This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Trevor,

I didn't look at The New York Herald for 1891 so I don't know. I would be very surprised if they didn't.

The first Mitre Square drawing is looking towards Rippers corner from roughly the entrance with Mitre Street. The light is on the corner of William and Co and then you would have Mitre Street and then the back of Tayler's shop. The light would have been added after the murder as it wasn't there in 1888.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
      The light would have been added after the murder as it wasn't there in 1888.Rob
      Thanks Rob - that is what was confusing me!

Comment

• A few shots taken at the beginning of this week...

An uninvited guest joins John Bennett's tour in Puma Court.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Puma Court.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	659725

Finally plucked up the courage to take a pic of Bishopsgate Police Station, admittedly from the other side of the road!

Name:	Bishopsgate Police Station.jpg
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	659720

Dukes Place looking towards the old Orange Market.

Name:	Dukes Place.jpg
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	659721

Mitre Passage looking in the direction of the square.

Name:	Mitre Passage.jpg
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	659722

The commencement of demolition in Mitre Square? Part of the car park wall on the site of the K&T warehouse has been destroyed.

Name:	Priory Plaque.jpg
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	659723

The Bell pub as seen from the City of London side of Middlesex Street.

Name:	The Bell.jpg
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	659724

All the best
        Andrew

Comment

• how much trouble would i get if i stole a brick from mitre square....the bit they are demolishing...........

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
            how much trouble would i get if i stole a brick from mitre square....the bit they are demolishing...........
            No more trouble than those who've tried stealing the setts from the square itself!

Besides, that wall dates from the late 1970s or early 1980s, so there's nothing of JtR value in those bricks. I'm slightly worried someone might attempt to steal the plaque though. That appears to have been originally set into the wall of the old K&T warehouse. Hopefully they'll incorporate it into the new office building whenever that gets built.

All the best
            Andrew

Comment

• Adam,
              Cant quite get by bearings, what part of Mitre Sq is being demolished ?
              You could proberbly get away with lifting a brick, but dont expect it to be much older then 30yrs.

Comment

• Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                Cant quite get by bearings, what part of Mitre Sq is being demolished ?
                Spyglass, the demolished wall next to the plaque is in the north-west corner of the square next to the entrance to Mitre Passage. It is proposed to demolish the whole "Priory Square" office development that surrounds the western and northern sides of the square, and build a new 15(?) storey building in its place. Nothing has happened yet though, apart from the demolished wall....

All the best
                Andrew

Comment

• Andrew,
                  Im with you now. Many Thanks.

Comment

• Went up to The Museum of London today - first time since I was a kid on a trip with my primary school Im quite sure.

Very interesting, the late 1880's were somewhat skipped by but to my surprise they did have a Sickert painting and also a seemingly original front page of the infamous Police News paper.

(also interesting to see a Ronnie Kray painting "The Crucifiction".........the famous east-end gangster of course).
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Adam
                      this is from the website of the Museum: "The Museum of London is undergoing a huge redevelopment and the galleries stop at 1666, with the exception of objects in temporary exhibitions."
                      Is this still up to date then?

Thanks
                      Christian

Comment

• maybe that refers to another section, the main "timeline" areas go right up to present day.

Comment

• East End Slums

[ATTACH]9638[/ATTACH]
                          Place???
                          [ATTACH]9639[/ATTACH]
                          East End slum dwellings c.1914
                          Place???
                          Last edited by jsantos; 07-10-2010, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• A few pictures from Monday night when I had a little wander around the east end....

Fashion Street Arcade

Name:	Fashion Street Jul10.jpg
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	659826

Two views of Half Moon Passage, located just off Alie Street.

Name:	Half Moon Passage.jpg
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	659827

Name:	Half Moon Passage 2.jpg
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	659828

Heneage Lane, (which formed part of PC Watkins beat), looking towards Bevis Marks.

Name:	Heneage Lane Jul10.jpg
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	659829

A view of the site of Dutfields Yard, just off today's Henriques Street.

Name:	Henriques St Gates.jpg
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	659830

All the best
                            Andrew

Comment

• Here are some shots I took on Sunday starting with Catherine Wheel Alley, Brady Street and the rest walking down Whitechapel Road seeing some of the locals for a change instead of the buildings! Hope you like, all shot on a Canon SX200 and converted to B+W.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Lovely photos Adam - particularly the elderly couple in what if I am not mistaken is the Whitechapel High Street end.

Little snippet of transatlantic news that may interest anyone with a history of wandering the 'area' - on his recent visit to the US, British Prime Minister's gift to American President Barack Obama was a painting 'Twenty-first Century City' by an artist called Ben Aime, the same man who painted the 'HAPPY' graffiti along the shutters on Middlesex Street.

Have you got any photos of the shutters to round off the story, Andrew (or anyone)? I only have video footage.

Comment

Working...
                                X