Mr. Rippers Neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and Hood proper

Hood proper being throat cut hood with a temporal consideration. The timeline lines in red are the M5. Dave
    Attached Files
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

• 1 big question

Why were the dismembered vics remitted? The Whitehall mystery fits the time line and yet is remitted. I suspect in the case of Whitehall it was to minimize the area of scrutiny. Dave

Comment

• WMF + Jackson land find

I wonder why Elizabeth was denied? Could it be that it puts Buckingham palace and Westminster in the line of fire? It is also good to note the salamanca find to the south. Dave
        Attached Files
        Last edited by protohistorian; 11-12-2010, 11:58 AM. Reason: xpelink

Comment

• a whitechapel hood

just whitechapel vics from the wmf. Dave
          Attached Files

Comment

• grouping thoughts

There are some profound considerations tied to defining Mr. Ripper's Hood. The single most severe of these is that what we feel free to infer about 'Jack' is based on which crimes we choose to select as defining. It is rather clear that the Macnaghten grouping represents (much more so than any killer trait) a political expediency in which the crimes were grouped to enclose the greatest number of cases in the smallest geographic area and temporal spacing.The mechanism of action in this process is a very basic assertion of crime characteristics, specifically throat cut and dead. If we are to believe the Macnaghten grouping we are then believing that stochastic processes lead to both the smallest geographic and temporal distribution while representing the crimes of an unbalanced mind. This is not mathematically impossible, but neither is Rosie O'Donnel getting a Nobel prize for physics. I put my money on Rosie! Dave
            Last edited by protohistorian; 11-12-2010, 01:47 PM. Reason: xpelinks

Comment

• this is great and I love your work on this.
              While I agree that temporal association and geographical location are unlikely to be stochastic processes, this still doesn't mean that we need to blindly accept all murders that occured in whatever concentrated time window and geographical area that we choose. While I think it raises the chances that such a crime is a ripper crime, it doesn't ipso facto make it so. Having said that - where do you suggest based on your maps and timelines we draw the line? Can I see your timeline again - I can;t quite make out the names (maybe it's me not knowing how to get it bigger).

keep up the great work

Raoul

Comment

• Thanks R.O.! No, we should not react rashly in re calibrating our thought process. I point it out so that anyone asserting 'ripper like' based on M5 crime criteria can realize they are playing a losing game with accuracy. On the timeline. there are no names, you could work from the first or last red lines and move through the victims on the vics page, sans Brown. Dave
                Last edited by protohistorian; 11-12-2010, 05:42 PM. Reason: !,:"?

Comment

• Thank God I've got an online dictionary to hand. You need it on this thread.

Seriiously, keep up the good work. It's all useful stuff!

Hugs

Janie

xxxxx
                  I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

• timeline

Here is one in Excel. I do not know this program very well. Dave
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by protohistorian; 11-13-2010, 07:21 AM. Reason: wrong pic

Comment

• Where would I start? With deaths from Nichols to 1 month earlier. Particularly, with deaths that left residences in an estate, with that residence being in the area of the Northeast corner of the hood proper. Dave
                      Last edited by protohistorian; 11-13-2010, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• timeline

It is in two pieces. I tried to get it in 1 and it made the text unreadable. Dave
                        Attached Files

Comment

• the wheels on the bus

I could not find a way to express this in an image so I am forced to revert to words.
                          What follows is the approximate distance between victim and omnibus routes (shortest distance).

Ada Wilson 143 ft from the bow route (south of)
                          Mary Ann Nichols 330 feet from Bow route (north of)
                          Elizabeth Stride 400 ft from Blackwall route (south of)
                          Annie Chapman 1650 ft from Bow and Blackwall routes (north of) and
                          1417 ft from chelsea route (east of)
                          Catherine Eddowes 190 ft from multiple routes (north of)
                          Mary Kelly 970 feet from chelsea route(east of)
                          Tabram 480 ft from Bow route ( north of)
                          Whitehall 2100 ft from multiple lines (south of)
                          Others available on request. Elizabeth Jackson was last seen on a road off Sloane Rd, which is terminus of multiple lines.
                          Dave

Comment

• lodging houses

Just the ones collected so far. I need my peers to point out errors or additions. I am hoping to assemble as complete a listing as possible, I am sure we have all the data, it is only a matter of central location. Dave
                            Attached Files

Comment

• correction

I have been informed that an arm belonging to the Whitehall Torso was found on Sept 16, 1888 and was determined to have been in the water at least 2 weeks. This places the window for the death of the Whitehall victim between the middle of August ( Dr. Hebbert) and early September. If you are re creating these spreadsheets, please make the alterations as the ones on this thread will be considered updated by this announcement. A very special thank you to DebraA for sharing this info. Dave

Comment

• fixed points macro setting

Here are the fixed points for Police divisions A-H. Dave
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X