Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrankO View Post
    Hi Eten,

I've always wondered if the woman in the article below from the Lloyd's Weekly News of 30 September was such a victim...

"Last night a correspondent furnished us with another strange story of an incident occurring early on Thursday morning, near to the scene of the four murders. He states that early in the morning a woman was sitting sleeping on some steps in one of the houses in Dorset-street, when she was awoke by a man who asked her whether she had any bed to go to, or any money to pay for a lodging. She replied that she had not, upon which he said he had money, and then gave her what she thought was two half-sovereigns. She went with him down a passage, and when there he seized her by the throat and tried to strangle her. A scuffle ensued between them, in which she screamed and got away. The next morning she found that what he gave her was two farthings machined round the edge like gold coins. She described him as being a man with a dark moustache, and dressed in a rough frieze blue overcoat."

Not that it helps us a lot in the sense of a useful physical descriprion of the attacker, but it's interesting that the attack took place only 3 days before "the double event" and might fit with how the Ripper went to work.

Cheers,
    Frank
    Hi Frank

Good find - this is exactly the type of attack that might be a failed attempt. The report is tantalising and it is a shame there is not more detail - but there may be more to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Dear oh dear, miscalculated again - I think I doubled originally when I should have halved. Two half-sovereigns is worth one pound=240 pennies=two months doss. Which is still sixty times what I understand was the going rate of 4d.
      No worries, Joshua. The original gist is still there: it would have been an extraordinary lot of money - if she didn't make the sovereigns up, that is!
      Last edited by FrankO; 08-13-2021, 08:37 AM.
      "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
      Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Hi Frank

Good find - this is exactly the type of attack that might be a failed attempt. The report is tantalising and it is a shame there is not more detail - but there may be more to be found.
        Yes, Eten, hopefully one of us will be able to find more!

Cheers,
        Frank
        "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
        Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8B2726AD-2C4C-482A-AD2D-4DD72E01613A.jpeg
Views:	484
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	765619 I can’t find anything else at all relating to the incident on the Thursday before the double event.
          this is the most similar report I could find which happened on the Wednesday before.

Comment

I have a recollection of a kooky doctor who was found with a prostitute on the night of the double event. Does anyone remember who I’m talking about?

Comment

The Brixton Doctor, Frederick Chapman ("Dr. Merchant"), possibly PC Robert Spicer's suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                The Brixton Doctor, Frederick Chapman ("Dr. Merchant"), possibly PC Robert Spicer's suspect.
                Thanks, Scott. That's the one!

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post

Thanks, Scott. That's the one!
                  I always wondered about this guy. He suffered from a malady that could have been caused by a sexually transmitted disease. Died in December and buried without ceremony in a paupers grave by his wife, who went on to work in an asylum afterwards. But he couldn't have been Spicer's man because he stated in an interview that he saw this guy again, but it couldn't have been Chapman, since he was already dead.
                  Last edited by SuspectZero; 08-28-2021, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Really interesting stuff! If this attacker was him, it reveals quite a bit about the Ripper's MO. Select victim (obviously drunk unfortunate), establish if they have a private residence, make an offer of wealth they could hardly refuse, allow them to lead him to a secluded place and attempt strangulation to quickly silence her. The offer of such a high rate would probably ensure the victim would a) be very compliant and b) not risk drawing attention, as robbery (possibly even amongst unfortunates) was a very real issue. He probably even re-used the same modified coins on each lady, and simply reclaimed them after the kill.

Comment

Working...
                    X