This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitby?

Hi Im new to the website. Im wondering if anyone can tell me more about the Whitby Collection. Im intrigued as my surname is Whitby.
    Can anyone enlighten me please.
    Many thanks

Comment

• Thanks for all the photos everyone.
      Im new to the website, and have always wanted to be transported back to Spitalfields in 88, particularly the evil quartermile. Well youve all provided the next best thing, and Im really grateful for sharing them all.
      Is anyone up for walking round one day or night to show me the sites? I want to know more than they show on the walks.
      Pete

Comment

• Pete - I'm the owner and discoverer, if you like, of The Whitby Collection.

I acquired them from my friend, Margaret Whitby-Green, about a year ago. She knew she had them but had no idea of their historical value. They were taken by her uncle, John Gordon Whitby, in 1961. Whitby was simply an amateur criminologist who - unlike many here except Stewart Evans - actually took a camera with him when he did his Ripper site visits at a time when JTR was not as de rigeur as he is today.

John died some years ago but the family is from the North Midlands (Lincolnshire to be exact). Margaret inherited his photographs and the series of shots, including the interior and back of 29 Hanbury Street (taken on more than one occasion), had been languishing in a kitchen drawer for years. Margaret just casually mentioned it to me when we met up in London in the spring of 2007.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• So who served better coffee, Sam or Howard? This is really critical to the whole Mitre Square play.

Comment

• A few pages back John posted some screen caps from a 'Spitalfields Trust' DVD. I managed to get hold of a copy and here are some other screencaps.

Norton Folgate looking towards Spital Square.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Spitalfields Trust Spital Square from Norton Folgate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	653634

Fournier Street

Name:	Spitalfields Fournier Street.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	653635

I believe this is Steward Street looking towards Fort Street. On the right are 'Wingate & Johnston, Export Packers' at number 19.

Name:	Spitalfields Trust Steward Street.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	653636

No idea where this one is.

Name:	Spitalfields Trust Photo 3.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	653637

Nor this, but could the tent in the road be similar to what Patrick Mulshaw was watching over in Winthrop Street?

Name:	Spitalfields Trust PM.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	653638

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
              could the tent in the road be similar to what Patrick Mulshaw was watching over in Winthrop Street?
              [ATTACH]1598[/ATTACH]
              I reckon so, Rob - nice find.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Great pics Rob!! What does it say on that sign in the 'tent' pic???

Suz x
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                  Great pics Rob!! What does it say on that sign in the 'tent' pic???
                  The last word is "Clothier", but I can't make out the rest, Suzi. Perhaps Rob's (unscanned) version will be clearer.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Hi Gareth, Suzi

The best I can make out the top line is A or H ......weld

Name:	cb.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	653639

Rob

Comment

Hi Gareth, Suzi

The best I can make out the top line is A or H ......weld

[ATTACH]1599[/ATTACH]
                      Thanks, Rob. I now see it as:

H & (something) ....feld
                      (indecipherable)
                      Bespoke
                      Clothier
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Hi Gareth,

It might be R(aphael) Sonenfield, 26 White Lion Street. I'm not 100% because on the maps I've looked at it should be a bit more to the left. If I'm right the photo was taken from Elder Street.

This is the Goads map from 1944, when the street was (as it is now) Folgate Street. As you can see it is a bit tight.

Name:	Sheet 309 July 1944 cb.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	653641

Rob

Comment

• I have sharpened the image using Gimp and this is what I can make out:

R & O (?) ....eld

whole sale
                          Bespoke (?)

Clothier
                          ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

It might be R(aphael) Sonenfield, 26 White Lion Street. I'm not 100% because on the maps I've looked at it should be a bit more to the left. If I'm right the photo was taken from Elder Street. This is the Goads map from 1944, when the street was (as it is now) Folgate Street. As you can see it is a bit tight.

[ATTACH]1601[/ATTACH]
                            Indeed it is, but I think you're correct, Rob - although the pixellation is bad at high magnification, what I see is certainly congruent with "R Sonenfield". Tight corners aside, that may well be White Lion from Folgate Street, at least to my eyes.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Cheers Gareth, I'll have a look before the next Whitechapel meeting as there is a good possibility that the buildings might still be there.

Rob

Comment

• Elder Street

Post 360 has a photo of the building at the North corner of Elder Street and Folgate Street. It looks very similar to the building in the 'R Sonenfield' photo.

Comment

Working...
                                X