Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settles Street looking to Rowton House Fieldgate Street undated cracking image

Comment

• 58-70 Old Montague Street early 1920s

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
        December 2019 - we need to fire up this thread again :>
        100% agree not a lot of traffic or comments seem to happen on these images

Comment

• Originally posted by Christian View Post

Hi Christian,

I've no doubt your photographic contributions are greatly appreciated, I certainly enjoy them. The thread doesn't generate much chatter, I suppose, because they don't pose questions or some such, there's maybe not so much to discuss. Be that as it may, I'd wholeheartedly encourage you to keep putting up your findings. You've got a bit of a niche interest, but one that's undoubtedly appreciated.

(Here's a tip. Post a picture, and put "is this Mary Kelly? That'll get a response)

As for your tatty old books, no one wants to see them. I'll help you declutter. Offers there.
          Last edited by Al Bundy's Eyes; 11-17-2020, 09:56 PM. Reason: Question mark
          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Christian View Post

Your contributions are much appreciated, Christian.

Over the years this has been my favourite thread on Casebook.

Here’s a small contribution, something I’ve already posted over on JTRForums. It’s a photo of Dunbar House, a doss house at 42, West India Dock road that was taken over by Jack McCarthy in the early 1900s. It seems that at one stage the notorious ‘Squibby’ was running it for McCarthy.
            Last edited by MrBarnett; 11-18-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Here’s a close up showing the same three men outside Dunbar House - in the 1920s allegedly. The 1939 register shows Dunbar House occupied entirely by Chinese sailors and Indian pedlars.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Here’s a small contribution, something I’ve already posted over on JTRForums. It’s a photo of Dunbar House, a doss house at 42, West India Dock road that was taken over by Jack McCarthy in the early 1900s. It seems that at one stage the notorious ‘Squibby’ was running it for McCarthy.
                2 doors down (no. 46) was where Johannes Morgenstern and Elizabeth Boekee (Morganstone and Buki) moved to from Pennington Street around 1890.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Hi Christian,

I've no doubt your photographic contributions are greatly appreciated, I certainly enjoy them. The thread doesn't generate much chatter, I suppose, because they don't pose questions or some such, there's maybe not so much to discuss. Be that as it may, I'd wholeheartedly encourage you to keep putting up your findings. You've got a bit of a niche interest, but one that's undoubtedly appreciated.

(Here's a tip. Post a picture, and put "is this Mary Kelly? That'll get a response)

As for your tatty old books, no one wants to see them. I'll help you declutter. Offers there.
                  Thanks for your kind words al the tatty books I shall ponder on that one sir yes the scenes of the crimes streets alleys etc have always been a massive passion for 30+ years as have the tatty books! I enjoy most of the threads posts on here but some of it is repetitive argumentative often pointless!! And often fun again thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Mr Barnett thanks for your kind comments sir!wow not seen this image it’s a cracker along with McCarthy connection definitely my kind of thing!!This forum is fantastic interesting often funny and importantly friendly!!Some threads can be repetitive sometimes absurd but always interesting again thanks

Comment

• Whitechapel Road late 20s early 30s??

Comment

• I'd be inclined to say 1910's - WW1.

The truck has solid tyres, unfortunately it's hard to establish more, but it fits that period.

Was there any description with the picture?
                        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• 259 is where Joseph Merrick was first "exhibited" in London. Building looks the same today.
                          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• The Bon Marche store tells us it was after 1921.

The folk singers suggest late 1940s,early 1950s.
                            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Berner Street 1940-41
                              Afraid no more information on this image!!

Comment

• Old Montague Street

Comment

Working...
                                X