A bump for the JtR Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Richard,
    I have several suggestions to make, but they require expanding the scope of the map. However, they are important points. Perhaps it's worth considering integrating them.
    What do you think?

1. City of London Cemetery
    – Mary Ann “Polly” Nichols’ grave
    – Catherine Eddowes’ grave
    – Joseph Merrick’s (Elephant Man) grave

2. Manor Park Cemetery
    – Annie Chapman's grave

Click image for larger version  Name:	manor park cemetery + city london cemetery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.9 KB ID:	826281

3. St Patrick’s Catholic Cemetery
    – Mary Jane Kelly's grave
    – The Birbeck public house where Joseph Barnett and those who had attended Mary Jane's funeral went for a drink.

Click image for larger version  Name:	st patrick's catholic cemetery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.8 KB ID:	826280

4. East London Cemetery
    – Elizabeth Stride

Click image for larger version  Name:	east london cemetery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.5 KB ID:	826279​​

Overview of cemeteries:

Click image for larger version  Name:	vue d'ensemble.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.8 KB ID:	826282

5. Shoreditch Mortuary
    behind St Leonard's Church: where Thomas Bond and George Bagster Phillips examined the body of Mary Jane Kelly

Click image for larger version  Name:	shoreditch mortuary.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.2 KB ID:	826278

PS: sorry my poor english !!!
    Last edited by Charlie; 11-26-2023, 06:31 PM.
    “There had been a madness of murder in the air. Some red star had come too close to the earth…”
    Oscar Wilde, The Portrait of Dorian Gray

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
      Hi Richard,
      I have several suggestions to make, but they require expanding the scope of the map. However, they are important points. Perhaps it's worth considering integrating them.
      What do you think?

1. City of London Cemetery
      – Mary Ann “Polly” Nichols’ grave
      – Catherine Eddowes’ grave
      – Joseph Merrick’s (Elephant Man) grave

2. Manor Park Cemetery
      – Annie Chapman's grave

Click image for larger version Name:	manor park cemetery + city london cemetery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.9 KB ID:	826281

3. St Patrick’s Catholic Cemetery
      – Mary Jane Kelly's grave
      – The Birbeck public house where Joseph Barnett and those who had attended Mary Jane's funeral went for a drink.

Click image for larger version Name:	st patrick's catholic cemetery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.8 KB ID:	826280

4. East London Cemetery
      – Elizabeth Stride

Click image for larger version Name:	east london cemetery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.5 KB ID:	826279​​

Overview of cemeteries:

Click image for larger version Name:	vue d'ensemble.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.8 KB ID:	826282

5. Shoreditch Mortuary
      behind St Leonard's Church: where Thomas Bond and George Bagster Phillips examined the body of Mary Jane Kelly

Click image for larger version Name:	shoreditch mortuary.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.2 KB ID:	826278

PS: sorry my poor english !!!
      Thanks for those.
      I will have to expand the map and add them at some point.
      JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
      JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
      ---------------------------------------------------
      JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
        Awesome piece of work, totally amazing.

Just one small point from me and I presume I've either missed something or it's irrelevant. The two routes marked as Lechmere's in red and yellow state 'multiple murder sites enroute to work.' However the red one passes two and the yellow only one. Why stated as multiple? Thanks.
        Why are the red and yellow lines marked "Confirmed route to work"? I am unaware of any evidence of Lechmere using Montague Street. I am also unaware of any evidence about what route Lechmere took between the place he parted company with Robert Paul and Broad Street Station.
        "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post
          Why are the red and yellow lines marked "Confirmed route to work"? I am unaware of any evidence of Lechmere using Montague Street. I am also unaware of any evidence about what route Lechmere took between the place he parted company with Robert Paul and Broad Street Station.
          These annotations (the Lechmere routes) were not added by me, Is the information wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post

These annotations (the Lechmere routes) were not added by me, Is the information wrong?
            Yes, the information is wrong.

The red route is confirmed as far as the point that Charles Lechmere and Robert Paul parted company just east of Spitalfield's Maeket. Both men testified to that. Everything west of that point is speculation - it shows one of several possible routes that Lechmere could have used.

The yellow route is complete speculation. Charles Lechmere could have used Montague Street to get to work, but there is no evidence that he ever did.

The 147 Cable Street address for Lechmere's mother is also wrong. Electoral Records show that she and her third husband Joseph Forsdyke lived at 1 Mary Ann Street from 1884 through 1889.
            "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

The red route is confirmed as far as the point that Charles Lechmere and Robert Paul parted company just east of Spitalfield's Maeket. Both men testified to that. Everything west of that point is speculation - it shows one of several possible routes that Lechmere could have used.

The yellow route is complete speculation. Charles Lechmere could have used Montague Street to get to work, but there is no evidence that he ever did.

The 147 Cable Street address for Lechmere's mother is also wrong. Electoral Records show that she and her third husband Joseph Forsdyke lived at 1 Mary Ann Street from 1884 through 1889.
              Fiver, this is a brilliant post and a very important one.

Richard, is there a version of the map that you've created, that can be run through the admin and moderators of this site, so that perhaps ANY data suggested to be included in the map needs to be verified through official data BEFORE being added to the map.
              A non-editable version may be more effective and welcomed by the majority of the members of this site.

If for example, I requested to add an address/event/person of interest etc...that I wanted to add to the map, I personally would prefer that my request went through admin BEFORE it was permitted to be added.
              That would then be of greatest help to the majority because then every single piece of data that is then seen on the map, has been verified and authenticated by the official admin of this site.
              Otherwise, you run the risk of those who are pushing for a particular suspect to request you add data that is either not verifiable or is completely false.

In other words, no data is much better than false data.

Fiver makes an excellent point, and I support his view completely on this.

My concern is that your exceptional work and effort to create something remarkable, will be effectively highjacked by false or uncorroborated data, and then it just plays into the hands of those who are pushing their own agenda in one way of another.

You really have something quite unique here and IMO you deserve better than someone adding incorrect data, because then it misleads those who aren't as knowledgeable in certain aspects of the case.

I would urge you to contact admin and see whether you could create a platform for YOUR map that runs through admin, so that your work is both protected, but also the integrity of this site.

Regards

RD
              "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

You really have something quite unique here and IMO you deserve better than someone adding incorrect data, because then it misleads those who aren't as knowledgeable in certain aspects of the case.

I would urge you to contact admin and see whether you could create a platform for YOUR map that runs through admin, so that your work is both protected, but also the integrity of this site.

Regards

RD

To be clear, the JTR maps is Richard's work and Richard's website. He has the ability on his own site to make the necessary changes to permit or not permit speculative additions and I believe his post indicates he's already done this. He is choosing to share his work here, for which we are grateful. As with all tools, it is up to individual users how to do it, and we do not have a say in how Richard chooses to run or control his own website. We do not wish for it to be confused with "us" as it is HIS work, and his hard efforts involved, and we appreciate him sharing it with us.

And as for making it as accurate as possible, it seems that the current method can work. Inaccurate information was posted, the peer review process caught it, and steps can be taken to correct it. It is a shame that we have to be so vigilant against shady characters acting in bad faith to push their suspect zealotry in direct contradiction of facts, but that's the life. We encourage everyone to continue to participate in the vital function of peer review, on this site, and on all sites that add to the knowledge base.

Thanks for all everyone does.

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post

To be clear, the JTR maps is Richard's work and Richard's website. He has the ability on his own site to make the necessary changes to permit or not permit speculative additions and I believe his post indicates he's already done this. He is choosing to share his work here, for which we are grateful. As with all tools, it is up to individual users how to do it, and we do not have a say in how Richard chooses to run or control his own website. We do not wish for it to be confused with "us" as it is HIS work, and his hard efforts involved, and we appreciate him sharing it with us.

And as for making it as accurate as possible, it seems that the current method can work. Inaccurate information was posted, the peer review process caught it, and steps can be taken to correct it. It is a shame that we have to be so vigilant against shady characters acting in bad faith to push their suspect zealotry in direct contradiction of facts, but that's the life. We encourage everyone to continue to participate in the vital function of peer review, on this site, and on all sites that add to the knowledge base.

Thanks for all everyone does.
                  Thank you kindly for clarifying my query.

I appreciate you taking the time to post and I am grateful for your prompt response.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post and concur with your kind comments regarding Richard.

Regards

RD

Comment

Okay, I've removed the yellow route and cut the red one at the parting point. I have also removed the incorrect address for Lechmere's mother.

Also to reiterate; the map can now only be edited by me from now on. I'll keep it updated using only factual information and details that have been corroborated and confirmed as correct via these forums and the jtrforums.
                    If you see any inaccuracies or speculations please let me know via the form or this thread (the form is a better contact as I never seem to get email notifications for this thread!)
                    I'll add a 'corrections request' to the form.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post

Okay, I've removed the yellow route and cut the red one at the parting point. I have also removed the incorrect address for Lechmere's mother.

Also to reiterate; the map can now only be edited by me from now on. I'll keep it updated using only factual information and details that have been corroborated and confirmed as correct via these forums and the jtrforums.
                      If you see any inaccuracies or speculations please let me know via the form or this thread (the form is a better contact as I never seem to get email notifications for this thread!)
                      I'll add a 'corrections request' to the form.

thanks
                      An absolutely brilliant post.

Your work on this is exceptional and inspiring.

Thank you for sharing it with us

Regards

RD

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

An absolutely brilliant post.

Your work on this is exceptional and inspiring.

Thank you for sharing it with us

Regards

RD
                        It really is quite an exceptional piece of work.

Comment

My apologies for this address error. I just read this post from 2016 that I had missed before: https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...cable%20street
                          “There had been a madness of murder in the air. Some red star had come too close to the earth…”

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post

My apologies for this address error. I just read this post from 2016 that I had missed before: https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...cable%20street
                            No need to apologize. Joseph and Maria Loiusa Forsdyke moved from 1 Mary Ann Street to 139 Cable Street some time between January and December 1889. Fisherman got the address wrong and is assuming the move took place before September. Those are hardly his only assumptions and errors about the case.

Comment

UPDATE
                              Added more annotations and altered the website so it should automatically open the map in full size in the browser.
                              This will make it easier to quickly view and browse the map.
                              Please have a look and tell me how to improve the layout design etc.

It is possible to allow comments to be posted and placed on the map BUT that requires an upgrade to Miro which is an astronomical £56 so... nope
                              Not sure how they justify £56 for the lowest-level upgrade. A tenner, maybe, but not £50+ quid!

I might write my own script that will do the same job as Miro but with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

Thanks for your work, Richard.
                                However, when I display the map, I no longer have access to the + and - keys to zoom in or out. Is this normal?

Comment

Working...
                                X