Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice ones John- D'ya know I never realised that the Wright Brothers started in such a grand way in Aldgate High Street!!! Love that 'hands on hips' copper too!!!!

Love the 'Suit Event' in the 'Exchange'!!! Praps we should re-enact that with JPdL as a model!!!

LOL...London's Finest Clothing!!!! Bless.....
    Last edited by Suzi; 05-16-2009, 12:05 PM.
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• J a thought, but could Emma have been initially assaulted at the SW corner, then hobbled a few yards north, to be found outside no10 Brick Lane? as I imagine peritoneal trauma is fairly painful. Perhaps she was a bit tipsy also. Maybe anyone who saw her in those few minutes thought she was drunk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
        Nice ones John- D'ya know I never realised that the Wright Brothers started in such a grand way in Aldgate High Street!!!
        You're telling me! Mind you, I can't for the life of me see how they managed to get any planes to take off.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Went to see William Gulls house in Mayfair today - no pictures though as its being renovated, strange that there was no blue plaque - is there normally?

Comment

• Wentworth Street in the year 1974

Click image for larger version

Name:	95wentworth1974.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	656958

Comment

• Window Shopping

Hi, Paddy Goose; I enjoyed going ''window-shopping'' in that photograph! Was it really taken so late as 1974?

I can see that it says 'Hotelware' above, & besides the Teapot & the sets of metal Cordials on display, I see a Smoking-Stand sticking up in the back. What surprises me is that it's the same design which was popular all through the 30's, 40's, & 50's - a weighted metal stand w/ 'trap door' on top for ashes. (Oh, well, ''why improve on perfection,'' I guess!)
              I like the proud shop-owner, too. -Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• Gunthorpe St

A couple of photos taken last Saturday evening just before starting our JTR tour around Whitechapel.
                First, The White Hart pub and Gunthorpe St, next, the alleyway entrance of Gunthorpe St (with a bit of artistic input for atmosphere).

Steve
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by sgh View Post
                  A couple of photos taken last Saturday evening just before starting our JTR tour around Whitechapel.
                  First, The White Hart pub and Gunthorpe St, next, the alleyway entrance of Gunthorpe St (with a bit of artistic input for atmosphere).

Steve
                  Nice photos Steve.Whats the map type board on the left wall of the alley about?

Comment

• Nice photos! May I ask what camera your using? Also - what the pub like? Not been in there yet.....

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
                      Nice photos! May I ask what camera your using? Also - what the pub like? Not been in there yet.....

Adam,
                      Didn't go in the pub - no time I'm afraid!
                      Camera - Canon 5D DSLR with 24-105mm IS 'L' series lens.

Warspite,
                      The sign is a Gunthorpe St 'You Are Here' map.

Many Thanks to both of you.

Best,
                      Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by sgh View Post
                        Adam,
                        Didn't go in the pub - no time I'm afraid!
                        Camera - Canon 5D DSLR with 24-105mm IS 'L' series lens.

Warspite,
                        The sign is a Gunthorpe St 'You Are Here' map.

Many Thanks to both of you.

Best,
                        Steve
                        Small world! I just bought a 24-105 L lens also - couldnt quite afford the 5d MII though - got the 50D body instead, still seems pretty nice - anyway nice shots! Look forward to more!

Comment

• Hi Steve

I'm a bit of a photographer myself and may I say that those two pictures of Gunthorpe Street in Post #1705 were more than a little bit special. More, please.
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• The Gunthorpe St. Portal...

Sgh, cool photos!

The Alleyway entrance to Gunthorpe St. looks like the proverbial 'Time Tunnel'- a dark & mystic portal to God knows what!

Thanks for sharing them. Archaic

Comment

• Interesting clipping from the East London Advertiser, 5th July 1985.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	ELA Woods.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	656969

It didn't sell, by the way.

JB

Comment

• John -

Brian Ford looks quite young for someone whose grandfather had opened a shop 190 years before, don't you think?

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X