No announcement yet.

Help populate this JtR map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't Lipski and Angel's house on the opposite side of the road?
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
      Reminds me of that joke:

Drunk: Excuse me sir, could you direct me to the other side of the road?
      Pedestrian: Yes [pointing to the other pavement], it's over there.
      Drunk: Thanks. The last bastard I asked told me it was over here.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
        I don't know where No 16 was in Batty Street. I just marked a random location on the map.
        If anyone knows the exact location, please login to the image and update it:
        Free web and desktop application that enables quick screen grabs, easy URL-based sharing, and live, multi-person drawing and sketching.

use password: jacktheripper1888

thanks
        JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
        JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
        ---------------------------------------------------
        JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post

I don't know where No 16 was in Batty Street. I just marked a random location on the map.
          If anyone knows the exact location, please login to the image and update it:
          Yes, no.16 is on the west side of Batty Street. I believe it's the house below the large building opposite the current location marker.
          I'd update it if I could.

And at the top of Batty St, on the right hand corner, is no.100 Commercial Road, Dr Blackwell's surgery.
          Last edited by Joshua Rogan; 11-30-2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Yes, no.16 is on the west side of Batty Street. I believe it's the house below the large building opposite the current location marker.
            I'd update it if I could.

And at the top of Batty St, on the right hand corner, is no.100 Commercial Road, Dr Blackwell's surgery.
            Great, thanks. I've altered the map and added Blackwell's surgery.
            Maybe, if you can't edit the map, you could list some locations and points-of-interest here in this thread and I can add them?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post

Great, thanks. I've altered the map and added Blackwell's surgery.
              Maybe, if you can't edit the map, you could list some locations and points-of-interest here in this thread and I can add them?
              I'm game if you are!

Ok, let's do some more doctors then;

Dr Llewellyn - 152 Whitechapel Road. North side. Third building (including corner one) west from Brady Street

Dr Sequeira - 34 Jewry Street. Right hand side, fifth building down

Dr Phillips - 2 Spital Square. North side. Third building in from Norton Folgate end.

Also...It's probably a bit late, but would it be a good idea to have a basic colour code? Eg red for murder sites, blue for police, other appropriate colours for suspects, pubs, etc.

Comment

Okay, I've added those now.
                Thanks

Comment

I'm game if you are!

Ok, let's do some more doctors then;

Dr Llewellyn - 152 Whitechapel Road. North side. Third building (including corner one) west from Brady Street

Dr Sequeira - 34 Jewry Street. Right hand side, fifth building down

Dr Phillips - 2 Spital Square. North side. Third building in from Norton Folgate end.

Also...It's probably a bit late, but would it be a good idea to have a basic colour code? Eg red for murder sites, blue for police, other appropriate colours for suspects, pubs, etc.
                  Well this has caused me to raise my eyebrow, with the odd goose bump in tow.

Back in May I went to Mitre Square/Mitre Street for the first time. I'd been prompted to have a proper walk around the area after reading the thread on here on the killer's possible escape route after Catherine Eddowes murder. Here's one of my posts about it...

Originally posted by Curious Cat View Post

That assumes she walked the full distance. She may have been strangled and carried to the spot from within the passage. And that's if the couple Lawende saw was Catherine with her eventual killer.

My main draw to Mitre Square on Tuesday afternoon was to walk the route I thought the killer was most likely to have taken. Having checked it out physically I'm happy to stick with it as my No.1 choice of escape route. Where the killer goes between a few feet along Aldgate High Street east of Mitre Street and Goulston Street is still the missing piece. Although, it did seem strange to me that as I walked along Aldgate High Street I suddenly felt compelled to cross over and go down Jewry Street. I got as far as The Ten Tuns pub before turning back to continue on to Goulston Street. The Ten Tens would've been there at the time, but whether it was open and the killer took to hiding there is obviously speculative.

Although I walked up Goulston Street I wasn't actually sure at which point the piece of apron and graffiti was found by PC Long. Would someone be able put a dot on a modern map of the location?

I was completely unaware that the doctor who had been called to look at Catherine's body in situ not only came from Jewry Street but actually lived in the building I felt compelled to walk towards when I made my trip to Mitre Square. While I was drawn down Jewry Street and stopped by The Ten Tuns, it was actually the building next to it that drew my extra interest as it had a plaque on the wall (an old fire insurance sign). Now I see that it was once Dr Sequeira's residence it's so weird that I was so particularly drawn there having never specifically been around that area before and without any knowledge of its connection to this particular murder.

I wouldn't claim to be psychic but have had the odd moment in the past that may tap into that area. Can't explain it but this is now one of the moments for me.

Comment

Well this has caused me to raise my eyebrow, with the odd goose bump in tow.

Back in May I went to Mitre Square/Mitre Street for the first time. I'd been prompted to have a proper walk around the area after reading the thread on here on the killer's possible escape route after Catherine Eddowes murder. Here's one of my posts about it...

I was completely unaware that the doctor who had been called to look at Catherine's body in situ not only came from Jewry Street but actually lived in the building I felt compelled to walk towards when I made my trip to Mitre Square. While I was drawn down Jewry Street and stopped by The Ten Tuns, it was actually the building next to it that drew my extra interest as it had a plaque on the wall (an old fire insurance sign). Now I see that it was once Dr Sequeira's residence it's so weird that I was so particularly drawn there having never specifically been around that area before and without any knowledge of its connection to this particular murder.

I wouldn't claim to be psychic but have had the odd moment in the past that may tap into that area. Can't explain it but this is now one of the moments for me.
                    Don't panic!
                    It turns out that Richard's map shows one more house than the one which has the street numbers on, so Sequeira's house is actually the one below where it is marked. Sorry, I should have checked first. The other Doctors are correct though.
                    Anyway, it turns out you're not quite pschic after all. Or perhaps it was the spirits in the pub that were calling you?
                    ​​​​​

Comment

While I was drawn down Jewry Street and stopped by The Ten Tuns, it was actually the building next to it that drew my extra interest as it had a plaque on the wall (an old fire insurance sign). Now I see that it was once Dr Sequeira's residence it's so weird that I was so particularly drawn there having never specifically been around that area before and without any knowledge of its connection to this particular murder.

The fact that you were drawn to Jewry Street in the first place might have been in response to some unconscious trigger, given that Jewry figured prominently in the context of the Double Event?
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Don't panic!
                        It turns out that Richard's map shows one more house than the one which has the street numbers on, so Sequeira's house is actually the one below where it is marked. Sorry, I should have checked first. The other Doctors are correct though.
                        Anyway, it turns out you're not quite pschic after all. Or perhaps it was the spirits in the pub that were calling you?
                        ​​​​​
                        Like I say I wouldn't claim to be psychic but where I stopped was practically on Dr Sequeira's doorstep...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.51...4!8i8192?hl=en

I stood to the right of the three plaques on the pub side. As the pub is the one fixed feature that remains it suggests that if I stood on the same spot in 1888 I would've been able to knock on his door give a step or two.

It just felt strange that I was so drawn to that specific area for no apparent reason on the day.
                        Last edited by Curious Cat; 12-05-2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          The fact that you were drawn to Jewry Street in the first place might have been in response to some unconscious trigger, given that Jewry figured prominently in the context of the Double Event?
                          While I was of course aware of the double event, I wasn't - and in truth still am not - quite au fait with all the finer details. I already knew various bits and bobs for years but never looked too deeply into the cases until relatively recently. Until I walked around the area I could not have told what or where any of the streets were in relation to each other. For incidence, I knew of the Aldgate Pump and the story of its funny tasting water but had no idea of its close proximity to Mitre Square. Having looked at maps, had more than one walk around the surrounding area and read a little bit more since I have become more familiar with it.

But on that day, I really knew nothing beyond the immediate area around the square itself in relation to this particular murder. Again, that's what being drawn to that spot down Jewry Street makes it all the more peculiar to me.

Comment

Don't panic!
                            ​​​​​
                            Updated the map now. Thanks.

Comment

I have removed the old annotations map because it was really bad to use and no-one was using it anyway (probably because it was impossible to navigate and annotate!).

I have found a new place for the JtR community annotations map which is much better to navigate and use.

The map is viewable to all but if you would like to be a contributor then either go through the process via the website (link below) or contact me and I can add you as a new team member.

Either way, the map can be seen by all and if you can't be bothered to faff with registering/requesting edit privileges, but you want to have a location, point of interest, etc added to the map, you can post it/them here and I will add them.

Let's see how this map fairs!

Oh. It's a huge map so it might take a time to load on the first visit. If it stalls just refresh the page.

https://miro.com/app/board/uXjVPOiY0...d=956859147124

This map is searchable too which I have found is brilliant for finding locations fast (providing they have been added to the map).

The simplest method to add something.
                              a) first, be logged in and an editor (ask for share privileges)
                              1) find the location on the map
                              2) click the T (text) icon and then click the map location to write the text.
                              3) lock the text so it stays in place.
                              Last edited by richardh; 10-10-2022, 10:18 PM.

Comment

You are already off to a flying start.

Click image for larger version  Name:	City Mission 6 Thrawl Street.png Views:	0 Size:	26.9 KB ID:	797078
                                Eliza Gold at 6 Thrawl Street.

18 Thrawl Street,Willmott's.

16 and 17 Thrawl Street "Cooley's Lodging House"

The Frying Pan,cnr Thrawl and Brick Lane.

Stride and Eddowes in Flower and Dean.
                                Last edited by DJA; 10-11-2022, 02:58 AM.
                                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Working...
                                X