Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A small extract from a much larger photograph of Whitechapel station taken from the air showing the area along Durward Street, June 1965.

Click image for larger version

Name:	durward street 1965.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	657007

All the best
    Andrew

Comment

• Hi Andrew
      Great pic there-
      I would imagine that Barber's Yard would be where that 'X' marks the spot between 'Bucks Row' Durward St and Winthrop St just behind-ish the Board School? Yes??

Suzi x

Have done a crop here and going to have to post on Forums under Suzi Individual Forums
      Last edited by Suzi; 05-25-2009, 06:16 PM.
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Hi The site of Annie Chapmans murder as many of you know is now occupied by the former Trumans brewerey. A market and numereous food outlets ranging from Tibetan to Afro Carribean can be found occupying the site most Sundays. Here is a selection of the food outlets, to get your taste buds going should you choose to visit the site.

Name:	market 1 irfan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	657015

Name:	market 2 irfan.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	657016

Name:	market 3 irfan.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	657017

ps the middle photo is a Mexican stall, and yes they were selling pork products.

all the best

Observer
        Last edited by Observer; 05-26-2009, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Here are three more, as you can see the eating arrangments are a bit basic

Name:	market 4 irfan.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	657018

Name:	market 5 irfan.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	657019

Name:	market 6 irfan.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	657020

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Some great shots there Observer! It's always nice to see a familiar location in unfamiliar circumstances.

I clearly chose to visit the old brewery building on the wrong day, (last Wednesday) when it looked like this....

Name:	0509i.jpg
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	657022

No contest really is it? Give me a colourful food stall any day!

All the best
            Andrew

Comment

• Thanks Andrew, however I would have prefered to visit the site in it's empty state as you have above, my aim being to photograph the Chapman murder site. The Sunday I visited, there was a lady selling prints right on the spot of the site. When I told her where she was standing she didn't believe me at first, but then as she realised that I was telling the truth she was fascinated.

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Hi Andrew, here is the shot I took of where I calculated the site to be, bit of a pointless exercise really as there are no accompanying areas in the shot to pinpoint the area

Name:	market 7 irfan.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	657023

all the best

Observer
                Last edited by Observer; 05-26-2009, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Oh I don't know, I recognise that bit of concrete in your picture....

Seriously though, even empty it's not the easiest of sites in which to pinpoint the spot where Annie Chapman was found. Which leads me to wonder if Colin Roberts ever did one of his excellent "ground level" photos marking the exact spot? If memory serves, I know he did some Google Earth/Ordnance Survey overlays of the street, and some pictures where he overlaid the photos of number 29 onto modern day views, but were there any inside the brewery itself?

I was playing around with Photoshop a while back and came up with this, but again, it's from the street....

Name:	Hanbury Street photocomposite.jpg
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	657024

All the best
                  Andrew

Comment

• Annie would have liked it

Hi, Observer; thanks for the unique perspective your new photos bring.

I feel it's actually quite a good 'use' of an historic site connected with a century-old tragedy to turn it into a simple & congenial public place where people can sit shoulder-to-shoulder sharing a warm meal... I think Annie would have liked it!

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• Andrew, that's a terrific bit of work there. It made me do a double take, it fits so well!

Comment

• Hi Andrew

Nice image

I'm not aware of any overlays that have been carried out depicting the Truman building / back yard of 29 Hanbury street, I'd love to see such an image.

Hi Archaic, I'm sure she would have, it is certainly a very lively venue come Sundays.

all the best

Observer

Comment

• There you go Andrew a job for you, have a go yourself.

all the best

Observer

Comment

• I was thinking along the same lines myself, but I'd need to revisit the brewery building, preferably when empty of cars (and market stalls!), and would need to take copies of the pictures of the back yard with me.

Another problem would be that the ground level of the back yard was below the current level of the floor of the brewery building. A photomontage might be difficult!

In the meantime, here's the another photomontage of Berner Street. It's strange that when the familiar 1909 picture is superimposed on the modern view, it seems to make it more 3D than in the original image, despite being in black and white. The location of the IWM may be out by a few feet either way, but for some reason, it really jumps out at you...

Name:	Berner Street montage.jpg
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	657025

All the best
                            Andrew

Comment

• Another excellent image Andrew, I love those overlays, next time I'm down that way I'll take a copy of your image if you don't mind.

all the best

Observer

Comment

• No problem at all Observer!

Here's William Whiffin's image of Mitre Square superimposed on to a modern day photograph....

Name:	mitre square montage.jpg
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	657026

All the best
                                Andrew

Comment

Working...
                                X