The victim that survived a JtR attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The victim that survived a JtR attack

The Yorkshire ripper murdered 13 women in the late 1970s. In addition, 7 women survived an attack by him, although there was not always a connection made between the survivors' attacks and the murders until some time later.

I cannot imagine there is much new in the search for more information about the JtR murders, but I have not been able to locate any information about research into any attacks that occurred during that period where the woman survived but there is reason to think her attacker may have been JtR. Such research would be extremely difficult and would need to contend with many challenges - not least that attacks may not have been officially reported. Also, we can only speculate how JtR approached his victims, though there is good reason to believe he posed as a punter and he and his victim went to a 'safe' place for business.

I wondered whether there was a victim who survived JtR and whether anyone has searched for her to learn her story and what it has to tell us.

Originally posted by etenguy View Post
    The Yorkshire ripper murdered 13 women in the late 1970s. In addition, 7 women survived an attack by him, although there was not always a connection made between the survivors' attacks and the murders until some time later.

I cannot imagine there is much new in the search for more information about the JtR murders, but I have not been able to locate any information about research into any attacks that occurred during that period where the woman survived but there is reason to think her attacker may have been JtR. Such research would be extremely difficult and would need to contend with many challenges - not least that attacks may not have been officially reported. Also, we can only speculate how JtR approached his victims, though there is good reason to believe he posed as a punter and he and his victim went to a 'safe' place for business.

I wondered whether there was a victim who survived JtR and whether anyone has searched for her to learn her story and what it has to tell us.
    Are you talking about someone like Ada Wilson?
    The description of the man who attacked her bares some resemblance to later Ripper suspects.

I do agree, we have no reason to suppose the canonical victims represent the only times he went out on the hunt.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

i beleive millwood was a victim who survived a ripper attack

Comment

Annie Farmer claimed she was attacked by Jack in a lodging house in November '88, although the police were skeptical.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
          Annie Farmer claimed she was attacked by Jack in a lodging house in November '88, although the police were skeptical.
          I need to look up her story, but sceptical if Annie claimed it was JtR rather than the police identifying the possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

i beleive millwood was a victim who survived a ripper attack
            I can understand why, especially if you believe Martha Tabram was a ripper victim. Certainly worth knowing more about her attack.

Comment

I need to look up her story, but sceptical if Annie claimed it was JtR rather than the police identifying the possibility.
              Yes, Debs once said something about her attacker being her husband, or 'significant other', someone who had been in the army.
              I shouldn't give specifics it was a long time ago.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Are you talking about someone like Ada Wilson?
                The description of the man who attacked her bares some resemblance to later Ripper suspects.

I do agree, we have no reason to suppose the canonical victims represent the only times he went out on the hunt.
                Hi Wickerman - basically yes, though her attack seems to be motivated by theft which I think points towards a different attacker.

I thought October 1888 would be a good time to look - no ripper murders that month and would be in the middle of the ripper murder streak - perhaps he tried but failed. Also, if there was a failed attack then, he would likely have been following the pattern of attack associated with him which might make a link with him slightly more straight-forward.

Of the three women mentioned on this thread so far - I think Millwood is the most interesting - though it would be difficult to establish since it would mean first establishing that Tabram was a ripper victim and establishing a progression in JtR's method of attack. There are threads on this site where that is heavily contested.

Comment

Yes, Debs once said something about her attacker being her husband, or 'significant other', someone who had been in the army.
                  I shouldn't give specifics it was a long time ago.
                  Dammit, there's too many Annie's in this mystery, Debs might have been talking about Annie Millwood not Annie Farmer.
                  Sorry just forget I said anything.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Dammit, there's too many Annie's in this mystery, Debs might have been talking about Annie Millwood not Annie Farmer.
                    Thanks Wickerman

I suspect that any of the woman attacked and who survived that we already know about have been researched and no strong support for them being attacked by the ripper has been identified. But also, any attacks that might be worth investigating may have already been sought and not found. But it may be worth a trawl through the October 1888 newspapers to see if any of interest were reported - though in all likelihood the papers would have made the connection and we would know about them already.

Comment

Hi Wickerman - basically yes, though her attack seems to be motivated by theft which I think points towards a different attacker.

I thought October 1888 would be a good time to look - no ripper murders that month and would be in the middle of the ripper murder streak - perhaps he tried but failed. Also, if there was a failed attack then, he would likely have been following the pattern of attack associated with him which might make a link with him slightly more straight-forward.

Of the three women mentioned on this thread so far - I think Millwood is the most interesting - though it would be difficult to establish since it would mean first establishing that Tabram was a ripper victim and establishing a progression in JtR's method of attack. There are threads on this site where that is heavily contested.
                      Yes, I seem to recall a witness Bierman who said Wilson's story didn't quite fit, that Bierman thought Wilson had been entertaining the man when she was attacked, that it wasn't a theft.
                      Here, I found what I mean..
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Yes, It's certainly complicated, Jon. But to chuck it all in here, yes, it was Annie Annie Millwood's husband who was said to be a soldier. I was mainly interested in the Farmer attack because the press widely reported, rightly or wrongly, it as an attempt by JTR and one of the main eye witnesses to the escaping attacker was a Jewish man who gave a full description of the perpetrator.
                        In the past, I also made a tentative ID of Ada Wilson as a seasoned criminal,based on research around a new workhouse record I found for her this was in contrast to Mark Ripper's identification, detailed in the Ripperologist article Doubly Unfortunate Ripperologist 125: April 2012
                        of her as a woman who had previously had her throat cut by her husband and survived.
                        Last edited by Debra A; 08-06-2021, 10:24 PM.

Comment

If the term "survived" is extended to include "avoided" then perhaps Sarah Lewis and the Bethnal Green Botherer could be included?

Cheers, George
                          They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
                          Out of a misty dream
                          Our path emerges for a while, then closes
                          Within a dream.
                          Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

In chapters 3-4 of Ripper Confidential, Tom Wescott argues that a woman named Margaret Millous may have been attacked by the Ripper the night before Nichols and survived. I vaguely recall reading a convincing rebuttal of those claims on this forum, but the claim is out there in the literature.

Comment

It's pure speculation of course, but I have always thought that JTR must have made some aborted attempts, perhaps picking up prostitutes, then failing to ....... errrmm.......see the transaction through to it's natural conclusion.

I would have been interested to know if the Whitechapel unfortunates had ever experienced any clients who engaged their services and then "bottled it" for whatever reason.

Obviously this would not be recorded anywhere and is impossible to verify, but it is a line of questioning which I'd have followed if I was an investigating officer at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X