Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope they do something positive with that tower, Phil. Not far from where I live there was a similar edifice, which was once an enormous "camera obscura", built in the mid C19th. The original owners would use it to show off views of Swansea Bay and the surrounding area to their guests.

Anyhow, this was derelict for years, before being rescued and converted into a hotel/spa and restaurant. They've made a really good job of it, too - it's very popular for weddings and honeymoons. The photo below doesn't do it justice, but there's more info and pics on this link

Click image for larger version

Name:	tower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	654500
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Hi All,

Just before I left Wales for California's sunnier climes the old asylum/hospital in Caersws was being transformed into luxury apartments. One of its features was a tower—a ventilation shaft as I recall. The developers refused to tear it down because they would never have been permitted to build anything as tall in its place.

What a piece of forward thinking. It now serves as a mobile phone mast and all the old features have been preserved.

Regards,

Simon
      Last edited by Simon Wood; 07-31-2008, 01:25 AM. Reason: spolling mistook
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Excellent work Philip,

Thank you.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Since towers seem to be in vogue ...

Name:	7-31-08   1.JPG
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	654502
          Bryant & May Match Factory, Fairfield Road, St. Mary Stratford Bow, October 2007
          from west

Name:	7-31-08   2.jpg
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	654503

Name:	7-31-08   3.JPG
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	654504
          Bryant & May Match Factory, Fairfield Road, St. Mary Stratford Bow, October 2007
          interior, from southwest

Name:	7-31-08   4.JPG
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	654505

Name:	7-31-08   5.JPG
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	654506

Name:	7-31-08   6.JPG
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	654507
          from southeast

Name:	7-31-08   7.jpg
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	654509
          Google Earth Aerial, 2006
          Bryant & May Match Factory, Fairfield Road, St. Mary Stratford Bow

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	654508

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
            I take it most of us know that Polly Nichols spent a lot of time in her final years at the Lambeth Workhouse. Did you know, though, that some of it still stands?
            Hi Philip,

Great photos. Out of interest, how do we know that Nichols was at the workhouse on Renfrew Road, and not the one on Black Prince Road (Princes Road)?

Regards,

Mark

Comment

• Hi,
              Charlie Chaplin, his brother and I think his mum spent time in the workhouse as well.
              At one time they lived in close by "West Square".

Also close by is the imperial war museum, the former Bedlam asylum. Traces of that can be found in this plaques on a wall outside the park of the museum.

Christian

Name:	Bedlam 1.jpg
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	654519

Comment

• and here the wall with the plaques.

Name:	Bedlam 2.jpg
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	654520

Comment

• Mark, you make a fair point. I was aware of another workhouse in Lambeth but I had never researched it and I assumed the building of the new one had superceded it. I didn't realise they co-existed.

However, though we can't be sure that Polly was at Renfrew Road, I would say it is more likely than not as in 1887-8 Prince's Road was undergoing a lot of building work and I think Renfrew Road had a larger capacity anyway. Does anyone (Chris Scott?) have the official records?

Incidentally, the one and only time I lived in London (five weeks of Hell doing a tour of deprived schools in 1999 I think) I was actually living in Black Prince Road itself. It's a horrible area!

PHILIP
                  Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Thanks for these great photos---see you tomorrow Chris ,Philip and those going to the WS meeting.
                    Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                      However, though we can't be sure that Polly was at Renfrew Road, I would say it is more likely than not as in 1887-8 Prince's Road was undergoing a lot of building work and I think Renfrew Road had a larger capacity anyway.
                      Hi Philip,

Agreed - I have no further information, but I would think that Renfrew Road is more likely for exactly the reasons you provide.

Thanks for your response.

Mark

Comment

• Workhouses in Lambeth

Prince's Road: originally called Workhouse Lane and later Black Prince Road. The Poor Law Parish of Lambeth was formed in 1834 but the workhouse in Prince's Road predated this. In 1887 the site was converted to a workhouse for the able bodied, with the elderly and the infirm being housed at Renfrew Road.
                        Renfrew Road: The workhouse at this site was built from 1871 to 1873. An infirmary and casual wards were added in the late 1870s.

It was the Prince's Road workhouse that was used to help identify Nichols as the following passage from Sugden makes clear:
                        "The real breakthrough occurred when the police examined the dead woman's petticoats and found the mark "Lambeth Workhouse, P.R." (i.e. Prince's Road) upon them."

Comment

• So a totally wasted journey then. Thanks, nevertheless, Chris. Clarity is always better. Not pleased, though.

PHILIP
                          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Hi Philip
                            Certainly not a wasted journey! This is a fascinating site in its own right and the pics were great - thanks for posting them
                            Chris

Comment

• I received a book today which some of you may be familiar with. It's called 'Say Goodbye: You May Never See Them Again' by Arnold Wesker and John Allin, published in 1974 (this copy belonged to my late grandparents).

It is illustrated with Allin's paintings from the early 1970's and obviously the book celebrates the old East End at a time when redevelopment was in full swing.

Here are some examples of his entertaining, Lowry-esque work. Enjoy.

Whitechapel Road showing the entrance to Black Lion Yard

Name:	BlackLion.jpg
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	654538

Fashion Street

Name:	Fashion.jpg
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	654539

Brick Lane, at the junction with Old Montague Street. The pub on the right is now called The Archer's.

Name:	OldMontague.jpg
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	654540

Wentworth Street - this looks like the north side, ie Strafford Houses

Name:	Wentworth.jpg
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	654541

And one that you may be familiar with from the cover of Jerry White's book, Rothschild Buildings.

Name:	Rothschild.jpg
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	654542

Comment

• Some photos I've across recently:

Cannon Street Road 1910

Name:	Cannon Street Road 1910 .jpg
Size:	100.3 KB