X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Here's Piser's relevant evidence, from the Telegraph;

"Where were you before two o'clock on Friday morning? - At eleven p.m. on Thursday I had my supper at the Round House.
    [Coroner] Did you go out? - Yes, as far as the Seven Sisters-road, and then returned towards Highgate way, down the Holloway-road. Turning, I saw the reflection of a fire. Coming as far as the church in the Holloway-road I saw two constables and the lodging-housekeeper talking together. There might have been one or two constables, I cannot say which. I asked a constable where the fire was, and he said it was a long way off. I asked him where he thought it was, and he replied: "Down by the Albert Docks." It was then about half-past one, to the best of my recollection. I went as far as Highbury Railway Station on the same side of the way, returned, and then went into the lodging house."

At the end of his evidence, the coroner says;
    "It is only fair to say that the witness's statements can be corroborated"

Presumably that includes the PC, but he isn't specifically mentioned. Being in Holloway Road, would that mean he was from G division?
    Last edited by Joshua Rogan; 11-08-2017, 07:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    well thicke was the one who knew him and arrested him as leather apron, but don't think he was the one who alibied him.

ive always been a little suspicious about that alibi though. it was for the Nichols murder correct?

didn't he also have an alibi for the chapman murder?

Leave a comment:

• The Station Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by TomTomKent View Post
    I think so. Of the top of my head they remembered the night because they were watching a coal fire when he spoke to them?

If I am wrong, I will be really interested to find out, as it is one of those things I am sure I read somewhere and have taken for granted since.

That's what I thought as well, but I can't find any reference to this mysterious Constable ever being named? Which beggars the question, was this something else made up by the press which has passed into Ripper Lore as fact?

Leave a comment:

• TomTomKent
    replied
    Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
    Is it known, whether the name of the Constable John Pizer spoke to on the night of the Nichols murder was ever ascertained?
    I think so. Of the top of my head they remembered the night because they were watching a coal fire when he spoke to them?

If I am wrong, I will be really interested to find out, as it is one of those things I am sure I read somewhere and have taken for granted since.

Leave a comment:

• The Station Cat
    started a topic John Pizer and his Constable alibi?

John Pizer and his Constable alibi?

Is it known, whether the name of the Constable John Pizer spoke to on the night of the Nichols murder was ever ascertained?
Working...
X