writing on the wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post

Although it's considered more likely that Eddowes actually gave no response to the question and therefore "nothing" was put down as meaning "she didn't say anything", you are the first time that I've seen anyone make the connection between BOTH Eddowes' response and the graffiti including the same word.

It's probably of absolutely no significance at all, but still is interesting.
    Speculation that the "nothing" of the graffiti was intended to refer to her words on leaving the City jail goes back many years.
    As with the 'Juewes", that some suggested refers to the Old Jewery, the address of City Police headquarters.

In other words, it's the fault of the city police.

Major Smith, we are told, ordered his constables to follow any couples out late at night.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• City-constable Lewis Robinson, 931, deposed: At half-past eight, on the night of Saturday, Sept. 29, while on duty in High-street, Aldgate, I saw a crowd of persons outside No. 29, surrounding a woman whom I have since recognised as the deceased.
      The Coroner: What state was she in? - Drunk. Lying on the footway? - Yes. I asked the crowd if any of them knew her or where she lived, but got no answer. I then picked her up and sat her against the shutters, but she fell down sideways. With the aid of a fellow-constable I took her to Bishopsgate Police-station. There she was asked her name, and she replied "Nothing." She was then put into a cell.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by Filby View Post

How common was graffiti in the East End in 1888? I'm serious about this question. I've studied a lot of photos and not really noticed much which I found quite astonishing. Of course I could be entirely wrong, but to me, this makes somewhat of a difference, at least in my mind, as to whether it was happenstance or if not, very possiby written deliberately by JtR post-murders.
        I always found this article quite interesting:

Spray-paint was not available to the Victorians, so was there graffiti in Victorian London? Having just removed the 'tag' that appeared on m...

it was common enough to be in police manuals and be taken to court over etc.

and also this, even the police were up to it:

Comment

• Interesting articles! Thanks for sharing them. Some insight into who the writers of graffiti were- like today, often juveniles.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
            Interesting articles! Thanks for sharing them. Some insight into who the writers of graffiti were- like today, often juveniles.
            Disagree with juveniles!! Some of the best writers of graffiti are 40 plus!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Speculation that the "nothing" of the graffiti was intended to refer to her words on leaving the City jail goes back many years.
              As with the 'Juewes", that some suggested refers to the Old Jewery, the address of City Police headquarters.

Major Smith, we are told, ordered his constables to follow any couples out late at night.
              just rereading your post.
              city police headquarters.
              they found a torso in .well in the basement of Scotland yards building .
              is this pointing to conspiracies' !
              that i have not yet read about.
              or inside job ! police man maybe ?
              golden state killer was a cop .
              Last edited by milchmanuk; 08-02-2022, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                Interesting articles! Thanks for sharing them. Some insight into who the writers of graffiti were- like today, often juves.
                FIFY

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post

Both sentences make perfect sense to someone from a working-class English background.
                  Is this a game of working class top trumps? What score would I get for growing up on one of the roughest council estates in East London?

It doesn't make any sense in its purest form.
                  Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                  JayHartley.com

Comment

• Originally posted by erobitha View Post

Is this a game of working class top trumps? What score would I get for growing up on one of the roughest council estates in East London?

It doesn't make any sense in its purest form.
                    No, 'not a game, 'simply pointing out that while the sentence is far from being grammatically outstanding, it would be understood where I come from.

As I've said, it is commonplace 'round these parts to hear: "you're not getting wrong for nothing". Meaning, you're being punished because you've done something which deserves that punishment".

It seems that in the roughest council estates in East London, you evolved to a more comprehensive grasp of the English language. 'Up here in the mining villages of County Durham, we remain at a less advanced stage in this organic process that, like democracy, cannot be forced upon us and we simply have to learn the hard way. We will get there, but it won't be any time soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

HI,
                      I mentioned those possibilities some years back, I like to think I was the first but probably wasnt.
                      I have also wondered if "Jewes / Juwes " was a name, as in notorious family or gang possibly spelt incorrectly .
                      Someone posted this s few years back, apparently it was in East Londin somewhere.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ^ Could "JUWES" here be a misspelling of the nickname "Jules" for Julia or Julian? (Depending on the chalker 's preference). Or a surname, a favorite trade product, a football club?
                        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                        ---------------
                        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                        ---------------

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Jujubes-Candy.jpg.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	791938

Comment

• I'm not quite sure how and why he has no problem spelling words of 6 or 7 letters, but has a problem with a word of 4 letters.

And, I'd imagine he could read (given he could write) and may well have seen 'Jews' or 'Jewish' written countless times in newspapers.

Comment

• Originally posted by spyglass View Post

HI,
                              I mentioned those possibilities some years back, I like to think I was the first but probably wasnt.
                              I have also wondered if "Jewes / Juwes " was a name, as in notorious family or gang possibly spelt incorrectly .
                              Someone posted this s few years back, apparently it was in East Londin somewhere.
                              i think this is someones name bein used, as the thread below yours by pcdun:
                              Could "JUWES" here be a misspelling of the nickname "Jules" for Julia or Julian? (Depending on the chalker 's preference). Or a surname, a favorite trade product, a football club?

not football club for sure.but i think a persons street name !
                              they probably know how to spell JEWS but wrote it like this to differentiate as a street name.
                              whoever is "juwes" might of even got for bein a bit ginger ?

writing on the wall does seem to point all the way to freemasonry through that singular word.

" a beginning " ?

masons a ledge founder of secrets. "Hiram Ibiff "

Comment

• Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                                ... Someone posted this s few years back, apparently it was in East Londin somewhere...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IWMES.png
Views:	321
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	792441

Comment

Working...
                                X