The apron was dropped...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

so dr t gets someone to harvest his organs for him? why the extraneous mutilations then?
    So that the police don't think he is just harvesting organs for someone.

Cute huh?

In the Echo, Oct 1, there is a long section starting with the sub-heading 'AT THE LODGING-HOUSES.'

From that section...

THE MYSTERIOUS AMERICAN.

A diminutive individual appeared upon the scene, and explained that the deputy was "not up yet." He, however, offered any information I might require. After repeated questioning he stated that yesterday a tall dark man, wearing an American hat, took a bed in the house. He was in the house all day, associated with the other lodgers, entered into their various amusements, but somehow seemed to be rather reserved, and, at times, absent-minded. Towards evening he commenced conversing about the latest horrors in the East-end. He entered very vigorously into the details as supplied by the Sunday papers, and expressed an opinion that the police would never capture the murderer, who would remain at large until he gave himself up.

"Oh," said he, "he's a lot too 'cute for these London detectives."

The "deputy's" attention was attracted to this mysterious individual by the singular amount of excitement he displayed while discoursing upon the subject. There were about twelve men in the room- a long, scrupulously clean, though somewhat scantily furnished, apartment. Each one seemed afraid of the individual, and ultimately the police were summoned, and the luckless American was marched off in custody as a "suspect."
    Who do you suppose this tall dark American man might be?
    Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

• Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

So that the police don't think he is just harvesting organs for someone.

Cute huh?

In the Echo, Oct 1, there is a long section starting with the sub-heading 'AT THE LODGING-HOUSES.'

From that section...

Who do you suppose this tall dark American man might be?
      Abraham Lincoln?

Comment

Abraham Lincoln?
        Don't be ridiculous Abby. It's clearly Paul Bunyan.
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post

Seeing as you believe that Nichols, and Chapman were murdered by Isenshmid, it follows that as far as you are concerned Eddowes was attempting to blackmail an innocent party. Why then would that individual want to make Eddowes "disappear"?
          I didnt suggest that the party was innocent Observer, just not sure what kinds of crimes they may have been involved in at that time. I do think Mr I is a great candidate for murders 1 and 2, which must then translate into other killer or killers for the other Unsolved murders of that period. Since we know that the Irish self rule factions were plotting an assassination at that time, and they had been stopped from blowing up HRH the year before, and since we know Kate likely had knowledege of locals who were Irish through Conway, some of which might be notorious, and since we know that within a stones throw The Post Office was being robbed that very weekend, there are several avenues to look down for evidence she knew someone she believed was a killer.

She may have been trying to blackmail someone for crimes they didnt actually commit...and was just shut up to protect other activities ongoing.
          Michael Richards

Comment

re the gsg. its not rocket science Not. the ripper was interupted and seen by a bunch of jewish men that night and was pissed off about it and decided to throw some shade there way. i think you may be way over thinking it.
            I love overthinking things, Abby!
            Recently I've been overthinking the misspelling of 'Jews'.
            It occurred to me that the misspelling may have been due to a lack of mastery of English, so that the not fully inhibited first language of the writer is hinted at.
            More specifically - the misspelling is due to a sort of 'neural interference' effect - the writer is not yet fluent in English, and ends up writing words that blend their English with their first language.

graffito: Juwes (DC Halse)
            Polish: Żydzi
            German: Juden (masculine)
            Hungarian: Zsidók
            Russian: Евреи
            Russian: Yevrei (anglicised)

The German 'Juden' seems a good candidate for the hypothesis, especially given that this is the masculine version of 'Jews' in that language, because it would seem to fit nicely with the men of the graffito...

The Juwes are not the men that will be blamed for nothing
            The Juden are not the men that will be blamed for nothing

The anglicised Russian version works fairly well against the Home Office spelling...

The Jewes are the men that will not be blamed for nothing
            The Yevrei are the men that will not be blamed for nothing

An extra letter, but one can imagine the 'vr' being mistaken for a 'w' ... Jevres
            No wonder the spelling couldn't be agreed on.

Note that the pronunciation of 'Jews' in each of these languages is with two syllables - as one might pronounce 'Juwes'.
            Last edited by NotBlamedForNothing; 10-01-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Abraham Lincoln?
              The author of '14 October, 1896' seems to agree with the tall dark American...

"Oh," said he, "he's a lot too 'cute for these London detectives."

you never caught me
              and you never will. Ha Ha
              You police are a smart lot, the lot
              of you could nt catch one man

Presuming that is, the author and the tall dark American are not one and the same person.

Comment

The German 'Juden' seems a good candidate for the hypothesis, especially given that this is the masculine version of 'Jews' in that language, because it would seem to fit nicely with the men of the graffito...

The Juwes are not the men that will be blamed for nothing
                The Juden are not the men that will be blamed for nothing
                What nationality was the Batty Street Lodger?

Is there an Echo around here? An Addendum to 'Mrs Kuer’s Lodger'

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post

No offence but it's all a bit silly, isn't it?

So, the murderer wasn't harvesting organs for his own sick fetish, he was doing it for a client?

And he left a small, ambiguously-written message scrawled in chalk to explain his rushjob?
                  He couldn't have waited until the next day? Or perhaps written something a little less cryptic?
                  You're only supposing the client would correctly interpret the graffito because it suits your theory.

How exactly were Lawende & co. responsible for the time-pressure in Mitre Square? It's not like there was anything out of the ordinary going on or they had interrupted the killer or arrived on the scene after the murder.
                  I have another hypothesis

The organs were still dropped-off at the stairwell on Goulston street, but rather than the writing on the wall being written by the deliverer for the recipient, it was the recipient that chalked the message - to implicate Jewish men in the crimes.
                  Which Jewish men? - (some of) the Jews from the Berner street club.
                  Who was the recipient? - a German man who was lodging at Mrs. Kuer's house on Batty street.

This German man is closely involved with the murders, so the message is designed to hint at the culprits, so as to take the focus off himself.
                  He was most likely involved in the swapping of the murderer's shirts - from blood-stained to clean.
                  Mrs. Kuer does not believe the man is guilty of the crime...

THE BLOOD-STAINED SHIRT

The laundress at 22, Batty-street, where a German left a blood-stained shirt, is Mrs. Kuer, also a German. The man, who was arrested, as already stated, and liberated, explained the blood-stains by the fact that he was with a friend who was cutting corn, when the knife slipped and inflicted a wound, when the injured man stanched the cut by using the sleeves of his companion's shirt. There were, however, extensive stains upon the front of it as well, and this the man asserts was done by the blood spurting on to it. Mrs. Kuer denies that she gave information to the police, who were told of the circumstances by a neighbour. Mrs. Kuer says the man had occasionally called with a shirt to be washed. She feels certain she says that the man is entirely innocent of any such offence as was at first suggested by the police. Inspector Reid, Inspector Helson, and other detective officers are pursuing their investigation.

She's right, but neither is he completely innocent.
                  However, the Batty street situation seems to me a clue that the murderer actually lives quite close-by...

THE SUPPOSED CLUE

The supposed clue on which the police are now working is said to relate to a man living in the locality, but not to the visitor to Batty-street. The inquiries are not sufficiently advanced to enable them to make an arrest, even should their suspicions ultimately prove to be well-founded.

PACKER RECOGNISES THE MAN

An Echo reporter called yesterday afternoon upon Mr. Packer, the Berner-street fruiterer, where the murderer bought the grapes for Elizabeth Stride. It now appears that the man was known by Mr. Packer, who positively asserted, "I had seen him in this district several times before, and if you ask me where he lives I can tell you within a little. He lodges not a great way from the house where Lipski, who was hanged for poisoning a woman, lived." "How many times have you seen him?" was asked Mr. Packer. "About twenty; and I have not seen him since the murder."

Quote source

Could the German man be responsible for the sequence?...

Dear Boss > postcard > 6 Oct 1888 > 14 Oct 1896

'14 Oct 1896' (Winters coming) ends with...

“The Jewes are people that are
                  blamed for nothing” Ha Ha
                  have you heard this before

How did he know about this?

Comment

• Really, throwing around the word "Juden" in German is rather unpleasant.
                    On the other side, Antisemitism was a key theme in this case as well as the era.
                    And I am happy to see more people recognize a blackmail scheme as an underlying theme of this case.
                    Also, glad to be back after a year.

Comment

[I]THE SUPPOSED CLUE

The supposed clue on which the police are now working is said to relate to a man living in the locality, but not to the visitor to Batty-street. The inquiries are not sufficiently advanced to enable them to make an arrest, even should their suspicions ultimately prove to be well-founded.
                      Very possibly David Cohen.

Comment

• I really do not understand the whole Batty Street Lodger thing. If legitimate, why didn't the police ask the landlady to look at suspects?

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lipsky View Post
                          Really, throwing around the word "Juden" in German is rather unpleasant.
                          On the other side, Antisemitism was a key theme in this case as well as the era.
                          And I am happy to see more people recognize a blackmail scheme as an underlying theme of this case.
                          Also, glad to be back after a year.
                          Just to be clear, I'm not saying the word on the wall was actually 'Juden', rather than 'Jews' - I'm saying it was a 'mental-cross' of the two.
                          Sort of how people are more like to use racial slurs in stressful situations than not - the stress undermines their inhibitions.
                          Similarly, the writing on the wall is done at a time of stress, and the writers first language 'leaks through'.

1st lang. 2nd lang.
                          German English
                          Juden > Juwes < Jews

The spelling 'Juwes', is closer to the English 'Jews', but its from the German 'Juden' that he gets the 5 letters and possibly 2 syllables.

Comment

• DC Halse said of the writing on the wall:

There were three lines of writing in a good schoolboy's round hand.

Would it reasonable to suggest that Dear Boss is written in the same style?
                            Writing styles is something I don't know much about, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the writing at the Wentworth Dwellings would have looked quite similar to the slightly less formal style of the Dear Boss postscript (compared to the body).

The writing on the wall also has a similarity with the 'Winters coming' letter - very short lines.

If the chalked message was Ripper related, my best guess is that it was either JtR referring to a nuisance on the night, or it was someone else - someone who knows what's going on and wants to leave, for whatever reason, a subtle hint for the police.
                            In the later scenario, Jack might not have entered the building on his way home at all - the apron was planted a little later on by the message writer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post

Very possibly David Cohen.
                              Edward Spooner lived at 26 Fairclough street

Comment

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the word on the wall was actually 'Juden', rather than 'Jews' - I'm saying it was a 'mental-cross' of the two.
                                Sort of how people are more like to use racial slurs in stressful situations than not - the stress undermines their inhibitions.
                                Similarly, the writing on the wall is done at a time of stress, and the writers first language 'leaks through'.

The spelling 'Juwes', is closer to the English 'Jews', but its from the German 'Juden' that he gets the 5 letters and possibly 2 syllables.
                                The GSG as well as the Lusk letter, in my opinion, are the two sole communiques from our man.
                                Their linguistics have to be considered from the POV of the "character" adopted by the perpetrator.
                                Semantics is one thing; psychology is another; the desired effect is the most crucial.

Comment

Working...
                                X