This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Rob-
    Isn't that a great shaped building at the end of Whitechurch Lane with Mr White Shoes- and could that be a red scarf!!!! in front....-it MUST have been a pub at some point surely?

Suz x
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Hi Suzi,

Surprisingly it was never a pub. I t reminds me a bit of The Commercial Tavern. The building was used in the 1890s and early 1900s by Richard Edmund Goodrich, Oilman.

Rob x

Comment

• Hi Rob,
        In the photo labeled "Henriques Street with not 1 but 3 new gates", what are the objects at the top of the tall building in the background? They appear to be screens of some sort?

Comment

• Hi Brenda,

Do you mean the blue pipe work? I'm not sure what they are, they look like just fancy dressing to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Henriques Street.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	657152

Rob

Comment

• Hi Rob-

Thanks for that- Great buiding though 'eh.... and that fancy dressing' I reckon is just that- toot on top of a toot building 'eh!

Suzi x

Lots of gateways there (Blimey 3 !!!!!!) for De L to deny and refer everyone to the other side of the road where of course- nothing has changed!!!!!!!!! heeee! x
            Last edited by Suzi; 06-07-2009, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Hi Suzi,

Me and Philip were having a chat with the man himself last night and for a few minutes he was actually quite lucid and then I think the medication wore off and he was back to his usual self.

Rob x

Comment

• Thanks Rob! That close-up makes much more sense to my tired myopic eyes!

Comment

• Gawd- that's some medication!!!!!!.........equine recommended???...or.....

Comment

• Many thanks for such brilliant photos Rob. The Bell pub looks more like a gentlemans club with the dark glass and all.Whats it like inside?
                    Christian St ones are a little sad,what a damn shame.

Comment

• Hi Pete,

The Bell was shut when I went past and it looked quite dark when I went past. I think Monty was in there a couple of weeks back so he might know what it was like inside.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                        Hi Rob-
                        Isn't that a great shaped building at the end of Whitechurch Lane with Mr White Shoes- and could that be a red scarf!!!! in front....-it MUST have been a pub at some point surely?

Suz x
                        Suzi,
                        that sprang to my mind straight away too - amazed to think that was NEVER a pub at any time..!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                          Hi Pete,

The Bell was shut when I went past and it looked quite dark when I went past. I think Monty was in there a couple of weeks back so he might know what it was like inside.

Rob
                          Unfortunately, as it was still morning, and me being a good boy, I didnt venture in.

There seems to be a rage at the moment of pubs ,and some shops, reverting back to their victorian liveries.

I see it as a cynical attempt to cash in on the Jack murders. Even more so when I saw what drinks were advertised at The Bell...which was another reason why I didnt venture in.

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Brick Lane 1977

Name:	bricktextile77.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	657167

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                              Hi Pete,

Rob
                              I went in there today, for the first time ever. It was about 6pm and I was VERY pleasantly surprised. Buzzing but not too crowded, nice clientele and nice beer.

I will definitely be going again soon.

Comment

• Just a few arty photomontage thingies I put together recently, of small picture fragments of Whitechapel and Spitalfields. See if anyone can correctly identify where they were all taken! Some are easier than others obviously...

Name:	jtr fragments 1 copy.jpg
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	657176

Name:	jtr fragments 2 copy.jpg
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	657177

Name:	jtr fragments 3 copy.jpg