No announcement yet.

Barnett in 1901?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder if Joe Barnett's complaint was "injury to ilia" - his hip bone?

Comment

Yep, possibly Mystery S - I have a vague notion that there was a reason that I thought the word was 'the' - perhaps based on other examples of this handwriting - we're only getting a tiny bit here - but can't remember now.

JB did suffer from 'gout' in his legs though - hard to know whether it was actually gout or not - but still, anything involving the legs is a possibility - maybe it does say 'Ilia' - although possibly a bit technical for the Raine St. Infirmary records?

I don't know, it's been a long time since I've looked at them!

Comment

Hi Sally
        Hope you are well.
        We did a LOT of work on the other forum trying to find the elusive Joseph and wife Louisa.
        We did a deep, deep dive using Ancestry to try and find a "Louisa", an "Emily Louisa", a "Louisa Emily" or an "Emily".
        The challenge is they never officially married, just called them selves married.
        We don't know if the "Emily Barnett" from the 1901 Census was simply a written error (and it was really Louisa).
        I was also intrigued by a newspaper story at the time that said Joseph had married / living with a woman who gave a testimony at the inquest.
        I'll PM you - I have a lot of pages from previous research which could help
        All the best
        Craig

Comment

Hi Sally, Robert, Craig, MS..

Chris Scott sent off for the 1887 marriage certificate of Louisa Rowe and Joseph Barnett. Of course, the certificate was not the right person but I was sure he had posted the actual details either here or on JTR Forums but I am unable to find them again.

One angle I looked at was similar to Craig's but didn't pan out for a couple of reasons as I recall. In the records for Whitechapel Infirmary in the 70's a girl named Louisa Allbrook b 1867 kept popping up. As Lizzie Allbrook herself has been difficult to locate so far I had wondered if there was a link here, maybe a sibling or an alternative first name for Lizzie as Louisa. That got me wondering about the Wheeling Register reference to Barnett taking up with one of the witnesses at Miller's Court too. The problem was that in 1881 and 1891 Louisa Allbrook was living as a servant in Lancashire.
          Last edited by Debra A; 02-22-2016, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Debs, Craig's post #53.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Thanks Robert. I forgot Craig had got the certificate too.
              It might have been that Chris sent me the marriage details by PM.
              I'd forgotten how long we've been at this!

Comment

I know it's taken as read that Joe Barnett was "married" to Agnes Louisa Rowe but how do we know that was his partner for sure (official or otherwise)?

Comment

Hi all

Just going over my notes from research on Joseph Barnett a number of years ago. It's a bit rough - apologies up front.

His father John Barnett (bapt 2/12/1815 in Ballyhhooly, Castletowneroche,Ireland). His mother was Catherine Heas (bapt 27/5/1821 in Castletowneroche). Catherinee’s mother – Johanna Hayes / Heas – is staying with them at some stage.

Census & voting records

In the 1851 London Census, John Bernet (spelling) bn 1811 Ireland, (labourer) wife Catherine (bn 1815, Ireland) and son Dennis (bn 1849, Ireland) living at Tower Hamlet, Whitechapel.

1861 census (conducted in April 1861)
                  Parents john 43 yo so bn 1818 Catharine 40 yo so bn 1821
                  Father a porter at billingsworth, bn Ireland
                  Siblings Dennis 12 yo, Daniel 9 y.o (Born 1853), Catharine 8 yo, joseph 3 y.o, , john just born 1861 . Living at 2 Cartwright St , Aldgate

1871 Census
                  Parents have gone
                  Joseph 13 y.o., Daniel 20 (Fishmonger, family head) Catharine 17, John 9
                  24 Great Pearl St, Spitalfield

1881 census - lodger, general labourer. Living with baileys at 1 horatio st, bethnal green with brother John Barnett (fish porter)

1891 census - can't find
                  However we suspect he's in London as he was in Raine St infirmary in Jan 1900 and again in 1903

In 1901 Census. There is a Joseph Barnet (spelling) 48 y.o. so born 1853 dock labourer and wife Emily Barnet 46 .o. (so born 1855) - no job - in Old Gravel Lane, St George East. Boarding with the Hostler family. Both born in St George in East.

1911 Census
                  Joseph Barnet on his own 2 April 1911. Married 23 years (so m 1888). Fish porter at Billingsworth. Living in 1 room dwelling At 60 Red Lion Street. In St George in the East, london. No wife there Born Whitechapel..1858. 53 y.o.
                  Wife - Louisa was in the St George in the East Workhouse Infirmary, 1 Raine St, St George in the East. She has 23 years married on census. Birthplace is Bethnal Green. 55 y.o. Bn 1856.
                  1911 Census was conducted April 1 -2, so Louisa was born between April 1855 - March 1856

1926 - Joseph & Louisa at 106 Red Lion St, Shadwell (Tower Hamlets County) with Alfred Dennis and William & Dorothy Farmer

Marriage

A Louise Rowe married Jospeph Barnett in Sept 1887 quarter in Hackney Vol 1b 1884
                  However, is not our Joseph as this Barnett was a mariner and his father was "Michael Barnett".

Most likely is Joseph and Louisa were not formally married

Medical

I think following is from another Casebook post

Raine Street Infirmary
                  Here is the information extracted from the Raine Street Infirmary records regarding Joseph and Louisa Barnett between 1898 and 1904:

Louisa Barnett: b.1856
                  Date of admission: 2nd November 1898
                  Malady: Poisoned Hand
                  Date of discharge: 22nd November 1898
                  Reason: Own Desire

Joseph Barnett: b.1859 (aged 40)
                  Date of admission: 22nd September 1899
                  Malady: Gout
                  Date of discharge: 18th November 1899
                  Reason: Own Residence

Joseph Barnett: b.1859
                  Date of admission: 25th November 1899
                  Malady: Gout
                  Date of discharge: 22nd January 1900
                  Reason: Own Desire

Joseph Barnett: b.1859 (aged 44)
                  Date of admission:18th December 1903
                  Malady: Injury to head?
                  Date of discharge: 8th March 1904
                  Reason: Own Residence

The 1902 admission was for 3 months (???) so may have been serious.

We can see from the entries over autumn/winter of 1899-1900 that Joseph's gout was giving him trouble. Interestingly, a John Barnett listed in the records for the Whitechapel Infirmary, who I think might be his brother John was also suffering from Rheumatism in his leg or gout.

Death

Joseph Barnett
                  Died 29 November, 1926 68 years old
                  Death certificate records : Address 106 Red Lion St, Shadwell. Job was Dockworker. Death cedema of the lungs and bronchitis

Louisa Barnett
                  Died 3 November, 1926
                  (70 y.o)
                  Same address
                  GRO Death certificate December qtr 1926, Stepney, Volume 1c Page 355

Louisa was buried in a 2nd class commons (paupers/public) grave in Square 415 grave number 100354. I can’t see what cemetery. Will need to look a notes again

Sorry -above notes are a bit rough

All the best

Craig

Comment

Hi Craig
                    As an addition, we also know now that Barnett was living at 4 James Place, Cannon St Rd St George East in 1897 as he's mentioned in his brother Daniel's infirmary notes I posted earlier.
                    There were also two men named John Barnett of the same age in the infirmary records, one born on the same street as Joseph (Hairbrain ct) but to a single mother IIRC. I'd have to re-check. One is listed in the Infirmary with Pearly Poll listed below him. Small world.

Comment

Hi Craig

It seems to me to have 'musician' as his occupation on the Louisa marriage.

Here's a link to some work Chris did on Joe's mum :

Comment

Hi Debra
                        That's interesting about the Joseph Barnett in the infirmary at the same time as Pearly Poll.
                        Can you post any more information on that ?
                        One of the ideas we explored several years ago was that article which mentioned that Joe Barnett was living with someone who was at the inquest.
                        I had been doing some research around "Mary Ann Cox" but forgot she may have used "Pearly Poll" instead.
                        That was the article when a journalist actually quoted Barnett
                        Craig

Comment

Admitted Tuesday 11th January 1916

A Louise or Louisa? Barnet aged 58 was admitted to St George in the East Infirmary with Bronchitis. Her profession was Charring, her religion C of E and her next of kin was husband Joseph who lived at same address as her, 4 Chandler Street.

Dont know if this one has been seen?
                          Pat.............
                          Last edited by Paddy; 02-22-2016, 08:17 PM. Reason: omission

Comment

Hi Pat
                            Thanks .... I hadn't seen that
                            Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig H View Post
                              Hi Debra
                              That's interesting about the Joseph Barnett in the infirmary at the same time as Pearly Poll.
                              Can you post any more information on that ?
                              One of the ideas we explored several years ago was that article which mentioned that Joe Barnett was living with someone who was at the inquest.
                              I had been doing some research around "Mary Ann Cox" but forgot she may have used "Pearly Poll" instead.
                              That was the article when a journalist actually quoted Barnett
                              Craig
                              Hi Craig
                              It was one of the two John Barnetts I mentioned in my earlier post that was in the Infirmary with Pearly Poll, not Joseph.
                              One John was Joseph's brother and another of the same age who also appears in the records but was born born in Hairbrain Court to a different family.

I started several threads on JTRForums about Pearly Poll's whereabouts after 1888, you should be able to view them on the links below I think. I found that PP entered the St George East Infirmary in the Autumn of 1888, shortly after her witness appearance at the Tabram murder, and stayed for a long time. She also had throat surgery in later life.
                              Here's the threads if you're interested:

I also looked along the same lines with the Wheeling register gossip as I mentioned a few posts ago and was looking at a Louisa Allbrook in the Whitechapel infirmary records (daughter of William and Jane), wondering if she may have been a sibling or alternative name for Lizzie Allbrook, who herself is difficult to trace. Unfortunately that didn't pan out as Louisa Allbrook was working as a servant in Lancashire in 1881 and 1891.

Debs

Comment

Hi Deb

Interesting to read your previous posts about MAC.

Do you read anything in MAC and John Barnett being in infirmary records one after each other, or just co-incidence ?

Is there any record of MAC or Pearly Poll after 1889 ?

I wonder if she could have moved in with Joe and Cha fed her name to Louisa ?

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X