X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JTR died 1891,not in picture.

Comment

Mr. Hyde,
      prove it. As we dont have a postive identification of JTR,at least not at this point in time, there is no published evidence of his death in 1891. I know you have an as of yet unnamed suspect in mind and i look forward to hearing all about it.
      'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Gotta wait for the movie.
        Re photography-four days after Mary Ann Nichols was murdered,George Eastman patented the Kodak camera that popularised the art.

Comment

Bye then, Harry. You'll be really, really missed.

I'm gutted to learn from you that I'm insignificant. Really gutted. Your opinion is so important.

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

I dont know who is right or wrong here but i do have sympathy with Harry on one point. That many myths do grow, resulting in popular "fact".

Two examples are.

1. Victorians covering legs of furniture to hide any sexual thoughts

2. No Irish need apply signs in the USA. The last i read on the matter little or no documentary proof of these have ever turned up.

Comment

I think the reality of the 'sleeping rope' is well documented from a variety of sources and I have a feeling that even if Harry was presented with photographic proof he would claim that the photograph could have been faked.

To return to the original topic of the thread, Jack London's book is shocking in its portrayal of the life of the poor. They seem to have been punished every which way. The most wicked thing I think was the separation of husbands, wives and children - a practice that continued well into the second half of the 20th century. Anyone who has seen Cathy Come Home will remember the children being wrenched from their parents.

Comment

If anyone has come in late and doesn’t realize what this thread is all about, it was started to let people know that The People of the Abyss, Jack London’s disturbing account of the lives of the East London poor, can now be read on-line. Each chapter includes photos from the original edition. If you haven’t read it yet, you should. It’s compelling reading.

The URL was noted back in Post #1.

Bulldog

Comment

Why all this fuss about going to sleep on ropes? British boxers have been doing it for years.

Comment

Peter Hinchcliffe - smelly old Exeter

OK... Just for a lark, I thought I'd try to search the internet for photos. For the record, I have no trouble believing that people slept (or at least deeply catnapped) over ropes, I love old photos, and I dislike Jack London only a little less than Hemingway (who I can't stand). That said, People of the Abyss is a must-read.

So, anyway... Within minutes, I found this page, written by a retired police officer, mentioning the ropes and doss houses.

"At the top of the building, in the attic, was the “rope”, allegedly this is where those men without the few pence fee to sleep on a bed could drape themselves over the rope for a nights rest. Some would argue that the expression “on the ropes” originated from this source, i.e. they had so little money that they could not afford the cheapest bed, they were obliged to sleep on the rope."

Granted that the word "allegedly" is used, but, still...

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/EM/story_44.html
                    ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Quite possibly where the term "hangover" came from.
                      Salvos main market segment was-drunks,drug takers and prostitutes.
                      A "tuppeny hangover"-I wish!

Comment

Jason,
                        Thank you but have no sympathy,and yes,this is another myth.
                        Phillip,
                        I'm not gone yet.I'm awaiting your proof.You were proven a liar though.You used the word idiot.
                        Smesenem,
                        Thanks for your sources,I'll certainly look them up,but doubt they will cover the period under discussion.

Thanks to the other contributers,but again it is claims on what other people have said or written,it does not prove the claims.I have no problem with posters who say persons can bend over and support themselves on ropes,I believe that,I have done it myself.Not for long though,it is too uncomfortable and painful after a while,and can even,if carried out too long,cause damage to internal organs(medical opinion).What I object to,is that old,frail,and sometimes ill persons,men and women,did,night after night,for hours at a time,sleep in that position.That is what has been claimed.
                        A little about proof."I walked along the beach this morning".That is a claim,it lacks proof.How does one prove it.How do I myself prove it.How would one start to prove it?Anyone care to try?It is pertinent to what I have claimed in posts.

Comment

Harry,
                          The sources I gave cover at least 100 years from 1831 to 1933. The picture of the Twopenny sit downs was taken in 1900 so I think we are in the right time frame. Robert posted two articles on page 2 of this thread; in the longer article, an interviewee describes sleeping over the ropes. He states “It’s a little tough at first, but you try it for a few weeks, and its regular well snoozin’. I’ve got calluses on my back and under my arms, and that’ ere ropes fine as live feathers now. Still no photos of the actual act but it is a FIRST HAND account of someone doing it for an extended period of time. I will have a whole week off next week and I plan to experiment with this. I will have my wife take photos and write a short summary of what I find out.
                          'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Originally posted by smezenen View Post
                            I will have my wife take photos and write a short summary of what I find out.
                            Now, THAT'S dedication for you!

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                              What I object to,is that old,frail,and sometimes ill persons,men and women,did,night after night,for hours at a time,sleep in that position.That is what has been claimed.
                              Let me ask you one simple question about this one...

What choice did those people have?

It's very funny how a lack of choices dictates what you will and won't, what you "can" and "can't", do.

Originally posted by harry View Post
                              A little about proof."I walked along the beach this morning".That is a claim,it lacks proof.How does one prove it.How do I myself prove it.How would one start to prove it?Anyone care to try?It is pertinent to what I have claimed in posts.
                              We all know that you want photographs that don't exist. Many people have pointed out to you that there are a lot of things that we know have happened in history, but for which there are no photographs.

I know very well that another human being killed and mutilated Mary Jane Kelly -- I know this as sure as I know my own name, and yet there is no photograph of her murderer hanging over her. I suppose one could argue that we don't know that she was murdered, that for all we know she was just an incredibly determined and motivated suicide, because there is no photograph of her murderer in the act of murder -- but I only know one person who would fall for something that illogical. (And that's why I avoid that person at family functions.)

There are too many stories of people sleeping over a rope, and from too many sources. Now, there has to be a reason for that, doesn't there?

Possibility Number One -- it really happened, whether there are photos or not, and no matter how incredible it may sound.

Possibility Number Two -- it didn't happen, just like there are no NINA signs and never were, and just like Victorians didn't cover up all the legs on the furniture lest some male get turned on by the piano's comely limbs.

I freely confess that I'm largely leaning toward Possibility Number One, because a lack of photos does not prove that something did not happen. And who on earth would have photographed such a thing in those days? There are all kinds of mundane things that people just plain didn't photograph, because they didn't think it was important. Destitute people sleeping over a rope in an East End doss house is certainly subject matter that I can easily believe no photographer would have thought was a big deal to document. (It relates directly to the reason some very mundane things become valuable antiques -- no one thought they were important, so they threw them all out, or used them until they broke, and thought nothing of it. Consequently, they're now rare and expensive.)

Instead of demanding that we all prove to your satisfaction that people did indeed sleep over a rope, perhaps you should be trying to prove to us that it never happened. With respect, nothing you've posted proves your own position -- you've offered your opinion, and your disbelief. Nothing else.

Originally posted by smezenen View Post
                              I will have a whole week off next week and I plan to experiment with this. I will have my wife take photos and write a short summary of what I find out.
                              That is dedication... Make sure you take video with sound for YouTube. Something tells me that part of the audience will want to hear you snoring.
                              Last edited by Khanada; 03-24-2009, 06:58 AM.
                              ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Hi Harry,
                                Some of the interior photos taken of this era were courtesy of the invention of magnesium flashpowder circa 1890.Acounts for the startled,"candid" look of some people.
                                Who would be game/stupid enough to attempt photographing destitute people who have just paid that extra penny for use of the rope in an attempt to sleep?

Comment

Working...
                                X