Did he have anatomical knowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
    A fisher gutter is an interesting theory. Errata is always sharp as a razor. A fish gutter might frequently be around the embankment where liz Jackson was staying, and could also be around the thames to dump body parts?
    Thanks I try

But a fishmonger could set up shop just about anywhere. And fishmongers also break down fish.

It's a more delicate process that butchering, which could account for his fine knife work around the uterus and in the initial abdominal cut. It might also account for the clumsiness in the cuts on the victims because fishmongers have flexible knives. He was very used to knife work. His technique was apparently great. But it's like he didn't know how to use the knives he had and made odd mistakes. He kept hitting bones like he though the knife would slide under or around, which a filleting knife certainly would. But a dagger doesn't. Right technique, wrong knife. Like he was used to something a little different.
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• I guess this begs the question, what other jobs/trades at the time would have provided one with regular experience in using a knife? (outside of surgeons or butchers)

Comment

• You may be dead on with the fish salesman: "The right thigh was also found the same day in the garden of Sir Percy Shelley's Chelsea house, which was being rented out to another occupier at the time. It was very much decomposed and wrapped in some more portions of the now familiar Ulster coat as well as what appeared to be the coarse fabric pocket of an apron, similar to those used by meat or fish salesman or costermongers.
        " from liz Jackson casebook page

Comment

Someone with medical knowledge is the first logical deduction...but when are doctors/surgeons ever accustomed to working with speed?
          On the battlefield.
          Some of the fastest surgeons came out of the American Civil War, but I take this as only one example. Any war would suffice, and Britain had no shortage of foreign conflicts in the 19th century.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Someone with medical knowledge is the first logical deduction...but when are doctors/surgeons ever accustomed to working with speed? DRs work slow, cautious with careful precision, in good lighting, at a slow pace. The ripper was clearly used to working incredibly fast, he's all about speed. Could a doctor really work that fast?
            Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            On the battlefield.
            Some of the fastest surgeons came out of the American Civil War, but I take this as only one example. Any war would suffice, and Britain had no shortage of foreign conflicts in the 19th century.
            In fact some surgeons used to brag about how quickly they were able to perform certain surgeries, amputations, appendectomies and cesareans are three that I know I have read accounts of.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              On the battlefield.
              That's a good point Wickerman I hadnt thought of it. and if you don't have time for a propery surgery... dismember dismember dismember

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                On the battlefield.
                The only trick with a medic is that it would have to be one that had practiced in the previous 3-5 years. You lose muscle memory in a year, and after three years all habitual reactions and skill knowledge go. Within 5 years you are back to laying open your own palm, or punching yourself in the face trying to dislodge a knife from bone.

Leatherwork is a possibility.

Comment

• Well, of course John Pizer was supposedly a boot finisher and slipper maker, who was used to working with knives.

Comment

• short

Hello Rosella. That's true, but Dr. Phillips pronounced knives used in that trade too short.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• Yes, Pizer is no suspect. On the other hand, Dr Bond believed JTR's knife to be about six inches long, pointed at the top, very sharp, and about an inch in width. Would a slaughterman, for instance, have had that sort of knife or use a longer stronger one?

Comment

• The name's Bond, Thomas Bond.

Hello Rosella. Thanks.

Presumably, Dr. Bond would have referred to "MJK." He did not see the other women.

Personally, if the knives are described as "different," it is simply grist for my mill.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                          Hello Rosella. That's true, but Dr. Phillips pronounced knives used in that trade too short.

Cheers.
                          LC
                          Sure, but where a person becomes proficient with knives and what knives they use are two separate issues.

I have extremely sharp knife skills (sorry. couldn't help it) because I use them for hours every day. But I almost never work with an edge longer than two inches. I can, and have on many occasions used ridiculously long knives to do something in a pinch. I can carve with the tip of a chef's knife if I have to. But you will know it's a knife I'm not used to by the fact that I only use the tip of the knife. And there might be some marring on the surface because I don't have as much control as I'm used to. Which I think these bodies show signs of. But one thing there apparently is not are signs that the weight of the knife used was unfamiliar.

And I think Phillips was WAY off on the knife size. I think he applied the rule of thumb used when both parties are standing and applied it to a horizontal crime. Which doesn't really work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Errata View Post
                            Sure, but where a person becomes proficient with knives and what knives they use are two separate issues.

I have extremely sharp knife skills (sorry. couldn't help it) because I use them for hours every day. But I almost never work with an edge longer than two inches. I can, and have on many occasions used ridiculously long knives to do something in a pinch. I can carve with the tip of a chef's knife if I have to. But you will know it's a knife I'm not used to by the fact that I only use the tip of the knife. And there might be some marring on the surface because I don't have as much control as I'm used to. Which I think these bodies show signs of. But one thing there apparently is not are signs that the weight of the knife used was unfamiliar.

And I think Phillips was WAY off on the knife size. I think he applied the rule of thumb used when both parties are standing and applied it to a horizontal crime. Which doesn't really work.
                            In your opinion what did the knife Jack use look like and what would have been the actual purpose for such a blade at the time?

Comment

• pointed remark

Hello Errata. Thanks.

OK, I get the point. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Originally posted by gnote View Post
                                In your opinion what did the knife Jack use look like and what would have been the actual purpose for such a blade at the time?
                                Yes, Errata, as a person who uses knives a lot please give us your opinion.

I agree that a person's job wouldn't necessarily correlate to the sort of knife carried around away from work, either to harm others or for personal protection. Nevertheless, the speed at which Jack worked does suggest he followed a trade in which knives were used daily.

Comment

Working...
                                X