Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remains of the Priory as seen through the window of the Towergate offices, just off Mitre Street.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	priory remains.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	657179

A view of the gated entrance of the Truman Hanbury & Buxton brewery on Brick Lane, as seen in the mirrored glass of the brewery offices.

Name:	truman hanbury buxton.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	657180

The former Dorset Street with temporary fencing across the western end, as seen in February 2009

Name:	dorset st 0209.jpg
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	657181

All the best
    Andrew

Comment

• Ooh quizzes! OK how's this for the first one (L-R):

Artillery Lane/Gun St.
      Angel Alley
      Bishopsgate Goods Yard
      St James' Passage
      Sandy's Row/Frying Pan Alley
      Mitre Square
      15 Wilkes Street
      Aldgate (?)
      Blossom St./Fleur de Lis St.

Great images by the way. They look superb.

Comment

• John,

Spot on with all nine in the first image! (The Aldgate one is a close up of the Aldgate Pump).

Any takers for the other two sets of images?

Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post
          Brick Lane 1977

[ATTACH]5798[/ATTACH]
          What a lovely evocative image.. I must say this thread is superb.

Comment

• Originally posted by silverstealth View Post
            What a lovely evocative image..
            Agreed. Do you reckon that chap is Jewish, by any chance?

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
              Agreed. Do you reckon that chap is Jewish, by any chance?
              Straight of fthe Oliver Twist filmset..

Here are some of mine from

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children which was founded in 1867 in Virginia Road, Bethnal Green, as the North Eastern Hospital for Children. The Hospital moved to Hackney Road, Bethnal Green, shortly after its foundation and was renamed Queen's Hospital for Children in 1907. The Hospital was absorbed with the Princess Elizabeth of York Hospital for Children, Shadwell in 1942 and renamed the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children. Thereafter the Hospital was administered as one establishment but functioned on two sites: Queen Elizabeth, Hackney Road, and Queen Elizabeth, Shadwell. A third site at Banstead, Surrey, the Banstead Wood Country Hospital, was opened in 1948.

The Mortuary.

Comment

• Comment

• And this is Middlesex Hospital w1 now sadly demolished although the magnificent chapel remains on stilts..

View from the roof at dawn.

Comment

• Comment

• The above images were taken early 2008

The site today.

Comment

• You make me very jealous, Andrew and Sil. I wish I had a fraction of your talent.

Comment

• They've done that to the lovely Middlesex!!! I used to walk past that building regularly on my way to college... and my auntie was a nurse there for years and years.

And so to bed - somewhat saddened, but grateful for your excellent photos, all.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by silverstealth View Post
                            [ATTACH]5840[/ATTACH]

Name:	Chapel-only-left.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	657197
                            Red Color-Shading: Approximate Location of 19 Cleveland Street, Parish of St. Marylebone
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Silverstealth, your photos are amazing- you must be a professional photographer. I can't get over the clarity of your shots. Did you get your camera from MI5 or what?
                              Love the 2 scary photos of the old abandoned wheel chairs- let's hope you weren't so seized with the fervor of artistic inspiration that you pitched some poor old geezer out of his seat.

And that Chapel is just stunning, like a little Byzantine jewel. Thank God they didn't demolish it! Must have been quite a job to take down that giant hospital that was built around it.
                              I noticed the steel scaffolding they used as if it were a giant 'cage'. I would imagine they had to avoid any 'rumble' or shock to the old brick chapel down below; they certainly did a good job.

Out where I live, we just blow things up in 20-50 yrs and start over!
                              Maybe Mount St. Helens subliminally affected us.

Good night, all. Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                                Silverstealth, your photos are amazing- you must be a professional photographer. I can't get over the clarity of your shots. Did you get your camera from MI5 or what?
                                Archaic

Thanks for the compliment, I am but a budding amateur..

Here are some taken last year from the roof of Southwark Towers

Comment

Working...
                                X