writing on the wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sunny Delight View Post

One of the most ridiculous theories I have ever come across to be honest.
    hi
    in a recent post is was said the apron piece was as large as a (bath ) towel ?
    i think ladies' personal hygiene towels would be smaller.
    surely no more than eight inches.

Comment

• Basement
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

But that's not a 'cellar' though Harry, and yes I know in many large victorian houses there was an outside entrance to the rooms below ground, but in that case people were working there.
        A 'cellar' has a function, it's purpose is more along the lines of storage, if people live or work down there it's not a 'cellar'.
        Reckon they were actually basements.

Having difficulty posting an article "Merchant House,39 Gouston Street".
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post

Reckon they were actually basements.

Having difficulty posting an article "Merchant House,39 Gouston Street".
          Well done that man!

As obvious as it sounds, 'basement' is more often associated with American'ism. Yet, it is used in Victorian dictionaries.

Basement.
          A floor or story which is wholly or in part beneath the surface of the ground, but is usually, as distinguished from a cellar, well lighted, and fitted up and used for household or other usual purposes.
          https://archive.org/details/centuryd...ter&q=basement

Darn, that is an American dictionary....

Here we are, an English Dictionary, 1881

Basement
          "The ground floor; the part below the level of the street."
          Last edited by Wickerman; 07-05-2022, 02:35 PM.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctored Whatsit View Post

Is there any evidence that in 1888 impoverished Eastenders would spend their hard earned pennies to buy rags? If they did so, would Eddowes have earned enough money from the sales to buy another apron to replace the one she allegedly used as a sanitary towel instead of one of her rags?
            an old apron would be easily acquired especially if it was only part of an apron

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

But I say again, why wait so long, every minute spent carrying his knife and the apron piece was a potential minute leading to his capture.

But if that had been the case what happened to the organs? Again I am playing devils advocate in an effort to show posters how unlikey some of the explantions are that have been put forward by posters to explain away the negatives surrounding the apron piece and the alleged removal of the organs.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
              You are correct, Trevor but you are also trying to assign rational thought and behavior to someone who just cut a woman's throat and ripped out her internal organs. But if he wanted the apron as a trophy, even though he knew carrying it on his person was risky, we have no way of knowing how that conflict played out in his mind and why he dropped the apron at a particular location.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunny Delight View Post

The killer was obviously focused on putting distance between himself and the crime scene. My hypothesis is that PC Harvey disturbed him when he walked down Church Passage. The Ripper cut the piece of apron away and left via the exit to the south. I imagine he went along Whitechapel Road before discarding the apron in a quiet spot out of sight. First though he wipes his knife and maybe his hands. The main thing for him would be to get as far from the scene as quickly as possible. It would be conceivable he felt capture was closing in as he might have believed PC Harvey was on the verge of finding Eddowes. His discarding of the apron is done in haste as he is just glad to get clear of the murder scene and get cleaned without suspicion. How he managed to escape from Mitre Square will always remain a mystery to me. Not inexplicable but he was very very lucky.
                But if he was disturbed he would not have had the time to cut piece of apron because of how he had arranged her clothes. They were up above her waist making the apron if she had been wearing one the most difficult item of clothing to locate.

Comment

• Originally posted by milchmanuk View Post

hi
                  in a recent post is was said the apron piece was as large as a (bath ) towel ?
                  i think ladies' personal hygiene towels would be smaller.
                  surely no more than eight inches.
                  there is no evidence to show the size of either of the pieces of apron other than to try and calculate the sizes of both pieces by how Dr Brown matched them. The mortuary piece was a corner piece so by that i take it to be a quarter of what a full size apron would measure, Dr Brown then fitted the GS piece to the mortuary piece which fitted by the seams of the borders. So by that we are able to calculate that the two pieces could not have made up a full apron because they were from the same side making up just half of an apron. thats why there is no evidence to show that when the two pieces were matched they made up a full apron

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

an old apron would be easily acquired especially if it was only part of an apron

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                    Possibly so, maybe bought very cheaply, maybe she hoped to get something thrown away, but the question was - is there evidence that in 1888 impoverished Eastenders would spend their hard earned pennies to buy rags?

Comment

• Originally posted by GBinOz View Post
                      Hi Trevor,

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but it seems that in your theory Kathy is wearing an apron when she is incarcerated. Sometime after that she realises that she has commenced her menstrual cycle and cuts up the apron she was wearing to obtain a sanitary napkin. When she is released she heads in the opposite direction to that of her home and of Goulston St, so presumably the start of her cycle was after that departure. She deposits the portion of the apron at Goulston St and then walks to Mitre Square....[End of correctable assumptions]

The sugestion that she was wearing an apron when arrested comes from the officer who arrested her, but his evidence that he gave at the inquest to that effect is questionable as he gave that evidence 7 days later, and as almost every woman at the time wore white aprons there is nothing to show why 7 days later he recalled specifically her wearing an apron. Again playing devils advocate for those who readily accept that police officers testimony. I pointed out that theoretically as she was in possession of a knife she could have cut the apron herself. But I dont believe this to be that case So the evidence of police who were there is questionable after 7 days but the contradictory speculation of an armchair detective after 125 years is unimpeachable?

Collard testified: in my presence Sergeant Jones picked up from the foot way by the left side of the deceased three small black buttons, such as are generally used for boots, a small metal button, a common metal thimble, and a small penny mustard tin containing two pawn-tickets and I produce a portion of the apron which deceased was apparently wearing which had been cut through and was found outside her dress.

You have clearly confused yourself and not read Collards inquest testimony fully or completlely misunderstood the content the way you have written it is misleading to readers. The Buttons and other items were found at the scene. I don't find cut and paste confusing at all. https://www.casebook.org/official_do...t_eddowes.html

His reference to the apron was as a result of what took place later at the mortuary when the body was stripped it was not found beside the body at the crime scene, and the term he uses "apperently wearing" is open to interpretation and discussion. I suspect it is you that is confused on this point.

On the autopsy report, all these items are grouped together under the heading of possessions:
                      • 1 piece of old white apron with repair
                      • Several buttons and a thimble
                      • Mustard tin containing two pawn tickets,
                      Also in the list of possessions is
                      • 12 pieces white rag, some slightly bloodstained
                      So the items found near, but not on, the body are listed together as possessions.

I dont know what report you are referring to but Collards official list of clothing and possessions does not include the items found at the crime scene Again, cut and paste:https://www.casebook.org/victims/eddowes.html

My question to you is...Why would Kathy cut up the apron she was wearing for the purpose of a sanitary napkin when she had 12 pieces of white rag, some slightly bloodstained that she could have used for the purpose?

As per my previous reply on this topic, I dont believe she cut up the apron, the two pieces of apron referred to one being the mortuary piece and the other the GS piece I beleive had been cut previoulsy from an old white apron and she was in poossession of two of the pieces that had come form that old apron.

We know that the two pieces matched up, but there is no evidence to show that when matched they made up a full apron

As to the 12 pieces referred to eddowes was described as being a hawker we do not know the quality of these 12 piece it is quite possible that she had them in her possession to sell in which case if they were of good quality she would not want to use them as sanitary devices
                      I'm sure the bloodstained pieces would have fetched a goodly sum.

It seems obvious to me that the apron was cut by the Ripper early in his attack on Eddowes. He took half with him and dropped the other half next to her body. YMMV.

Well you are obvioulsy wrong on that point It is very difficult to discuss possibilities with someone who is so obdurate.

Cheers, George
                      They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
                      Out of a misty dream
                      Our path emerges for a while, then closes
                      Within a dream.
                      Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post

You are correct, Trevor but you are also trying to assign rational thought and behavior to someone who just cut a woman's throat and ripped out her internal organs. But if he wanted the apron as a trophy, even though he knew carrying it on his person was risky, we have no way of knowing how that conflict played out in his mind and why he dropped the apron at a particular location.

c.d.
                        Ok so if he dropped the apron piece what happened to the organs which he is alleged to have taken away in it ? let me answer my own question the description of the GS apron piece is not consietent with organs being wrapped in it.

Comment

• If he went out that night with the intent to kill and to take his victim's organs, unless he wanted a nasty, funky pocket it is not inconceivable that he took precautions such as a rag or old newspaper in his pocket. So the apron might not have been used for transporting organs.

The organs were obviously important to him. So what happened to them? He could have risked taking them all the way home or possibly hiding them somewhere with the intent of retrieving them the next day. The same with the apron. Discard it and go back for it the next day to keep as a trophy. A reasonable assumption that the apron would still be there.

Just thinking out loud - could the apron have been used to mark where he hid the organs nearby?

c.d.

Comment

• Reply just for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post
                            Originally posted by GBinOz View Post
                            Hi Trevor,

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but it seems that in your theory Kathy is wearing an apron when she is incarcerated. Sometime after that she realises that she has commenced her menstrual cycle and cuts up the apron she was wearing to obtain a sanitary napkin. When she is released she heads in the opposite direction to that of her home and of Goulston St, so presumably the start of her cycle was after that departure. She deposits the portion of the apron at Goulston St and then walks to Mitre Square....[End of correctable assumptions]

No one has suggested anything of the sort stop distorting what i have posted

The sugestion that she was wearing an apron when arrested comes from the officer who arrested her, but his evidence that he gave at the inquest to that effect is questionable as he gave that evidence 7 days later, and as almost every woman at the time wore white aprons there is nothing to show why 7 days later he recalled specifically her wearing an apron. Again playing devils advocate for those who readily accept that police officers testimony. I pointed out that theoretically as she was in possession of a knife she could have cut the apron herself. But I dont believe this to be that case So the evidence of police who were there is questionable after 7 days but the contradictory speculation of an armchair detective after 125 years is unimpeachable?

Yes it is questionable for the reasons stated and I presume you are referring to yourslef as an armchair detective because that how I view you

Collard testified: in my presence Sergeant Jones picked up from the foot way by the left side of the deceased three small black buttons, such as are generally used for boots, a small metal button, a common metal thimble, and a small penny mustard tin containing two pawn-tickets and I produce a portion of the apron which deceased was apparently wearing which had been cut through and was found outside her dress.

You have clearly confused yourself and not read Collards inquest testimony fully or completlely misunderstood the content the way you have written it is misleading to readers. The Buttons and other items were found at the scene. I don't find cut and paste confusing at all. https://www.casebook.org/official_do...t_eddowes.html

You need to read Collards signed inquest testimony there is no mention of the items found at the crime scene being listed among her possessions.

His reference to the apron was as a result of what took place later at the mortuary when the body was stripped it was not found beside the body at the crime scene, and the term he uses "apperently wearing" is open to interpretation and discussion. I suspect it is you that is confused on this point.

No no confusion on my part feel free to post where it says the apron piece was found outside the body at the crime scene

On the autopsy report, all these items are grouped together under the heading of possessions:
                            • 1 piece of old white apron with repair
                            • Several buttons and a thimble
                            • Mustard tin containing two pawn tickets,
                            Also in the list of possessions is
                            • 12 pieces white rag, some slightly bloodstained
                            So the items found near, but not on, the body are listed together as possessions.

I dont know what report you are referring to but Collards official list of clothing and possessions does not include the items found at the crime scene Again, cut and paste:https://www.casebook.org/victims/eddowes.html

My question to you is...Why would Kathy cut up the apron she was wearing for the purpose of a sanitary napkin when she had 12 pieces of white rag, some slightly bloodstained that she could have used for the purpose?

As per my previous reply on this topic, I dont believe she cut up the apron, the two pieces of apron referred to one being the mortuary piece and the other the GS piece I beleive had been cut previoulsy from an old white apron and she was in poossession of two of the pieces that had come form that old apron.

We know that the two pieces matched up, but there is no evidence to show that when matched they made up a full apron

As to the 12 pieces referred to eddowes was described as being a hawker we do not know the quality of these 12 piece it is quite possible that she had them in her possession to sell in which case if they were of good quality she would not want to use them as sanitary devices
                            I'm sure the bloodstained pieces would have fetched a goodly sum.

You have completly lost me on this issue

It seems obvious to me that the apron was cut by the Ripper early in his attack on Eddowes. He took half with him and dropped the other half next to her body. YMMV.

Well you are obvioulsy wrong on that point It is very difficult to discuss possibilities with someone who is so obdurate.

I find it difficult to discuss options with an armchair detective who has no knowledge of how to assess and evlauate evidence and time and time again misrepresents what has been posted.

Cheers, George

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                              If he went out that night with the intent to kill and to take his victim's organs, unless he wanted a nasty, funky pocket it is not inconceivable that he took precautions such as a rag or old newspaper in his pocket. So the apron might not have been used for transporting organs.

The organs were obviously important to him. So what happened to them? He could have risked taking them all the way home or possibly hiding them somewhere with the intent of retrieving them the next day. The same with the apron. Discard it and go back for it the next day to keep as a trophy. A reasonable assumption that the apron would still be there.

Just thinking out loud - could the apron have been used to mark where he hid the organs nearby?

c.d.
                              Oh come on these explantions are becoming farcical now, talk about desperation

Comment

• Well I did say I was simply thinking out loud. I did not claim it to be an ascertained fact. And I don't see any desperation in it. To my mind, it follows a chain of reasoning. He wants the organs but does not want to be stopped with them. So he hides them with the intent of retrieving them later. It's dark, it might have been in a neighborhood he was not familiar with and where all the dwellings look the same. So he needs a marker to remember the location. Not the greatest of theories I admit but not so "desperate" as some I have read. Cough...Cough....menstruation.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                                X