The fate of Joseph Barnett's Mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fate of Joseph Barnett's Mother

It has been a bit of a mystery as to what happened to Catherine, Joseph Barnett's mother. After the 1861 census she simply seems to disappear. We know that her husband died in 1864, but the ouitline below may cast some light on what happened to her. If I am correct she remarried in 1885 and died in the same year under the name of Catherine Allman.

Catherine Barnett

Mother of Joseph Barnett, wife of John Barnett who died in 1864.
    She is listed in 1861 as being 40 years of age and born in Ireland.
    If she is in the 1871 census she should be listed as a widow, unless she married in the intervening years, of which I have found no evidence.

This entry in 1871 caught my attention:
    4 Glasshouse Street, Whitechapel
    Head: Thomas Allman (Widower) aged 49 born County Cork, Ireland - Dock labourer
    Daughter: Margaret Allman aged 12 born Whitechapel
    Servant: Catherine Barnett (Widow) aged 48 born County Cork, Ireland - General servant

This Catherine Barnett was still living with Thomas Allman and his daughter in 1881:
    Cohen's Buildings, Whitechapel
    Head: Thomas Allman aged 58 born Ireland - General labourer
    Daughter: Margaret Allman aged 21 born Whitechapel - Warehouse assistant
    Servant: Catherine Barnett aged 58 born Ireland - Sack maker

If my interpretation of events is correct, Thomas Allman married twice more.
    In 1885 Thomas Allman married Catherine Barnett under a very strange version of her name - she is listed as Katharine Barnetto (see below). This took place in Holborn in the second quarter of 1885. In the next quarter, the third quarter of 1885, Catherine Allman, as she had then become, died in Whitechapel (see below). Her age at death is given as 58, but she would actually have been somewhere about 63.
    Thomas Allman married again in 1891 in Whitechapel just about the time of the census (Quarter 2) to a woman named Mary Leary.
    He and his new wife are listed in 1891 as follows:
    Cohen's Buildings (42 Royal Mint Street), Whitechapel
    Head: Thomas Allman aged 68 born Ireland - General labourer
    Wife: Mary Allman aged 46 born Ireland - Sack maker
    Stepchildren:
    Daniel Leary aged 11 born Whitechapel
    Ellen Leary aged 14 born Whitechapel - Tailor's shop girl
    Attached Files

Interesting new information Chris, thanks for posting.
    There was a long discussion thread on the old boards about whether the Catherine Barnett living with Thomas Allman was Joseph's mother or not, but no one got as far as tying her into a marriage with Thomas Allman for a reason for her disappearance by 91. We were all looking for a death!

Well spotted.

Comment

Hi Debs!
      Only just seen your reply - old age creeping up on me!
      Thanks for the comments about Allman.
      I must stress that this scenario contains speculation in that it relies on Catherine Barnett and the mysterious Katharine Barnetto being the same woman, but the near alignment of their names suggested this to me
      Why this very odd version of her name would have been used is unknown
      I have looked for other traces of a Barnetto. There was an Eliza Barnetto in the 1901 census but I have looked at the original entry and this is undoubtedly a mistranscription for Eliza Barnett
      Thanks again
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
        I have looked for other traces of a Barnetto.
        If I understand correctly, Chris, you're saying that there was [cue drumroll under lush strings]... "Just one Barnetto!"
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

You didnt really say that did you????
          I don't think there is an "emoticon" for a loud enough groan!

Comment

I've have just noticed this thread. Brilliant Chris! That is the evidence!To find the marriage and death of Catherine. I had all the Allman stuff and the O leary marriage but to find out she Married ALLMAN really blows Paley's stupid theory,joewaspsycobecause mum dissapearedanbecamea prostitute theory out the water.
            As I always believed Joe came from a very close knit 1rish extended family. After the death of John the father, Catherine would have faced starvation with her family, so she shacks up with widower Allman, an irish dockworker like her husband, and probably known to her family, as he had been living in Glasshouse St a couple of streets down from where the Barnetts had been living. Those streets were full of 1rish dockworkers.There is nothing to suggest Catherine did not stay in touch with her children. Denis [till his marriage 1869 ]and then Daniel looked after the younger ones.
            Miss MARPLE

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
              ... he had been living in Glasshouse St a couple of streets down from where the Barnetts had been living.
              See a new thread I've started for a splendid image of Glasshouse Street. (New thread here.)

Chris - I think you'll be a wee bit interested in what's there
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Gareth
                many thanks for the link to the new thread
                and yes am VERY interested:-)

Comment

Working...
                X