Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did PC Long see the Ripper in Goulston Street?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerryd View Post

Actually Simon and Michael, I believe it you look at the beat of PC Allen and PC Andrews on the night of Claypipe Alice's murder, you can get an idea. The two men split the beat that night. Allen to the eastern half and Andrews, the western half. This beat went as far as Middlesex Street to the west, which is actually the boundary of the City and Met police beats. (I believe the west side of Middlesex Street was patrolled by the City and the east side by the Met)

Lloyds Weekly, July 21, 1889 gives a bit of info on the streets as well as other press inquest reports. Interestingly, during that time anyways, Goulston Street appears to have been traveled in two halves. Andrews states he traveled from Newcastle Street into Whitechapel High, west to Goulston. Half way up Goulston and down the other side back to Whitechapel High Street. I believe the top half (Goulston) was done after Andrews exited the north end of Castle Street and headed west on Wentworth Street to Goulston Street. That's the best I can piece together from the accounts I have available.

Not sure if that helps or not. Monty also has the route that was used for that beat, IIRC, from 1930 or so.
    Thats helpful jd, thanks. Ill add that its good to see and chat with you bud, stay safe and well.
    Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Varqm View Post
      Willie Bettles
      Appointed:Nov 14 1887
      Resigned:7-14-13..I'm assuming 1913

It' is unusual that the Dorset St. patrolling officer was not in the Kelly inquest,probably drafted to the Lord Mayor's show or no patrols in the early morning.Same with the Hanbury St. patrolling officer during Chapman's case.The rest of the C5 had one.

I'm looking for the Sgt Bradshaw in the Kelly case,

"She was in the habit of going nightly to a publichouse at Fish-street-hill; but Sergeant
      Bradshaw, on making inquiry at the house in question, found that she had not been there for upwards of a month
      past."
      Times (London)
      Monday, November 12, 1888.

I can only find one Sgt. Bradshaw,in the Met,but from Hampstead division.The Bradshaw in the H division was a PC.Maybe a temp/draftee for the ripper months.No list exist of PC's temporarily drafted to H division,but maybe there was.
      Hi Varqm.

I believe it is the same Sgt. Bradshaw that was investigating William Wallace Brodie during the McKenzie murder. Sergeant Eugene Bradshaw, K Division, Stepney.

Comment

Hi All,

I found this on Casebook -

Out of interest here are the details for PC Bettles

1881:
        Stoke Doyle, Northamptonshire
        Head: William Bettles aged 43 - Horse keeper
        Wife: Ann Bettles aged 41
        Children:
        George E aged 15 - Agricultural labourer
        Willie aged 13 - Agricultural labourer
        Oliver C aged 11
        Walter aged 9
        Ernest aged 5
        Fred aged 1
        Herbert aged 1
        All born in Stoke Doyle

1891:
        District Police Section House. St Anne, London
        Lodger:
        Willie Bettles aged 23 born Stoke Doyle, Northants - Police Constable Metropolitan - Single

1901:
        154 Malmesbury Road, Stratford, Bow
        Head: Willie Bettles aged 33 born Northants - Police Sergeant
        Wife: Mary A Bettles aged 34 born Offord D'Arcy, Hants
        Children:
        Percy aged 7 born Oundle, Northants
        Dorothy aged 6 born Westminster
        Elsie aged 4 born Westminster
        Herbert aged 2 born Bromley by Bow

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

More on Bettles, from the National Archives -

MEPO 4/344/100

Willie Bettles, warrant number 72919. Joined on 14 Nov 1887, and left on 7 April 1913. Last posted to V Division as a Station PS.
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post

Hi Varqm.

I believe it is the same Sgt. Bradshaw that was investigating William Wallace Brodie during the McKenzie murder. Sergeant Eugene Bradshaw, K Division, Stepney.

Hi Jerry,

Ok.Thanks. The one I had was Sgt. William Bradshaw and H Div. PC John Bradshaw.
            This Eugene Bradshaw warrant no. 65836 joined: July 11 1881 dismissed: 7/31/1896
            Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
            M. Pacana

Comment

Working...
            X