Clear All

• Sclater Street girl
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sclater77.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	657221

Comment

• Paddy Goose, I'm baffled by the perspective in your great photo "Sclater Street Girl".
      The girls in the background are a fraction her size- smaller than the bit of newspaper blowing on the sidewalk.
      Surely she can't be that high up, or the others that far away? Is it something to do with the particular lens used?

Thanks, Archaic

Comment

• Wow guys, what a collection this is! But the whole Casebook-website is incredibly hilarious. I can imagine the hard work behind this site. Whatever I want to know, I can find the answer here.

I'm not a newbie, although I post very rarely here, once I posted a question in a thread, but a minute later I found the answer in a different one (not as a reply to my question, if I had read the threads and posts on, I shouldn't have posed stupid questions. Perhaps that's why I don't post too many times, because I can find anything without asking. Here's a detailed, serious research, with so many people's work). So, all I want to 'say', write, everybody's just brilliant here.

OK, there was 1 question I haven't got an answer yet ever since : when I first registered, a couple of years ago, I posed a question if anybody had known Agatha Christie's opinion on the ID of the Ripper. The reply I got was: the butler was ! So, you're not lack of humour, either, which is really good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
          Paddy Goose, I'm baffled by the perspective in your great photo "Sclater Street Girl".
          ... Is it something to do with the particular lens used?
          You are too kind, Archaic, I got it from the internet. The Thomson photo book you linked, I found one of those shots, the Nomades and posted it here (click)

Here's the Clifton resturant, Brick Lane

Name:	clifton75.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	657222

Comment

• Ah, yes, Paddy;

"Venus On A Half-Shell" I believe that mural's called.

Tres arty. Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
              Paddy Goose, I'm baffled by the perspective in your great photo "Sclater Street Girl".
              The girls in the background are a fraction her size- smaller than the bit of newspaper blowing on the sidewalk.
              Surely she can't be that high up, or the others that far away? Is it something to do with the particular lens used?
              Hi Archaic

It's just natural perspective exaggerrated by the use of a slightly wide angle lens, in this case the equivalent of a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera. By the way, Lambeth doesn't rock. It WALKS.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Doing the Lambeth Walk!

Stephen, that 'Doing The Lambeth Walk' clip was great! Now I shall always envision all the residents of Lambeth Walking, dancing, whistling, and playing the spoons...with your good self as The Pearly King! Oi!

I was going to look for the Spitalfields Shuffle or the Whitechapel Wobble, but instead I found this fabulous
                1942 propaganda newsreel short: 'London's Newest Version of THE LAMBETH WALK, Performed by
                the Nazi Ballet, Without the Permission of Hitler'

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Several studios made their own unique versions. This is Movietone's version; I like the introduction quoting Hitler's own speech about personally "directing the steps" of the Nazi war effort. - "V" For Victory, Archaic

Comment

• The original Abbey Mills Pumping Station , in Abbey Lane, London E15, a sewerage pumping station, designed by engineer Joseph Bazalgette, Edmund Cooper, and architect Charles Driver. It was built between 1865 and 1868.

It was designed in a cruciform plan, with an elaborate Byzantine style, described as The Cathedral of Sewage. It has a twin, Crossness Pumping Station, south of the River Thames at Crossness, at the end of the Southern Outfall Sewer. The pumps raised the sewage in the London sewerage system between the two Low Level Sewers and the Northern Outfall Sewer, which was built in the 1860s to carry the increasing amount of sewage produced in London away from the centre of the city.

Two Moorish styled chimneys – unused since steam power had been replaced by electric motors in 1933 – were demolished during the Second World War, as they were a landmark for German bombers on raids over the London docks. The building still houses electric pumps – to be used in reserve

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Magnificent!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                        Stephen, that 'Doing The Lambeth Walk' clip was great! Now I shall always envision all the residents of Lambeth Walking, dancing, whistling, and playing the spoons...with your good self as The Pearly King! Oi!

I was going to look for the Spitalfields Shuffle or the Whitechapel Wobble, but instead I found this fabulous
                        1942 propaganda newsreel short: 'London's Newest Version of THE LAMBETH WALK, Performed by
                        the Nazi Ballet, Without the Permission of Hitler'

Several studios made their own unique versions. This is Movietone's version; I like the introduction quoting Hitler's own speech about personally "directing the steps" of the Nazi war effort. - "V" For Victory, Archaic
                        Am having a SERIOUS Tena Lady moment here!!!!!!! That's the funniest thing I've seen in a LONG time!!

Great pics too!

Suzi x
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• You can certainly see the internal Victorian architecture in the photos of the sewage pumping station.
                          And those photos of the hospital's a few pages back were brilliant,really capturing the horrors that must have gone on inside those buildings in the past.

Well done silverstealth,keep 'em coming !!

Comment

• Some photos I got yesterday.

East Ferry Road 9 May 1885

Name:	East Ferry Road 9 May 1885 W Whiffin.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	657231

Blackwall Buildings, Fulbourne Street, just prior to demolition in 1969. Just to the right you can glimpse Brady Street Dwellings.

Name:	Fulbourne Street Blackwall Buildings 1969.jpg
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	657232

Northumbria Street April 1947

Name:	Northumbria Street April 1947.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	657233

Old Rose, The Highway in the 1930s and still open for business.

Name:	Old Rose The Highway 1930s.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	657234

Orchard Place, Poplar c1924

Name:	Orchard Place c1924 W Whiffin.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	657235

Sheba Street, 1976 these were just off Buxton Street.

Name:	Sheba Street 23 November 1976 01.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	657236

Spital Square from Folgate Street 1944

Name:	Spital Square 13 November 1944.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	657237

The Britannia, Clifton Street c1930s

Name:	The Britannia Clifton Street 1930s.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	657238

and in 2009.

Name:	The Britannia Clifton Street 2009.JPG
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	657239

The Clare Hall, Oxford Street (now called Stepney Way). This was probably late 1920s

Name:	The Clare Hall Oxford Street Stepney 1930s 01.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	657240

and again in the 1930s/40s after it was rebuilt. It is still there easily recognisable but is now a Perfect Fried Chicken outlet (or something like that)

Name:	The Clare Hall Oxford Street Stepney 1930s 02.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	657241

The Crown and Shuttle, Shoreditch High Street 1930. The pub is still there but has long closed and looking very derelict.

Name:	The Crown and Shuttle Shoreditch High Street 1930s.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	657242

The Good Samaritan, Oxford Street (now Stepney Way) 1930s. Still there but rebuilt.

Name:	The Good Samaritan Oxford Street Stepney 1930s.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	657243

The Horse and Groom, Church Lane (now Whitechurch Lane) 1930s. Now called The Bar Locks. I posted a recent photo about 3 weeks ago.

Name:	The Horse and Groom Whitechurch Lane 1930s.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	657244

Wellclose Square 1 September 1911

Name:	Wellclose Square number 27 1 September 1911.jpg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	657245

and Wheler Street, looking towards Spitalfields Market c1920

Name:	Wheler Street c1920 W Whiffin.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	657246

Rob

Comment

• Silverstealth,

Your photos are absolutely brilliant. Night photography (or photos taken in dark areas with a long exposure) is a favourite of mine. (Shame the camera I have at the moment hasn't got any manual exposure controls!)

Anyway, those photos of the Abbey Mills pumping station are superb, and really do show that the Victorians took care and pride when designing and constructing their utilitarian buildings. These days a similar new pumping station would be nothing more than a concrete box....

All the best
                              Andrew

Comment

• Hi Silverstealth,

Great photos. Do you mind if I ask what camera you are using. The colors and detail are excellent.

Hi Rob C,

More excellent photos. This is my favorite thread, and East london in the late 19th early 20th century is just so atmospheric, and beautiful. What I wouldnt give to be able to walk down streets like the one in this shot of Orchard Place Poplar. No movie could ever recreate it.

Rob H

Comment

Working...
                                X