Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative entrences / exits to #29 Hanbury crime scene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From The Echo 10th Sept 1888:

Mrs. Richardson, who superintends a packing-case business carried on at the back of the premises, says that, strangely enough her grandson, Charles Cooksey, was to have slept in the back room on Friday night; but he told her he did not like to, remarking, "I shan't sleep in there to-night, granny." That room, on the ground-floor, within six feet of where Annie Chapman's body lay, was unoccupied. "Had my grandson slept there," said Mrs. Richardson, "he must have heard the miscreant kill the poor woman."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
      I find it hard to believe Richardson could sit on that step and not see the body, or smell it for that matter...
      Hi Dave

At the inquest John Richardson was described as giving his evidence as if he had a heavy cold. This no doubt, would affect his sense of smell.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
        It's also interesting that Thomas richardson alerted his mother to the murder.
        Hi Rocky

He was sent downstairs by Amelia to investigate all the commotion in the passageway. Their initial fear was that there was a fire.

Comment

Why doesn't amelia hear the ripper enter? Does she hear her son john walk thru the hall? It sounds like the residents hear everyone who walks thru, and amelia knows everyone's schedule. So if the ripper walked thru, she would've heard it, unless she's a heavy sleeper....but then why does Thompson waker her up? It's all wrong

Amelia Richardson herself states that she would have heard people pass up the passageway unless they made an effort not to be heard.

Amelia Richardson woke Thompson for work (knocked up) and would have heard him move about in his room which was situated above her`s, and walking down the stairs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
            From The Echo 10th Sept 1888:

Mrs. Richardson, who superintends a packing-case business carried on at the back of the premises, says that, strangely enough her grandson, Charles Cooksey, was to have slept in the back room on Friday night; but he told her he did not like to, remarking, "I shan't sleep in there to-night, granny." That room, on the ground-floor, within six feet of where Annie Chapman's body lay, was unoccupied. "Had my grandson slept there," said Mrs. Richardson, "he must have heard the miscreant kill the poor woman."
            Thx jon, Maybe little tommy knew something bad was going to happen

Comment

Thx jon, Maybe little tommy knew something bad was going to happen
              Perhaps, his dad had a quiet word with him .... ;-)

Comment

• Hi all

Or perhaps people moving about in the yard was a more common occurrence than we think and it frightened him.
                All the best.

Comment

• Mrs. Richardson, the landlady of 29 Hanbury street, the house where the body of the deceased was found, in the course of an interview, said:- "I have lived at this house fifteen years, and my lodgers are poor but hard working people. Some have lodged with me as long as twelve years. They mostly work at the Fish Market or the Spitalfields Market. Some of the carmen in the Fish Market go out to work as early as one a.m., while others go out at four and five, so that the place is open all night, and any one can get in. It is certain that the deceased came voluntarily into the yard, as if there had been any struggle it must have been heard. Several lodgers sleep at the back of the house, and some had their windows open, but no noise was heard from the yard. One of my lodgers, a carman, named Thompson, employed at Goodson's, in Brick lane, went out at four o'clock in the morning. He did not go into the yard, but he did not notice anything particular in the passage as he went out. My son John came in at ten minutes to five, and gave a look round before he went to market. He went through to the yard, but no one was there then, and everything was right. Just before six o'clock, when Mr. Davis, another of my lodgers, came down, he found the deceased lying in the corner of the yard, close to the house, and by the side of the step. The lower part of her body was uncovered. There was not the slightest sign of a struggle, and the pool of blood which flowed from the throat after it was cut was close to the step where she lay. She does not appear to have moved an inch after the fiend struck her with the knife. She must have died instantly. The murderer must have gone away from the spot covered with blood. There was an earthenware pan containing water in the yard; but this was not discoloured, and could not, therefore, have been used by the murderer. The only possible clue that I can think of is that Mr. Thompson's wife met a man about a month ago lying on the stairs. This was about four o'clock in the morning. He looked like a Jew; and spoke with a foreign accent. When asked what he was doing there, he replied that he was waiting to do a 'doss' before the market opened. He slept on the stairs that night, and I believe he has slept on the stairs on other nights. Mrs. Thompson is certain she could recognise the man again, both by his personal appearance and his peculiar voice. The police have taken a full and careful description of this man."

From evening standard sept 10. Just posting for refreshment. I wonder does anyone know where I read amelia richardson say her son kept a knife in the cellar with his leather apron? John Richardson was the last known person in the yard before the body was discovered at 6 by Davis. So richardson goes into the yard and sits down, pulls out his knife and ****s with his boot, he can't cut it cuz the butter knife isn't sharp enough. Why doesn't he go into the cellar and get his knife? If there so worried about about robbery why is the leather apron left out where it can be stolen? Basically John richardson sits on the steps and pulls out his knife....and then he leaves and the ripper goes to the exact same spot and pulls out his knife. Strange coincidence huh? The ripper only has less than an hour because richardson enter the yard at 10 to 5 and Davis finds the body at 6. Seems so strange that Richardson would be in the spot with his knife out, and in such a short time the ripper would be in the same spot also with his knife out....

Comment

• Strange coincidences do happen in life. The cellar doors were locked and padlocked, maybe bolted as well. Richardson was due at the market where he worked in less than ten minutes.

IF he did know there was a sharp knife down in the cellar, yes, he could have retrieved it after a lot of unbolting, unlocking the padlock etc., then doing the same thing in reverse after replacing the knife.

Or he could have just waited ten minutes till he got to the Spitalfields Market.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                      Strange coincidences do happen in life. The cellar doors were locked and padlocked, maybe bolted as well. Richardson was due at the market where he worked in less than ten minutes.

IF he did know there was a sharp knife down in the cellar, yes, he could have retrieved it after a lot of unbolting, unlocking the padlock etc., then doing the same thing in reverse after replacing the knife.

Or he could have just waited ten minutes till he got to the Spitalfields Market.
                      So he's only got a few minutes to get to work and he decides to have a seat in the yard & pick at his boot with a butter knife?

Comment

So he's only got a few minutes to get to work and he decides to have a seat in the yard & pick at his boot with a butter knife?
                        He's got ten minutes. The market is two blocks away. He's fine for time if he wants to try and fix a boot, but much less so if he wants to commit a murder and clean up afterward.
                        - Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                          He's got ten minutes. The market is two blocks away. He's fine for time if he wants to try and fix a boot, but much less so if he wants to commit a murder and clean up afterward.
                          It's a small window, but do we have any confirmation that Richardson wasn't in the yard earlier than he said? Are we positive he started work at 5? It's odd that he was aloud to leave work shortly after 6 when he had no idea the murder was in his mothers yard.

Richard was in the militia, what would this have been like in his era?

Comment

It's a small window, but do we have any confirmation that Richardson wasn't in the yard earlier than he said?
                            You were the one, I believe, arguing that he had to admit being in the yard at that time for fear that someone would have seen him entering/leaving.
                            - Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                              You were the one, I believe, arguing that he had to admit being in the yard at that time for fear that someone would have seen him entering/leaving.
                              I believe he came up with the story of cobbling his boot because he was worried someone had seen him with a knife in his hand
                              Last edited by RockySullivan; 01-07-2015, 12:50 AM.

Comment

• Hi all

We know Thompson was the 4 o' clock carman, Who was the 5 o' clock one?
                                All the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X