicitors--Drake, Son & Parton, for plaintiffs; C. F. B. Brichall and George B. Crook, for defendants.

---end

The Law Times, June 23, 1895, Pages 562-563

QUEEN'S BENCH DIVISION.

Wednesday, April 10.
            (Before Lawrance and Kennedy, JJ.)

The Board Of Trade V. The Provident Clerks And General Guarantee AssoCiation Limited,

[...]

Case stated by consent for the opinion of the court under Order XXXIV.

The facts and nature of the arguments appear fully in the written judgment of the court.

Muir Mackenzie for the plaintiffs.

A. R. Kirby for the defendants.

Cur. adr. vult.

April 10.—The judgment of the Court (Lawrance and Kennedy, J J.) was read by

Kennedy, J.—The claim of the plaintiffs in this special case is for a sum of 120l. 19s. due from the defendants upon a bond of the 17th March 1891, given to the plaintiffs by the defendants and George Hendry, the trustee in the bankruptcy of one Weissenfefd, appointed by the Board of Trade under sect. 21, sub-sect. 6' of the Bankruptcy Act 1883. By the bond the defendants became jointly and severally bound to the Board of Trade in the sum of 300l., the material words of the condition of the bond being: "If the said trustee shall and do from time to time well and sufficiently perform and execute all and singular the duties required of him as trustee by the Bankruptcy Acts 1883 and 1890, or any general rules made or hereafter to be made under such Acts, or if the said trustee shall fail therein and the said association shall make good any loss or damage occasioned by any such default made after the date hereof to the estate of the said bankrupt." The plaintiffs sue the defendants upon this bond, and the question is whether the trustee has failed in the performance of his duties, and loss or damage has been occasioned by his default to the estate of the bankrupt." It is unnecessary for the purposes of this judgment to recapitulate in any detail the circumstances which are fully set forth in the special case. Shortly stated, the material points are these: Rent to the amount of about 562l. was owing to the trustee as representing the bankrupt's estate. The trustee distrained by his agent, Sinclair, for this rent. Sinclair, in levying the distress, acted illegally by a forcible breaking. The tenant commenced an action against the trustee and Sinclair for this illegality, claiming (inter alia) a return of the goods seized under the distress. The trustee, with the sanction of the Board of Trade, defended the action. He directed Sinclair to sell the goods seized, and Sinclair did so, but only upon the trustee giving him in writing bis personal indemnity against the consequences. The goods were sold and realised 281l. 17s. The trustee was not authorised by the Board of Trade to give any indemnity. It was an act which, in our judgment, he could not properly do without that authority. We are further of opinion that under sects. 74 and 75 of the Bankruptcy Act 1883, and rule 295, it was the duty of the trustee, immediately the distress was realised, to require and procure the proceeds to be paid, into the Bankruptcy Estates Account, and that in not doing so, but allowing his co-defendant to keep these proceeds under his control, the trustee failed to perform his statutory duty. The tenant, who, as we have said, was suing the trustee and Sinclair for their tortious conduct, applied, after the sale to Stirling, J. for an order that the 281l. 17s. should be paid into court. The trustee appeared upon the summons and did not oppose, but explained that he was bound to pay the proceeds of the sale into the Bankruptcy Estates Account, and he gave an undertaking that the money when paid in should not be dealt with without notice to the plaintiff in the action. No order was made upon the summons. The trustee asked Sinclair for the 281l. 17s., but Sinclair refused to part with the money, and the trustee wrongly, in our opinion, took no steps to enforce payment of it. The action for wrongful distress was tried; judgment was given for the plaintiff for damages, and these were assessed by the official referee at 500l. The successful plaintiff, towards satisfaction of his judgment, sought, by the appointment of a receiver, to get possession of the 281l. 17s., which was still under the control of Sinclair and his solicitor, but failed to do so, upon the ground in the Divisional Court, to which the matter had gone on appeal from the vacation judge, who had made an order for a receiver, that the plaintiff in the action, having obtained judgment for damages, could not recover the money produced by the proceeds of the sale. The money was, in fact, used by Sinclair towards payment of the costs incurred to his solicitor in the action. In auditing the trustee's accounts the Board of Trade have surcharged him with this sum of 281l. 17s., and the accounts, being so surcharged, showed a balance of 120l. 19s. due from the trustee. This is the sum which the Board of Trade in the present action seeks to recover from the defendants. The trustee is now himself a bankrupt. We are of opinion that the trustee did fail and make default in his statutory duties, and occasioned loss and damage thereby, and that the plaintiffs are entitled to the sum which they claim from the defendants under the bond. It is clear to us, and, apart from the consequences of the indemnity, it is not seriously disputed, that the trustee ought to have insisted upon payment into the Bankruptcy Estates Account of these moneys, which really represented pro tanto the rent due to the estate. The giving of the indemnity, as has been already stated, was not an Act which the trustee could rightly do without the authority of the Board of Trade, which, as no committee of inspection was appointed, exercised the functions of a committee of inspection. But it is contended on behalf of the defendants that Sinclair, having got the indemnity, was entitled for his own security to retain the proceeds of the sale, which he consented to carry out only on the condition of receiving the indemnity, and that if the giving of the indemnity by the trustee was an unauthorised, and therefore an improper, act, yet that the Board of Trade, representing the creditors of the estate. cannot at the same time claim the proceeds of the sale and disaffirm the act of the trustee in giving the indemnity without which the sale would not have taken place. It appears to us that this argument is not well founded. Even assuming, with the counsel for the defendants, that, as between the trustee and Sinclair, Sinclair, having got the trustee's personal indemnity, was entitled as against him to hold the proceeds as security, which appears to us to be at least open to question, we do not see how the wrongful, because unauthorised, conduct of the trustee in making a bargain with his agent, can avail the trustee or the defendants in this action, as his guarantors, in answer to the claim of the Board of Trade, representing the creditors, that he was guilty of default in not getting payment of the proceeds of the distress into the Bankruptcy Estates Account. He cannot, and consequently his guarantors therefore cannot, be heard to plead, as an excuse for the loss of these moneys, that by an arrangement which he could not properly, as against the estate, enter into with his agent, he put it out of his power to pay into the funds of the estate moneys of the estate which came into the agent's hands. Indeed, this was the view of the trustee himself, as is clear from what passed on the hearing of the summons before Stirling, J., and from his subsequent request to Sinclair to pay over these moneys. It was further contended for the defendants that, if there was a default on the part of the trustee, it was not a "wilful" default. In our opinion the terms of the bond do not make the defendants liable only in the event of a "wilful" default; but, if they ought to be so construed, it appears to us that what the trustee did in this case may properly be so designated, and that the particulars set out in the special case are sufficient. The trustee knew that he had no authority to give the indemnity; he knew, and he stated to Stirling, J. that the proceeds of the distress, when realised, ought to be paid by him into the Bankruptcy Estates Account; he requested Sinclair to hand them over to him for the purpose of their being paid into that account, and then he took no steps to enforce the payment which he knew and had thus openly acknowledged ought to be made, but left this asset of the estate in the hands of his agent and his agent's solicitor. It seems clear to us that the trustee failed, with his eyes open, and not either inadvertently or by any oversight, to perform his statutory duty: that money was lost to the estate thereby: that a just claim on the bond for 120l. 19s. is thereby created, and that the plaintiffs are entitled to recover that amount from the defendants.

Judgment for plaintiffs for amount claimed.

Solicitor for the plaintiffs, Walter Murton. Solicitors for the defendants, Wansey, Bowen, and Co.

---end

The Weekly Notes, Volume 29, Aug 18, 1894, Page 399

Hendry, Geo, Oak-la, Limehouse, Coppersmith. High Ct of Justice in Bkcy. (No.1420 of 1893.) Ord. July 12. Discharge suspended for three years. Bankrupt. to be discharged as from July 12, 1897. Bankrupt's assets are not of a value equal to 10s. in the pound on the amount of his unsecured liabilities; that he had contributed to his bankruptcy by gambling; and had been guilty of misconduct in relation to his property and affairs, namely:—-That with and after knowledge of his liabilities under the trusteeship of one Von Weissenfeld, and with intent to defeat the claim of the Petitioning Creditors, the bankrupt disposed of the whole of his property, and has thereby deprived the said creditors of the benefit of their Judgment, and also of any available assets for the payment of their and his other creditors' debts.

Comment

• Articles from the American Mercury can be found at unz.org. The January, 1936 issue contains an article by Havelock Ellis entitle "Studies in Sex: A History" which includes discussion of his dealings with Springmuhl (De Villier) as a publisher. Here are a couple of brief quotations offering some impressions of Springmhul:

"I sought out Dr. de Villiers and had a satisfactory interview with him. He was a large and gentle creature who entered the room with stealthy cat-like tread, but I had nothing to complain of in his reception of my visit." (Page 16.)

"His versatile fertility in expedients was extraordinary. He had a passion for mystification which he showed in all sorts of small ways, scarcely involving any self-interest. I have always regarded him as a man with a curious mental kink even more than a criminal, although in that latter capacity he was an amazing figure. He succeeded in duping us all." (Page 17.)

Comment

• Some information about the prosecution of the people associated with the University Press after the death of Springmuhl/de Villiers:

Accounts and Papers, Volume 56 (1903), link
                by Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons

Returns Related to the Prosecution of Offences Acts, 1879 and 1884, Pages 34-35

Rex v. Ella Sinclair Roland, Anna Sinclair, Allan Laidlaw, Charles
                Maurice Coleman, and Edward Henry Coleman. (Conspiracy.)

No. 295 in List for 1901.

The defendants were tried at the Central Criminal Court on the 10th April, 1902, upon a charge of conspiracy with Roland de Villiers—-then deceased—-to publish a number of obscene books issued by Roland de Villiers under the title of "The University Press Limited," 2, Broad Street Buildings, E.C.

The books chiefly referred to subjects connected with psychology and pathology of sex.

The defendant Ella Sinclair Roland and Roland de Villiers lived in Cambridge, whilst Anna Sinclair acted as the intermediary between de Villiers and Laidlaw, who received orders for the books and had charge of the office at 2, Broad Street.

The two Colemans lived at Worthing and printed some of the pamphlets.

All the defendants were convicted.

Roland de Villiers died suddenly, immediately after his arrest, at Cambridge.

The very large stock of books which was kept in a cellar near Bedford Row was ordered to be destroyed.

--end

From the Old Bailey online:

ELLA SINCLAIR ROWLAND, ANNA SINCLAIR, ALLAN LAIDLAW, CHARLES MAURICE COLEMAN, EDWARD HENRY COLEMAN, Breaking Peace > libel, 7th April 1902.

Reference Number: t19020407-326
                Offence: Breaking Peace > libel
                Verdict: Guilty > pleaded guilty; Guilty > pleaded part guilty; Guilty > with recommendation
                Punishment: Imprisonment > hard labour; Imprisonment > hard labour; Miscellaneous > sureties

326. ELLA SINCLAIR ROWLAND (32), ANNA SINCLAIR (20), ALLAN LAIDLAW (47), CHARLES MAURICE COLEMAN (31), and EDWARD HENRY COLEMAN, Unlawfully conspiring with Roland De Villiers and others to publish obscene pamphlets, books, and libels.

MR. MUIR, MR. BODKIN, AND MR. LEYCESTER Prosecuted.

MR. HUTTON and MR. FULTON appeared for Rowland and Sinclair; MR. SIMMONS and MR. MORLE for Laidlaw; MR. BLACK for C. M. Colman; and MR. BIRON for E. H. Colman.

ROWLAND,LAIDLAW,and C M. COLEMAN withdrew their pleas, and stated in the hearing of the jury that they were guilty. GUILTY .

E.H. COLEMAN then PLEADED GUILTY to publishing two obscene libellous pamphlets.

ANNA SINCLAIR— GUILTY.The jury recommended her to mercy, considering that she was under the influence of the other prisoners.

The COLEMANS received good characters

ROWLAND, Nine months hard labour.

LAIDLAW and MAURICE COLEMAN, Six months' hard labour each.

E. H. COLEMAN and ANNA SINCLAIR to enter into recognizances.

Comment

• An advertisement run by the University Press and an extract from the proceedings of a committee investigating indecent advertisements.

The Academy, Volume 59, September 29, 1900, Page 249

Ad:

TABOOED SCIENTIFIC WORKS.—-The
                  Manager of the University Press, Limited, begs to
                  inform the Medical Profession, Clergymen, and Teachers that
                  the Scientific Works indicted at a recent trial and burnt by
                  order of the Court—-viz. Dr. Havelock Ellis's "STUDIES in
                  the PSYCHOLOGY of SEX." Professor Krafft-Ebing's
                  "PSYCHOPATHIA SEXUALIS," Dr. Ch Féré's "THE
                  SEXUAL INSTINCT," and G. Mortimer's "CHAPTERS
                  on HUMAN LOVE," in the future, cannot be stocked by Booksellers
                  in Great Britain, and will only be supplied direct from
                  Leipzig and Paris.—The University Press. Limited, 2, Broad
                  Street Buildings, London, E.C.

--end

Report from the Joint Select Committee on Lotteries and Indecent Advertisements (London: 1908, Pages 40-41
                  by Great Britain. Parliament. Joint select committee on lotteries and indecent advertisements, William Lygon Beauchamp (7th earl)

Chief Inspector Dew testimony:

Another case is that described as the "University Press." It was a case in which a number of grossly obscene books, purporting to be works of a classical or medical character, were found being circulated from Watford, and as the result of inquiries which were made, a book was obtained, and a warrant was granted both for the search and the arrest; the person was arrested, and there about two tons of literature was again seized. The person who was charged gave certain information to the police, clearly showing that he was only an agent, and in consequence of information which was received from him, the police set to work, and discovered that these books were printed, and the country being practically flooded with them in very large quantities by one De Villiers, alias Dr. Roland, who was found to be carrying on business in the City at Broad Street Buildings, and living down at Cambridge. A book was obtained, a warrant granted for arrest and search of the premises, and five persons, including men and women, were arrested. At the house in Cambridge where De Villiers was living with his wife, and was directing operations with respect to the distribution and circulation of the book, it was found that a part of the house, in anticipation of being raided by the police, contained a sort of secret chamber in the roof. When the police went to make inquiries, although it was certain that he was in the house, he having been seen going towards the house, no trace whatever of him could be seen until some movement was heard up in this room in the roof, which was thereupon burst open, and De Villiers was found concealed. He proved to be a person of German extraction, made a desperate struggle with the police, but was seized, overpowered, and taken to the police station; but before he could be charged, practically within an hour of his arrest, he was seized with a fit of apoplexy, and died. In that case the other persons were proceeded against, and some were punished, others who were found to be simply agents were bound over, and about four tons of this literature was seized. I am unable to show for your inspection any of the identical books in English, but this is a German one, and it was printed in English with these photographs (exhibiting the same to the Committee). You see that the first photograph is one we would certainly describe as being obscene. It is written in German, but it is similar to what was printed in English, with these photographs.

Viscount Llandaff.

440. Could you tell whether the photographs were made in this country ?—I cannot say that, but I should think it would be likely that the plates (they are all on plates) might be printed abroad, as De Villiers was a German. He took with him when he died a lot of information which might have been useful to us.

Chairman.

441. Have you finished with what you have to say on the University Press ?—Yes.

--end

Comment

• Links to some court cases involving Anarchists at which John Sweeney testified. I don't know if he thought any of these people were connected to Springmuhl:

DAVID JOHN NICOLL, CHARLES WILFRED MOWBRAY, Royal Offences > seditious libel, 2nd May 1892.

Reference Number: t18920502-493
                    Offence: Royal Offences > seditious libel
                    Verdict: Not Guilty > unknown; Guilty > no_subcategory
                    Punishment: Imprisonment > hard labour

493. DAVID JOHN NICOLL (32) and CHARLES WILFRED MOWBRAY (35) were indicted for unlawfully, in a newspaper called the Commonweal, inciting, soliciting, and encouraging certain persons unknown to murder the Right Hon. Henry Matthews, Secretary of State for the Home Department; Sir Henry Hawkins, one of the Justices of the High Court of Justice; and William Melville, inspector of police.

The ATTORNEY-GENERAL (SIR RICHARD WEBSTER), with MESSRS. SUTTON and HORACE AVORY, Prosecuted; MESSRS. GRAIN and BURNIE Defended Mowbray; Nicoll Defended himself.

[...]

MOWBRAY— NOT GUILTY . NICOLL— GUILTY .— Eighteen Months' Hard Labour.

GUISEPPE FARNARA, FRANCIS POLTI, Damage to Property > other, 30th April 1894.

Reference Number: t18940430-434
                    Offence: Damage to Property > other
                    Verdict: Guilty > pleaded guilty; Guilty > no_subcategory
                    Punishment: Imprisonment > penal servitude; Imprisonment > penal servitude

434. GUISEPPE FARNARA (44), and FRANCIS POLTI (18), were indicted for having in their possession and control certain explosive substances, with intent to endanger life and property; other Counts varying the mode of charge.

MESSRS. CHARLES MATHEWS and HORACE AVORY Prosecuted, and MR. FARELLEY Defended.

[...]

GUILTY .—Sentence on

FARNARA— Twenty Years' Penal Servitude. On

POLTI— Ten Years' Penal Servitude.

The COURT highly commended the conduct of the witness Thomas Smith, and also that of Inspector Melville, Sergeant Quinn, and Constables Sweeney, Maguire, and Cann. The GRAND

JURY had also made a similar commendation.

FRITZ BRALL, Damage to Property > other, 25th June 1894.

Reference Number: t18940625-580
                    Offence: Damage to Property > other
                    Verdict: Not Guilty > unknown

580. FRITZ BRALL , Feloniously having in his possession certain explosive substances, under such circumstances as to give rise to a reasonable suspicion of his having them for an unlawful purpose.

MESSRS. C. F. GILL, BODKIN, A. GILL,and GUY STEPHENSON Prosecuted; and MR. FARELLY, MR. SURRAGE,and MR. CLEAVER Defended.

[...]

NOT GUILTY .

MR. JUSTICE GRANTHAM stated that the police were thoroughly justified in every step they had taken, and that it was a case for thorough investigation.

Comment

• A 1929 article about Springmuhl includes an allegation that he used his wife as a tool in a vicious blackmail scheme.

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), January 29, 1929, Page 23

MISDIRECTED GENIUS.

No. VI. Von Weissenfeld a German Rogue. Companies in Which He Played Many Roles. By CHARLES DUDLEY Author of "Mystery Millions."

[...]

.Coming to London in 1880. he got into touch with a number of his compatriots who specialised in blackmailing, and the acquaintance was soon fruitful. After he had taken another turn at the art which had made him exile himself—-forgery—-be arranged with his wife that he should introduce to her, as his sister, a young, impressionable fellow-countryman whom he had picked UP somewhere. A meeting took place, and; as she was no less attractive than unscrupulous, she fascinated the tourist, who within a fortnight proposed marriage. By a clever ruse his offer was subsequently obtained in writing, and then von Weissenfeld got him recalled home, and circulated reports in Germany that caused his father to refuse to consent to the engagement. The victim thus became practically at the mercy of the conspirators, who wrung £1,000 out of him.

[...]

Comment

• In a review of books on criminal anthropology, Havelock Ellis discusses the class of "semi-insane" criminals that Lombroso referred to a "mattoids." I don't know if this is an exact match for Springmuhl.

The Journal of Mental Science, Volume 36, July, 1890, Pages 439-445

3. Criminal Anthropology

by Havelock Ellis, L. S. A., etc.

Cesare Lombroso: L'Uomo Delinquente. Volume Secundo. Torino:
                        Bocca, 1889.

L'Anthropologic Criminelle et ses Récents Progrès. ("Bibliothèque
                        de Philosophic Contemporaire"). Par Cesare Lombroso. Paris:
                        Alcan, 1890.

Étude Anthropométrique sur les Prostituées et les Voleuses. Par le
                        Docteur Pauline Tarnowsky. (Publication du Progrès Médical).
                        Paris, 1889.

[...]

The next chapter is devoted to the not very large class of semi-insane persons, whom Lombroso designates mattoidi. The "mattoids" are related to idiots on one side, and to monomaniacs on the other, but they have well marked characters of their own. They are rarely women; Lombroso only knows two, one of them being Louise Michel. They are rarely youthful; again,only two exceptions. They are usually found in large cities, and to some extent in mountainous districts where goitre and cretinism are prevalent; they are frequent in the cities in which insanity is also frequent, as Verona; they abound also in countries in which a new and artificial civilization has been rapidly introduced, as in India. They are frequently clerks, doctors, or priests, rarely soldiers or country people. They often display notable ability in practical life, but they show, also, an exaggerated laboriousness in matters external to their profession, and out of proportion to their not very elevated intelligence—a laboriousness like that of genius, without showing any corresponding results. Their altruism is often very highly developed, and they publish a great number of books of no value. This cacoethes scribendi Lombroso seems to regard as frequently their chief characteristic; and while they are often marked by perfect good sense in daily life, their books may be of a very insane character. They possess also a very exaggerated belief in their own merits, which comes out more in their books than in their daily life. The "mattoid" attaches himself to all that is new; "every new sect, every new science has some mattoid among its followers." He appears to be by no means unlike what the Americans call a "crank ;" and Lombroso selects an American, Guiteau—-lawyer, journalist, preacher, impresario, writer of strange books and theological journals, moral imbecile, political assassin—-as the complete type of a variety of "mattoid," exhibiting lack of moral sense instead of marked altruism.

[...]

--end

A notice of Ellis passing his LSA exams:

The Lancet, Volume 2, October 20, 1888, Page 795

Society Of Apothecaries Of London.—

[...]

Passed in Medicine, Forensic Medicine, and Midwifery:—

Ellis, Henry Havelock, St. Thomas's Hospital.
                        Fielder, Sidney, Glas. Univ. and St. Thomas's Hospital.

[...]

--end

Comment

• I wondered if there was ever any connection between Havelock Ellis and Forbes Winslow. The best I could come up with is that a paper by Ellis was read at the 1895 Medico-Legal conference and Winslow was present at the session.

Also, from an 1882 guide to the LSA exams, the Forensic Medicine questions. I don't know the answers.

Bulletin of the Medico-Legal Congress (New York, 1898), Pages xxxix-xlii

THIRD DAY.
                          Afternoon Session, 2 P. M.

The President called to the chair to preside over the papers not read, an [sic] their discussion, Vice-President Dr. L. Forbes Winslow.

President Clark Bell, in behalf of Moritz Ellinger, who was prevented by illness from being present, read a paper on "The Case of Czynski." This was followed by a paper read by Clark Bell on "Hypnotism in the Courts of Law."

The following paper was read by the President, in the absence of the author:

Elwood Wilson, Esq., "Hypnotism in the German Courts—the Czynski Case."

A discussion followed on the subject of hypnotism, participated in by William Lee Howard, M. D., of Baltimore, Md.

Dr. Forbes Winslow said that the popular belief that it was only persons of weak intellect who could be hypnotized was a fallacy. Persons of strong will were equally liable to become the subject of hypnotic suggestion.

Dr. Grover, of Massachusetts, related a case where a young woman in New England, afflicted with tuberculosis, had been cured through repeated hypnotic "suggestions."

Dr. Hubbard W. Mitchell expressed some surprise at Dr. Grover's statement. "If that is true," he said, "the hypnotizer has a tremendous power, and its importance cannot be overestimated, but I am inclined to be skeptical. The Medico-Legal Society has for a long time been trying to find out what hypnotism really is."

The President, Clark Bell, Esq., closed the discussion:

The President then read the following papers in the absence of the authors:

P. C. Remondino, M. D., San Diego, Cal., "The Evolution of Theosophic Medicine and Its Present standing in the United States."

Gustave Boehm, Esq., New York City, "Prostitution—The Evil; The Cure; Legislation, Etc."

H. R. Storer, M. D., Newport, R. I., "Fraudulent Life Insurance and Its Relation to the Medical Examiner."

E. N. Buffett, M. D., Jersey City, N. J., "Is Death Painful?" also, "A Popular Medical Error to be Corrected by the Physician."

Dr. Havelock Ellis, London, "Sexual Inversion, with Analysis of Thirty-six New Cases."

Discussion opened by William Lee Howard, M. D., Baltimore.

The paper of Dr. G. E. Shuttleworth, Richmond, England, which had been received by steamer that morning, was then read by the President.

The paper by James Gordon Battle, Esq., Assistant District Attorney, entitled "Indeterminate Sentences as Affecting Congenital Criminals," was read by title, at his request, illness preventing his attendance.

Mr. Albert Bach offered the following resolution:

"Resolved that the thanks of the officers and members of the MedicoLegal Congrees now in session be extended to the public press of this city for the efficient and willing assistance it has yielded in disseminating the work of the Congress and in awakening public interest in the science of forensic medicine; and be it further

"Resolved that the Congress express its particular gratification with the full publication by the New York Times of many of the papers read at its meetings."

President Clark Bell said:

"I rise with great pleasure to second the resolution offered by Mr. Bach. Whatever work scientific men may do, if it only extends to their own horizon, it does not do much good. No man can overestimate the good that has been done by the press of this city in laying before the public the valuable papers that have been presented to this Congress. The press has been most kind, and the New York Times, in particular, wonderfully kind toward the deliberations of this Congress, and it is with great pleasure that I second the motion.

"I have never received, nor has the society which I represent, so much honor at the hands of the newspapers of New York as on the present occasion."

Dr. Forbes Winslow, who also seconded the resolution, said:

"I should like to add my testimony to the remarks made. I have had a great deal of experience with the English newspapers, but I can assure you my experience with the American newspapers has been most agreeable. One of the chief institutions in your country is your press, and the manner in which it is carried out, and by that I mean its enterprise, is most wonderful. When I go back to England it will be with very pleasant recollections of the kindness I have received at the hands of the American newspapers."

Dr. Hubbard W. Mitchell, President of the New York Medico-Legal Society, who supported the motion, said:

"I desire to express my appreciation of the accuracy which has attended the reports that have appeared in the New York newspapers of the proceedings of this body. The New York Times has, with great liberality, given from day to day most complete reports of our proceedings. That paper's reports have been remarkable for their accuracy. It is with great pleasure that I also second the motion."

Dr. I. N. Quimby supported the motion, likening the New York Times to the man who knew a good thing when he saw it, and remarking that a great many papers of international interest had been read at the Congress, many of which had been faithfully reported.

The resolution was unanimously adopted.

President Clark Bell offered this resolution:

"Resolved, That in the opinion of this Medico-Legal Congress not only should the subject of medical jurisprudence be recognized in the various institutions of learning, but in the medical and law schools of this country; that such schools should include such a course in the curriculum of studies, and that examination on this subject be made necessary for graduation in either medicine or law."

Dr. Forbes Winslow, Judge A. L. Palmer, of the Province of New Brunswick, and others supported the resolution, which was adopted.

A communication was received by telegram from the State Medical Society of Rhode Island, congratulating the Medico-Legal Congress upon its work, and assuring the body of its sympathy for and interest in its labors.

The thanks of the Congress were, on motion, directed to be returned to the State Medical Society of Rhode Island.

Judge Palmer moved a vote of thanks to Clark Bell, Esq., for the efficient manner in which he had presided over the Congress, and for the arduous work he had done prior to the assemblage. This was unanimously adopted.

Ex-Surrogate Ransom offered the following resolution, which was unanimously adopted:

"Resolved that it is the duty and would add to the interest and benefit of the legal and medical professions if every national and State medical society and every national and State bar association in the United States and British Provinces should appoint a standing committee upon medical jurisprudence."

On motion of the President, a vote of thanks was passed to the United States Government and to Judges Benedict and Brown and to Postmaster Dayton for their aid in securing the use of the court-room for the Congress.

Mrs. Frances C. S. Burnham, representing the Society for the Protection of Persons Falsely Accused of Insanity, called attention to the action of the society she represented in resolutions commending the attitude assumed by Albert Bach, the counsel of their association, in the paper he read to the Congress on "The Necessity of Amendments of the Law of New York Appertaining to Commitments of the Insane," and pledging the support of the society she represents to Mr. Bach's recommendations.

The President introduced Ex-Assistant District Attorney Alexander S. Dawson, who in eloquent language thanked Dr. Winslow for his exertion on behalf of Mrs. Maybrick, who is at present suffering life imprisonment in England on the charge of poisoning her husband.

On motion, the following resolution was adopted:

"Resolved that all matters of business or finance relating to the Congress, its work, or the publication of the Bulletin, be referred to the officers of this Congress, with power.

Mr. Hart made a strong appeal for proper and nutritious bread for all inmates of the public institutions of the State.

The President then declared the Congress adjourned to 7:30 P. M., when the closing banquet would be given at the New York Press Club, to be preceded by a reception at 6:30 P. M., tendered by the resident members to the visiting members and delegates.

CLARK BELL, President

M. Ellinger, Albert Bach, F. B. Downs, M. D., Clarence A. Lightner, C. A. Doremus, M. D., Secretaries.

Pages 111-123

SEXUAL INVERSION:

WITH AN ANALYSIS OF THIRTY-THREE NEW CASES.

BY M. [sic] HAVELOCK ELLIS, LONDON, ENG., HONORARY VICEPRESIDENT MEDICO-LEGAL CONGRESS. FELLOW OF MEDICO-LEGAL SOCIETY. HONORARY FELLOW OF THE CHICAGO ACADEMY OF MEDICINE.

Read before the Medico-Legal Congress, September, 1895, and before Medico-Legal Society, December, 1895.

[...]

--end

Guide to the Examinations of the Apothecaries' Society of London (London: Bailliere, Tindall & Cox, 1882), Pages 40-43
                          by William Edward Dawson

IV. Forensic Medicine and Toxicology.—Books: Husband's "Medical Jurisprudence" is, for its size, by far the best. Mr. Hemming's little book in the "Student's Aid Series" is an excellent summary of Dr. Husband's, and contains in addition much original information. Students cannot do better than purchase both the works above-mentioned. Special attention should be paid to the section on "Infanticide."

QUESTIONS.

1. What are the appearances presented by those recently drowned?

2. Give the symptoms, treatment, and post-mortem appearances in Poisoning by Strychnia; and the tests for this poison.

3. What is the nature of Medical Evidence? What are the different kinds of Medical Evidence, and the value of each?

4. What are the symptoms and treatment in a case of Oxalic Acid Poisoning? Give tests.

5. Give the symptoms, post-mortem appearances, and treatment in Poisoning by Oil of Vitriol.

6. Contrast the symptoms of a case of Poisoning by Arsenic with those of a case of Corrosive-Sublimate Poisoning. Give the treatment in each case.

7. How would you detect the following in Solution: Oxalic Acid, Meconic Acid, Antimony, and Zinc?

8. Give the symptoms and treatment of Acute and Chronic Lead Poisoning.

9. Give proofs of Live Birth.

10. Distinguish between Stupor of Opium, Alcohol, and Apoplexy.

11. In a case of chronic Arsenic Poisoning, what are the symptoms?

12. After a Fatal Epidemic Disease in a house or institution, what precaution should be taken for future prevention?

13. What are the tests for Corrosive Sublimate, Copper, and Zinc?

14. What are the signs of Recent Delivery?

15. How would you distinguish Wounds inflicted during life, and after death?

16. Mention the Antidotes in cases of Poisoning by Antimony, Arsenic, and Copper.

17. Name the chief Poisonous Gases. How do they destroy life? How would you counteract their influence?

18. You have to examine, under a coroner's warrant, the body of (a) an Adult, (b) an Infant Found Dead. What points must you specially attend to?

19. What is meant by Epidemic and Endemic Diseases?

20. How tell if a Foetus is at full term and born alive?

21. What are the symptoms of Poisoning by Belladonna, Stramonium, and OEnanthe Crocata?

22. Distinguish between Blood-stains, Fruit-stains, and Iron-mould.

23. What are the post-mortem appearances of Death by Apnoea?

24. What is the value of the Hydrostatic Test? How examine a Child in a case of supposed Infanticide?

25. Classify the principal Feigned Diseases, and give the methods you would use for detecting each.*

*I. Diseases altogether feigned.
                          II. Diseases exaggerated.
                          III. Diseases artificially excited by patient.

In the earlier editions of Tanner's "Clinical Medicine" appear some excellent methods for detecting malingering, etc., with especial reference to soldiers and sailors.

26. Explain the terms "Alive at Birth" and "Born Alive."

27. Distinguish between Feigned and Real Insanity. What diseases are most commonly feigned?

28. What are the different Forms of Insanity, and the essentials of a Lunacy Certificate?

29. Describe the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of Acute and Chronic Cupric Poisoning. Give the tests for the presence of the Metal in Solution, in Organic Mixtures, and in Articles of Diet.

30. Contrast the post-mortem appearances in death from Starvation, Suffocation, and Cold.

31. Describe a Case of Poisoning by Phosphorus; how discovered in body after death?

32. How would you proceed to detect Arsenic in Wall Paper and Articles of Clothing?

33. What conditions would facilitate or retard the Action of Water upon Cisterns made or coated with Lead?

34. Describe the modus operandi of abstracting Prussic Acid and Oxalic Acid from the Stomach respectively.

35. What are the Post-mortem appearances of death by Hanging?

36. Describe Reinsch's test for Mercury, Arsenic, and Antimony.

37. What are the fallacies in the diagnosis of Rape?

38. What is the differential diagnosis of Irritant Poisoning and Cholera?

39. In a case of suspected Poisoning, describe the steps you would take for conducting the post-mortem examination.

40. Distinguish between an "Illusion" and "Delusion."

--end

Comment

• Some references to JtR from the emlarged 1916 edition of the 1890 Havelock Ellis boo, The Criminal.

The Criminal (London: Walter Scott, 1916)
                            by Havelock Ellis

Fifth Edition, Revised and Enlarged [1st 1890]

Pages 220

After every celebrated or startling crime, some weak-minded and impressionable persons go and commit the like, or give themselves up to the police under the impression that they have been guilty of the crime. It is youths and children who are especially prone to the imitation of criminal events from books or from real life. After the murders associated with the name of Jack the Ripper several murders by young children took place throughout the country.

Page 354

The popular excitement over "Jack the Ripper," and the Crown Prince Rudolph of Austria, may be specially mentioned as having produced a large number of crimes. They are, however, by no means isolated examples.

Pages 371-372

It is useless, or worse than useless, to occupy ourselves with methods for improving the treatment of criminals, so long as the conditions of life render the prison a welcome and desired shelter. So long as we foster the growth of the reckless classes we foster the growth of criminality. So long as there are a large body of women in the East of London, and in other large centres, who are prepared to say: "It's Jack the Ripper or the bridge with me. What's the odds ?"(1) there will be a still larger number of persons who will willingly accept the risks of prison. "What's the odds?" Liberty is dear to every man who is fed and clothed and housed, and he will not usually enter a career of crime unless he has carefully calculated the risks of losing his liberty and found them small; but food and shelter are even more precious than liberty, and these may be secured in a prison.

(1) Pall Mall Gazette, 4th Nov. 1889.

Pages 425-427

Appendix

[...]

Page 281. The Sadistic Factor in Criminality.—The morbid element in criminality is well illustrated by that class of crime—-the most obviously horrible of all—-in which blood is shed in order to gratify a perverted and more or less overpowering sexual impulse. I have discussed the origin and nature of this impulse in the study of "Love and Pain" in the third volume of Studies in the Psychology of Sex. The acts of the sadistic criminal pervert are best known in England by the series of "Jack the Ripper" crimes, the perpetrator of which was never detected. His essential character may, however, be judged by that of the author of an almost precisely similar series of crimes in France, Vacher, whose case has been studied with much zeal and care by several distinguished psychologists, anatomists, and criminal anthropologists working in association (Laborde, Manouvrier, Papillault, and Gelle, "Etude psycho-physiologique, médico-légale et anatomique sur Vacher,"Bulletin de la Société d'Anthropologic de Paris, fasc. v., 1899; Lacassagne also has embodied a medico-legal investigation of Vacher in a volume in which he studies the whole subject, Vacher l'Eventreur et les Crimes Sadiques).

Vacher was born in 1869 at Beaufort (Isere), and belonged to a large and honest family, cultivators of the soil. The ancestry appeared to be quite healthy, though it was subsequently learned that the father, at the age of forty, and before Vacher's birth, had suffered from a prolonged fever, during which he had to be strapped down; it was also found that another very near relation suffers from mental attacks, during which he quits his work suddenly and runs at random, shouting and singing. Vacher does not appear to have suffered from any serious early illness, but from childhood he is described as sulky, disobedient, unsociable, and later incapable of work. At the age of eighteen he was placed in a monastery as a postulant; two years later he was sent away, having made attempts to commit unnatural offences on his comrades, attempts which he renewed on a child. A little later we find him in the hospital with a venereal disorder. In 1890 began his period of military service. At this time definite mental symptoms appeared; he obtained the grade of sergeant, but he was feared by all under him, and was liable to attacks of extremely violent conduct. In 1891 he was placed in the infirmary for observation, as being subject to "gloomy ideas, with delusions of persecution"; there was also a certain incoherence in his language. He was shortly after sent to the hospital with a diagnosis of "mental troubles." This rather vague diagnosis was here interpreted more precisely as "melancholia, with ideas of persecution, impulses of violence, and erotomania." Nor were associated impulses to homicide and suicide absent, for when sent away as convalescent he went to join a young woman whom he was to marry. She, however, would now have nothing to do with him; whereupon he fired at her with a revolver, and then attempted to kill himself. The girl's wound was slight, his own serious, for the shot were left in his head, producing inflammation of the inner ear, deafness, and facial paralysis on one side. It is suggested that hereby his mental troubles were complicated by hallucinations of hearing. However that may be, having again been put under observation in an asylum, he was finally dismissed from the army on account of "mental troubles." Up to this point there is no question as to Vacher's insanity. Lacassagne, however, and the officially appointed experts who reported on the case, believe that he left the asylum sane, and that he was fully responsible for the subsequent acts. This conclusion is attacked with much point and vigour by Laborde, while Manouvrier wisely remarks that the question is insoluble.

Now began the series of crimes—-at least eleven in number—-with which Vacher's name is associated. They all have the same stereotyped character, and are marked by premeditation and system. He selected a young shepherd or shepherdess (sex apparently made little or no difference) in an isolated spot, and strangled the victim, then cutting the throat; next he proceeded to disembowelling, and to removal of breasts or testes; finally he struck the victim at random, and violated the corpse. He would bring with him a change of clothes, and putting them on he would leave the spot with much rapidity and go so long a distance (he had a powerful muscular system) that identification became impossible. He maintained that he was "executing the orders of God, who had sent him on earth to punish men for their crimes." He also asserted that he was moved by a sudden and irresistible impulse, a rage for blood. Finally, having been caught, and the official experts declaring that he was completely responsible for his actions, Vacher was executed.

His brain came into the hands of Dr. Toulouse, who cut up the right hemisphere for histological purposes, and put the left into a powerful preservative solution, then inviting Professor Manouvrier to examine it. According to the report of the latter, it was no longer possible to form an exact estimate of the weight of the brain, but this was clearly over the average, and the fissures were also deep; it must be remembered, however, that Vacher was well developed generally. There were no signs of adherence of the pia mater. A few variations in the fissures and convolutions were noted, but not of an excessively rare character; it would be quite fanciful, Manouvrier declares, to regard them as stigmata of degenerescence.

It is of interest to compare with Vacher another criminal sadist who was of different temperament but not less typical of a group. This is Riedel, who was very thoroughly studied by Lacassagne, Rousset, and Papillon. ("L'Affaire Riedel", Archives d'Anthropologic Criminelle, Oct.-Nov. 1907.) Riedel was a congenital sanguinary sadist of eighteen, a seminarist who killed another boy and was finally sent to an asylum. From the age of four he had had voluptuous sensations connected with ideas of blood and of killing, and liked to play games of killing with other children. Unlike Vacher, he was infantile in physical development, with a pleasant, childlike expression of face. He was very timid, modest, and delicate, strongly religious in temperament, and he hated obscenity and immorality. But the love of blood and of murder was an irresistible obsession, and its gratification produced immense emotional relief.

There is some difference of opinion as to whether sadistic and similar crimes involve insanity and legal irresponsibility. This is illustrated by the various views maintained in regard to Vacher. The general question is discussed by Dr. Harold Moyer, "Is Sexual Perversion Insanity?" {Alienist and Neurologist, 1908) and he decides that it is not. The same view is maintained by Dr. J. G. Kiernan in an interesting paper, bringing together many cases, on "Psychological Aspects of the Sexual Appetite" (Alienist and Neurologist, April 1891). It seems to be unquestionable that sexual perversion in itself by no means involves insanity, though it may often involve constitutional degeneration. When, however, such perversion is manifested in a violently anti-social manner the question of insanity must always come up for consideration.

--end

Comment

• A poem written by Havelock Ellis about a woman who was executed for the assassination of Czar Alexander II.

To-day: The Monthly Magazine of Scientific Socialism, Volume 1, No, 4, April, 1884, Page 256
                              edited by Ernest Belfort Bax, James Leigh Joynes, F. Bland, Hubert Bland

Sophia Perovskaia

Executed 16th April, 1881

She would not share the lot of those who make
                              The world a nest of ills; she gladly met
                              The thorns of that strange crown, their guerdon yet,
                              Who of Life's bread of freedom dare to break,
                              And pour Life's wine that after men partake;
                              And having laboured to redeem the debt
                              The ages owed, aye, not till she had set
                              A Czar towards death, she died for Life's sweet sake.

Heroes and martyrs love and suffer still:
                              As flashes from earth's smithy they are hurled
                              About the sky to lighten darkest nights.
                              This has been so for ever, and ever will,
                              When on the anvil of the grief-worn world
                              God lays the human mighty Heart and smites.

H. Havelock Ellis.

--end

Who's Who (London: Adam and Charles Black, 1907), Pages 552-553

ELLIS, Henry Havelock, L.S.A.; Fellow of the Medico-legal Society of New York and the Anthropological Inst, of Great Britain Honorary Fellow of the Chicago Academy of Medicine, etc.; general editor of the Contemporary Science Series (1889); b. Croydon, Surrey, 2 Feb, 1859, belonging on both sides to families connected with the sea, and spent much of childhood on sea (Pacific, etc.); m. Edith M. O. Lees, 1891 (Mrs. Havelock Ellis has written Seaweed: a Cornish Idyll, and My Cornish Neighbours). Educ.: private schools; St. Thomas's Hospital. Engaged in teaching in various parts of New South Wales, 1875-79; returned to England and qualified as a medical man, but only practised for a short time, having become absorbed in literary and scientific work; edited the Mermaid Series of Old Dramatists, 1887-89. Publications: The New Spirit, 1800; The Criminal, 1890 (3rd ed. revised and enlarged, 1901): Man and Woman: A Study of Human Secondary Sexual Characters, 1894 (4th ed. revised and enlarged, 1904); Sexual Inversion, being vol. ii. of Studies in the Psychology of Sex, 1897; Affirmations, 1897; The Evolution of Modesty, etc., being vol. i. of Studies in the Psychology of Sex, 1899 ; The Nineteenth Century: A Dialogue in Utopia, 1900; Analysis of the Sexual Impulse, 1903, Sexual Selection in Man. 190Ô, Erotic Symbolism, 1906, being vols. iii., iv., and v. of Studies in the Psychology of Sex. Recreation: travel chiefly. Address; Carbis Water, Lelant, Cornwall.

--end

Comment

• A summary of the publishing history of the Free Review, with some relevant links and excerpts. Note that in Volume 9 "De Villiers" provides a clue to his true identity by discussing the condensing of grape juice. Also note the threatening letter from Scotland Yard in olume 10.

Anne Humpherys, The Journals that Did: Writing about Sex in the late 1890s, link
                                19: Interdisciplinary Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century, 3 (2006)

Because the University Magazine and Free Review is relatively unknown a discussion of its history may prove useful. Briefly the Free Review began life in 1893, founded and edited by the future Liberal M.P. John Mckinnen Robertson, a protégé of the secularist Charles Bradlaugh. It was designed at its beginning as a continuation of Bradlaugh’s National Reformer which ceased publication in 1893 after Bradlaugh’s death in 1891. In the initial number Robertson wrote that it was ‘an attempt to make a platform for opinions which are more or less unlikely to get a hearing in even the more advanced of the established reviews, with perhaps the exception of the Westminster’ (1 [1893], p.2).

The publisher of the Free Review was the distinguished progressive firm of Swan Sonneschein.15 Robertson edited the Free Review until September 1895 at which point he sold it either to Roland de Villiers or George Astor Singer and one or the other of them became the editor.16 Swan Sonneschein continued to publish the journal until 1897 when that role was taken over by the University Press, first located at 16 John Street, which Bedborough also used as a house and office. Soon after the University Press took over the publication from Swan Sonnenschein, it moved to Watford (at this point the press was sometimes known as The University Press at Watford). In addition to its two journals, it had a sizable list of progressive publications.17 And of course, it also published Havelock Ellis’s first volume of Studies in the Psychology of Sex on Sexual Inversion and more surprisingly the second volume which appeared after the Bedborough trial.18

The editor of the University Magazine and Free Review was now ‘Democritus’ but, according to the British Library catalogue, continued to be Singer, though Singer said it was de Villiers. The title of the journal changed to the University Magazine and Free Review. In 1899, in the wake of the Bedborough trial, the journal became an annual, the University Magazine, still edited by Democritus, though the British Library catalogue says this was now Allan Laidlaw. However, the University Press in 1900 published two pamphlets about the Bedborough trial by Democritus, and the British Library catalogue lists this Democritus as Singer. The last issue of the University Magazine was in 1900.

[...]

As should be obvious, George Astor Singer and Roland de Villiers were the same person although none of the parties knew this. Despite the fact that Ellis had his suspicions,21 no one was to know for sure until January 1902 when Singer/de Villiers (he had, according to the police, at least 30 other aliases22) was finally arrested for selling obscene literature and died in police custody, the coroner said by apoplexy. His actual name, again according to the police, was Ferdinand Springmuhl von Weisenfeld. They said he was the son of a German judge, and had come to England in 1880 where he began a career of petty crime for which he had spent twelve months in jail for forgery.23

It is not known how he surfaced in the mid-1890s as a respectable editor and publisher with strong connections to the free thought and secularist world; nor is it known from where he had acquired the £10,000 with which he founded the University Press. Probably he had developed connections among the free thought and secularist world since everyone else involved in the community of writers about sex met through these connections. Why Robertson sold the Free Review to Singer in 1895 is also unknown, and how he met him equally so.24 Singer must have seemed a little shady even at that early stage, and given the increased number of articles on the sexual problem after he took over the Free Review, it is hard to believe that Robertson didn’t sense a difference. Martin Page, a biographer of Robertson, referred to George Singer as ‘one of Robertson’s close friends.’25 In any case, Robertson, despite having to testify at the Bedborough trial26 and being, as it were, tainted by his connection to that case (he was a member of the defense committee27), continued to contribute to the University Magazine and Free Review until the very end in 1900, and the University Press continued to advertise and sell his books.

In 1899 the University Magazine and Free Review was driven to become an annual by reduced circulation which resulted from letters (supposedly from the police) to news agents across the country threatening them with arrest for distributing obscenity if they sold the journal. Bedborough in a deal with the police to avoid prosecution also fingered de Villiers as the publisher of Ellis, whereupon a order for de Villier’s arrest was issued. He disappeared, though George Singer (as Democritus) apparently continued to edit and write for the University Magazine and Free Review and to author several biting satires and commentaries on the Bedborough trial.28

[...]

--end

The Free Review (London: Swan Sonnenschein), Volume 1 (October, 1893 to March, 1894), link
                                edited by John Mackinnon Robertson

The Free Review (London: Swan Sonnenschein), Volume 2 (April to September, 1894), link, alternate link

The Free Review (London: Swan Sonnenschein), Volume 3 (October, 1894 to March, 1895), link

The Free Review (London: Swan Sonnenschein), Volume 4 (April to September, 1895), link

September, 1895, Page 576

SPECIAL
                                NOTICE TO READERS AND CORRESPONDENTS.

I have to intimate to the readers of the Free Review that on the issue of this number it will pass into the hands of a new Proprietor and Editor, Mr. George A. Singer, M.A., who I trust will be able greatly to extend its usefulness. In his hands the Review will be managed on the same lines on which it has hitherto been conducted, and I shall have the pleasure of remaining associated with it as a contributor. The valued colleagues who have constituted its main strength during the two years of its existence will also continue to write for it, and I earnestly trust that all who have thus far befriended it will give their support to the new management.

John M. Robertson.

All literary communications and subscriptions henceforth to be addressed to Mr. George A. Singer, M.A., Cumberland House, Wembley, London.

Communications as to the trade supply of the Free Review should be sent to the publishers.

The Free Review (London: Swan Sonnenschein), Volume 5 (October, 1895 to March, 1896), link
                                edited by G. Astor Singer

The Free Review (London: Swan Sonnenschein), Volume 6 (April to September, 1896), link, alternate link

The Free Review (London: Swan Sonnenschein), Volume 7 (October, 1896 to March, 1897), link

The University Magazine and Free Review (London: The University Press), Volume 8 (April to September, 1897), link
                                edited by Democritus

The University Magazine and Free Review (London: The University Press), Volume 9 (October, 1897 to March, 1898), link
                                edited by Democritus

January, 1898, Page 345

Vegetarianism
                                by R. De Villers

The concentration of vegetable substances, especially the concentration of liquids and solutions in vacuo is of the greatest importance, if a gradual return to vegetable diet should ever take place. As an instance I may cite the concentration of grape juice and of fruit juices in general. Grapes contain from 80 to 85 per cent, of water, and in the process of concentration the bulk is reduced to one-fourth and even one-fifth of the original quantity. The flavour and even the ferment is maintained intact as the concentration takes place at a very low temperature. This is an industry already initiated on a large scale in California, Algeria, and Italy. It preserves the valuable juice of the grape and in a similar way by evaporation in huge vacuum apparatus can all kinds of fruit be preserved.

The University Magazine and Free Review, Volume 10 (April to September, 1898), link
                                edited by Democritus

August, 1898, Page 560

Prosecution of Mr. Bedborough.

Subscribers and friends of the University Magazine are urgently requested to send their names and addresses to the Manager of the University Press, Watford, near London.

A system of intimidating booksellers all over England has been adopted by some person or persons connected with the prosecution of Mr. George Bedborough, and, as a result, a number of retailers have notified their intention to discontinue the distribution of our publications. As nearly 75 per cent. of our subscribers are supplied by the book-trade, and as, therefore, their names are unknown to us we shall be unable to supply them if this boycott should continue.

The notice, or letter, received by many booksellers in London and elsewhere runs as follows: —

"PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.

"Criminal Investigation Department,

"Scotland Yard, W.C.

"Sir,—The arrest and committal of a London bookseller should serve you as a warning.

"Take notice that the police will arrest and prosecute any bookseller who in the future should sell the atheistic and abominable publications of the University Press.

"A Christian."

It is certain that these letters do not emanate from the Scotland Yard authorities, but from some person or society connected with or interested in the prosecution. There can, however, be no doubt that the object of frightening booksellers has been attained in many cases, so that we will have to discontinue the publication of the Magazine if our friends should fail to stand by us.

THE UNIVERSITY PRESS, Ld. BEDBOROUGH DEFENCE FUND.

At the request of the majority of contributors to this fund the list of contributions will be published after the trial. The amounts forwarded to the treasurer have been acknowledged individually.

Printed and Published by the University Press, Limited, Cromwell House, Watford. Herts.

September, 1898, Page 561

THE SWAN'S SONG.

The University Magazine And Free Review as a monthly review succumbs to the extensive boycott practised by frightened booksellers all over the country, in consequence of the Bedborough prosecution, and this number will be the last of the monthly issues.

The University Press, however, will publish annually, under the same title and on the same lines, a volume, uniform in size, print, and binding with this Magazine. This annual volume will contain a number of prize essays on the most important philosophical, psychological, and sociological subjects.

The University Magazine and Free Review (London: The Univerity Press), Volume 11 (1899), link
                                edited by Democritus

The University Magazine and Free Review (London: The Univerity Press), Volume 12 (1900), link
                                edited by Democritus

The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (New York, 1919), Volume 23, Page 561

ROBERTSON, John Mackinnon, British author, lecturer and legislator: b. Brodick, Isle of Arran, 14 Nov. 1856. He received an elementary education at Stirling, Scotland, but left school at the age of 13 years. In 1878 he joined the staff of The Edinburgh Evening News, as a leader writer, went to London in 1884 to join the staff of Bradlaugh's National Reformer, and was the editor of that publication from the time of Mr. Bradlaugh's death in 1891 until it went out of existence in 1893. Mr. Robertson then started The Free Review and was editor of that periodical until 1895. In that year he was the Independent Radical candidate for Parliament for Northampton, but was not elected. He made a lecturing tour in the United States during 1897-98, and in June 1900 he went to South Africa to investigate the condition of affairs in Cape Colony and Natal. His letters from South Africa to The Morning Leader, signed "Scrutator," attracted a great deal of attention at the time. He has been member of Parliament for the Tyneside Division of Northumberland since 1906, and was named a Privy Councilor in 1915. He was Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Trade from 1911 to 1915. He has written a number of books and essays on religious and literary subjects, among which are 'The Dynamics of Religion': 'Modern Humanists'; 'Buckle and His Critics'; 'History of Free Thought'; 'Christianity and Mythology'; 'Montaigne and Shakespeare'; 'The Baconian Heresy' and 'The Eight Hours Question.'

Comment

Working...
                                X