This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovely pics all
    Rob I particularly liked the Marmalade Wine ad!!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	seville.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	653597
    Mangers of London
    Seville Oranges for WINE Marmalade(!)
    Last edited by Suzi; 05-01-2008, 11:39 PM.
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	fid.jpg
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	653598

What's going on in this corner??? and who's the chap coming in bottom left?? and who/what's looking out of that net cutain just above him?!! (Rather flippantly I can see Gonzo!!!!)......!!! Altogether a BRILLIANT pic!!!!!!!!! I keep seeing things!!!! and keep thinking I'm being looked at!!!!

The Prince Albert ("The Clean House"!!) is a great pic though Rob!...I reckon it's late '50's/early '60's the Coca Cola sign though may tend to put it into the early '60's must check those graphics!

Suz x
      Last edited by Suzi; 05-02-2008, 12:01 AM.
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Hi Suzi,

It's part of the Orange Market', here's part of a painting from 1884 showing the exact same area except it's bright and cheery instead of the photos dark and depressing.

Name:	St James Place 1884 cb.jpg
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	653599

Rob

Comment

• Here's the poster from the St James Place photo. I didn't notice that there was a date on it which looks like ....day 6th July 1891

Name:	St James Place 1890 detail.jpg
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	653600

Rob

Comment

• Hi Rob,

July 6th 1891 was a Monday.

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
              [ATTACH]1547[/ATTACH]

What's going on in this corner??? and who's the chap coming in bottom left?? and who/what's looking out of that net cutain just above him?!! (Rather flippantly I can see Gonzo!!!!)......!!! Altogether a BRILLIANT pic!!!!!!!!! I keep seeing things!!!! and keep thinking I'm being looked at!!!!

The Prince Albert ("The Clean House"!!) is a great pic though Rob!...I reckon it's late '50's/early '60's the Coca Cola sign though may tend to put it into the early '60's must check those graphics!

Suz x
              People keep popping out of this, don't they? Some of them I didn't even see af first because they look like part of the bricks. Haunting in a way, isn't it? I liked it the minute I saw it.
              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• "Dangers of London.....Oranges for Wine"

Not the best marketing in the world, but a great pic, and yes, it does feel as if you are being watched!!
                Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                  I only remember the conversation about cobbles

Jake thought you'd be pleased.

Rob
                  More pleased than he is I bet. Mainly cos he missed the lamp on the corner there !

It was prior 'Cobblegate'. We were wandering around Creechurch Lane and was in St James place, debating if certain buildings were contemparory. One of them was the building which now sits on the same spot of the building in this latest photo. We werent certain, I guess we are now.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Ah yes I remember know, it was our little recce of the area, or getting a feel for the locale (or local as I said at the time ). I thought I said it wasn't there at the time as the area is blank on the 1894 O.S. but I could be wrong.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      More pleased than he is I bet. Mainly cos he missed the lamp on the corner there !

Monty
                      I most certainly did not- look to the right
                      But I admit, the lamp finial will have to be revised....

Name:	OM_len-1.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	653611

Regards,

Jake Somethingski

PS That was one helluva find by Rob!

Comment

• Jake Kasminksy, Kosminski, Cohen *

No, the lamp you have put in is obviously a cockspur whereas the lamp in Robs picture is clearly a fishtail. Do keep up.

Good to see verification though isnt it? If only Rob could find one of Chamber Street not taken from a balloon.

Rob,

Yeah, I remember you saying it was highly unlikely the current building was there in 88

Cheers

Monty

* Please delete as appropriate.
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Where's Sam's Coffee House?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                            Where's Sam's Coffee House?
                            I can't remember coming across a Sam's Coffee House. Howard's Coffee House & Hotel (later Club) is at no 3, (on the right, with the round lamps).
                            /Jake

Comment

• Thanks Jake. Turns out that Sam's is directly behind the draftsman who did the drawing (at no. 9 King Street). The draper, Ester Levy, lived at no. 4 in the back left corner. She was a cousin of the butcher, Joseph H. Levy.
                              Last edited by Scott Nelson; 05-02-2008, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Hi Scott,
                                Yes, I came across Esther in the directories. I remember that for 1891 (as close as I could get) some businesses had to be fished out of the trade (not street) directories and right now I can't find the file where I had stashed those.

Of course, the changes in the street numbering in the early 1890s threw another spanner in the works...luckily enough businesses stayed put for long enough so that I could make sense out of most of it.
                                /j.

Comment

Working...
                                X