No announcement yet.

Mr. Rippers Neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not really a business that is geared to the public, they would have little need for a listing. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

• Hi Dave -the thread page turned before I had a chance to post but I wanted to say the pub map is a beauty---but clearly the pub then was far more than just a drinking place---often it was a like a tiny music hall equipped with piano+piano tuner and with more instruments brought in if need be!

Comment

• Thanks Nats! That is one handy piece of info for interpreting correctly. The profusion of pubs need not be seen in the light of alcohol pumping stations, it can be seen as local entertainment venues. There does not have to be, nor is it accurate to assign a relationship with alcoholism when one can assign a value of local entertainment. If anyone needed some entertainment, I would guess it was these poor folks. Dave

Comment

• changes

The earlier maps of district crime cab be disregarded. Can someone explain to me why a search of every street name at Old Bailey Online yields one set of results, and a search for Whitechapel yields another where there are crimes feet away from mapped crimes? I have now done both and will begin the correlation and post new maps and statistics. I apologize, I am unhappy as well, I am sorry for the presenting an incorrect picture, I will correct it and repost. For what it is worth, it still is not Thunderdome, but not so sparse as before. I chalk this up to the value of re checking data. I also have the whole whitechapel "old bailey" picture, though that is suddenly of less value. Dave

Comment

• Thanks Dave.Yes I know.Sometimes it gets too much digesting the hopelessness that that the poor buggers endured.
            Must get some sleep---night!

Comment

• for my Jtr Peeps not in England

If you've read an account and thought "great another damn place I cannot place!" Take heart, the Old Bailey records are full of people saying event x happened in whitechapel......I was on some damn street next to y when..... If you plot these places, which i do because I have no life to speak of, you find roughly half of them are not in Whitechapel. My point is, these people, who walked these streets day in and day out, could not correctly fix the place either. Dave

Comment

• the old bailey helped to define my life

Now that I am 40 I decided to set a career path for myself. I want to grow up and manage an indexing site where keyword searches vary in result while being based in the same data! Thank You Old Bailey! Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                  Now that I am 40 I decided to set a career path for myself. I want to grow up and manage an indexing site where keyword searches vary in result while being based in the same data! Thank You Old Bailey! Dave
                  Well only the other day you were praising it to the nines Dave!

Comment

• Hello Nats! Praise because it allows my kansas butt to do research, but I would be remis to my fellow students outside London who rely on this resource if I did not mention that they need to double check results by searching multiple keywords. It is still a good thing, it has some issues (don't we all) is all. Dave
                    Last edited by protohistorian; 10-23-2010, 01:07 AM. Reason: xpeelinks

Comment

• Hi Dave,
                      I am ashamed to say I haven"t used it yet but I have heard it said before that you need to double check results.

Comment

• Hi Nats. Yes. It is to be expected, they would have to have a supercomputer to index all the keywords. It is a great resource, it requires discipline. I have found a goody on it already. Dave

Comment

• Will look forward to reading about it! Have a good weekend Dave,
                          Norma

Comment

• A Booth Whitechapel

sounds like an alblum sold on T.V. Dave
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Spring 1886

The sights and sounds of the Sclater Street ,Club Row and Brick Lane ,thrilled Charles Booth when he visited them as part of his field work for his first volume ,East london.Of Sclater Street on a Sunday morning he reported;"The streets are blocked with those coming to buy or sell,pigeons,canaries,rabbits,fowls,parrots or guinea pigs.....Through this crowd the seller of shellfish pushes his barrow;on the outskirts of it are moveable shooting galleries,amd patent aunt Sallies,while some man standing up in a dog cart will dispose of racing tips in sealed envelopes".Around the corner Brick Lane itself should be seen on Saturday night.though it is in almost all its length a gay and crowded scene every evening of the week unless persistent rain drives both buyers and sellers to seek shelter....[with] the flaring lights,the piles of cheap comestibles,and the urgent cries of the sellers."
                              extract from,"The Blackest Streets" by Sarah Wise. Ms Wise researches the Old Nichol,a notorious slum on the boundary of Bethnal Green parish,where almost 6,000 inhabitants were crammed into thirty or so streets of rotting dwellings and where the mortality rate ran at nearly twice that of the rest of Bethnal Green.Among much else she discovered that the decaying 100 year old houses were some of the most lucrative properties in the capital for their absent slumlords , who included peers of the realm,local politicians and churchmen. Its an amazing read.
                              Last edited by Natalie Severn; 10-24-2010, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• and for my next alblum

...a very Booth Nicholl. With the pin at top being Nicholl street. Dave
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X