X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danke, und guten abend, mein freund.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
      Didn't this used to be the Grave Maurice?
      Unless they have rebuilt the whole building I can safely say no it isnt

It was certainly open last time I went by a couple months back. Ive never been in but keep meaning to - I heard the Krays used to drink there, although it looks more like a club than a pub these days - all neon bars and cocktails, not really my sort of place, give me The White Hart anyday!

Comment

• I presume most people are aware of this fantastic new book "Lost London: 1870-1945" - I searched but couldnt find a thread about it - anyway - just got my copy today, its a big heavy coffee table style book with hundreds of beautifully printed photos of London as it was in 1870 up to 1945. Very highly recommended! (and yes, it does feature images from Spitalfields, Aldgate and Whitechapel).

Comment

• I was going to go back and check the proper site of the Grave Maurice out today, but didn't have time - or perhaps (possibly) like Hutchinson I got my days mixed up. I should have time tommorrow...

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
            I presume most people are aware of this fantastic new book "Lost London: 1870-1945" - I searched but couldnt find a thread about it - anyway - just got my copy today, its a big heavy coffee table style book with hundreds of beautifully printed photos of London as it was in 1870 up to 1945.
            Yes, an absolutely fantastic book (and that's an understatement ) The list price is £29 and I got it from Amazon for £18 post free a month ago and was absolutely gobsmacked by its excellence. This is pure quality.
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• The Maurice has certainly changed (several times) and not for the better. When I first went there, it was a scruffy, workingman's pub with two or three decent ales on the hand pumps. Decor? Forget it. But you could always count on finding one or two elderly gents in flat caps who would be happy to give you all the inside info on JtR.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                Danke, und guten abend, mein freund.
                I have been informed that I didn't capitalize the nouns properly in this sentence. You've heard of High German and Low German? Well, I speak a relatively unknown dialect called Lower Case German. It's obscure and, as far as I know, is spoken only by me and a poet in Munich named e.e. cummins-sie-hier.

Comment

• A day late but here it is now...
                  The grave of the Maurice.
                  A resounding victory for Paddy Power. No more alcohol, although I think they serve tea and coffee for the punters. (For those may not know it is a successful chain of bookmakers – betting shops).
                  No wonder I didn’t notice the place the other day when it was disguised so cunningly. That’s my excuse. The original name can still be read behind the scaffolding sheets.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• As I approached the old Grave Maurice, I fleetingly noticed a figure pass by with what looked like a folded newspaper under his arm. At that distance I was unsure whether it was Der Arbeiter Fraint or Der Arbeter Fraint, although I did notice that he was wearing a horseshoe shaped tie pin.
                    I considered asking him what he was doing, as I had a sort of intuition that the man was not quite right. However I did not as I am concerned that there may be frequent outcries about interference with the liberty of subject.
                    In any case I followed this fellow round various by ways. At one moment he stumbled a few feet away from me. I was going to make that an excuse for engaging him in conversation. But the only words I am familiar with in what I presumed to be his spiel are meshugener, schlemiel, schmuck, tuches and ganef.
                    I judged that it would be wiser to hold my tongue than to speak. Particularly as I don’t know whether I should have capitalised any of the words.
                    While pondering this matter, he gave me the slip. I rounded a corner and he had disappeared! In the distance I faintly heard the cry of ‘Lipski’ echo down the thoroughfare.

This is where I lost him... Gawd knows where I was by then.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• He likely entered the red tube-like structure that looks like a mail recepticle but is actually a lift which travels many stories below ground level to a large underground city. Only wizards know about this.

Mudblood John
                      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

• Now you have drawn my attention to that object I may open a thread to discuss whether there is any relevance in it being painted red and black.

Comment

• Lechmere - you write like a poet.

And thats a damn shame about The Grave Maurice! Im pissed off now that I didnt go in there when I walked past and it was open about 6 months ago.........never again!!

Comment

• You can still go in and have a flutter on the 4.30 at Chepstow

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                              The grave of the Maurice.
                              A resounding victory for Paddy Power. No more alcohol, although I think they serve tea and coffee for the punters. (For those may not know it is a successful chain of bookmakers – betting shops).
                              Ah well. The last time I was up at the top of Brick Lane about 4 years ago I saw another pub called The Grave Maurice on Old Bethnal Green Road.

Does anyone know if that one is still there?
                              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• I'm shocked...and appalled...and, well, shocked.

Comment

Working...
                                X