How many victims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Well, that's fine. I read the heart missing from the body, it's absence of being listed in the room (and it's a major self isolated organ which would be noted, while the gall bladder and pancreas, despite their critical functions are smaller and likely attached to other organs), as indicating it was not in the room. Also, there are press reports that tell us it was eventually determined that something was indeed missing (despite earlier reports to the contrary), and even one that specifically tells us the heart was missing. I'm not sure I would call that jumping to conclusions, but our criterions could be different.

- Jeff
    The gall bladder is larger than the heart I believe, also Bond noted

"In the abdominal cavity was some partially digested food of fish & potatoes & similar food was found in the remains of the stomach attached to the intestines."

He noted that the stomach was attached to the intestines, but failed to say that the gall bladder was attached to the liver, as you suggested. What I'm saying is it was a bloody disjointed mess, and Bond did not think it necessary to describe where every internal organ ended up. He was merely trying to convey the barbaric dismantling of the body. Just because he did not reveal the whereabouts of the heart in the room, it doesn't follow that it was absent.

Comment

The police of 1888 were very tight lipped, and were not happy with the medical testimony being given at the previous inquests. They were much happier with the more limited inquest for Kelly. They were more likely to withhold the information that the heart was missing than to put out fake information (i.e. to say it was when it wasn't), and can't think of another example where we know they did that. There's nothing in the police files, or communication with HO, to suggest they engaged in such deception, though there is mention of their desire not to release information.

- Jeff
      I was thinking along the lines of a double bluff, that is suggesting it was missing when in fact it was not.

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post

I was thinking along the lines of a double bluff, that is suggesting it was missing when in fact it was not.
        I was thinking you should quit while your ahead (actually a more accurate phrase would be-cut your losses).

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

I was thinking you should quit while your ahead (actually a more accurate phrase would be-cut your losses).
          I was thinking I'll respond to whoever I want in this thread, and at any time without your recommendations

Comment

That's getting rather complicated, and unless you can show this was common practice at the time, then it's unsupported. Possible doesn't equal probable, and a hypothesis is only as good as the evidence that supports it. When the hypothesis is about making evidence "go away", for lack of a better phrase, it needs to be very well supported. At the moment, apart from Reid's statements that were made many years after the fact, all of the contemporary sources point more towards the heart having been taken away than not.

Trevor doesn't believe that, as is his right, and you're not obliged to either. But that doesn't change the fact that there is far more than "zero evidence" with regards to the heart having been taken, and even more if one relaxes our statement to simply "some portion of organs were taken."

- Jeff

Comment

That's getting rather complicated, and unless you can show this was common practice at the time, then it's unsupported. .
              That doesn't wash does it? The police after the Kelly murder were desperate to apprehend the killer. If someone had suggested to Abberline at the time should he show his backside on the Mansion House steps then he would secure a conviction, he'd have done it in a flash. Pun intended.

Comment

Trevor doesn't believe that, as is his right, and you're not obliged to either. .
                Indeed I don't. I think you'll agree that there's nothing more to add

Comment

That doesn't wash does it? The police after the Kelly murder were desperate to apprehend the killer. If someone had suggested to Abberline at the time should he show his backside on the Mansion House steps then he would secure a conviction, he'd have done it in a flash. Pun intended.
                  What doesn't wash? Do you mean when I say that idea is too complicated and requires lots of evidence to support it? But that's how hypothesis testing works, the more complicated the hypothesis the more support you need for it. The complexity of the notion of a "double bluff" (the police releasing false information - organs missing - , after having said the true state - nothing missing -, simply to weed out false confessions, which they were not overwhelmed by though there were a few I think, is a pretty complicated set of ideas to suggest might have been the case. So, to evaluate that suggestion we need to look at the evidence you have to support it (i.e. if you could show the police often did this sort of thing, then you could argue it was "standard procedure", but the problem is it wasn't done). The police were desperate to solve the case, but they were frustrated by the fact that this was not a typical case where there was a known connection between a victim and their killer. They were trying to get information from the public, and there was some belief that JtR might be known (or at least suspected) by his family or friends. The police were trying to encourage people to report their suspicions, and were of the belief that they would get such information using their tried and true methods (door knocking and questioning the public for information and patrolling the area with more beat cops).

Anyway, they didn't resort to mental chess games like a double bluff that you suggest as far as I can tell from my reading of their actions and behaviours.

- Jeff

Comment

Indeed I don't. I think you'll agree that there's nothing more to add
                    That's fair enough. We're each free to draw our own conclusions. Doesn't mean any of us are right though.

- Jeff

Comment

Anyway, they didn't resort to mental chess games like a double bluff that you suggest as far as I can tell from my reading of their actions and behaviours.

- Jeff
                      According to your readings being the operative phrase.

Comment

That's fair enough. We're each free to draw our own conclusions. Doesn't mean any of us are right though.

- Jeff
                        Indeed not. I would only add that it's somewhat odd that considering the fixation with the female organs of generation, the killer of Chapman and Eddowes displayed, the killer of Kelly only took away her heart. Of course, who knows the workings of a mind as twisted as that of the Whitechapel murderer?
                        Last edited by Observer; 02-16-2021, 04:51 PM.

Comment

According to your readings being the operative phrase.
                          If you wish. I would be interested in what behaviours and/or writings between the police and Home Office leads you to believe they did utilize such complicated mental gymnastics. So far it's coming across as something you've just thought up as something they might have done rather than as something you've seen evidence of them actually doing. If you've got some basis for your ideas then feel free to present it. If it's just an idea you thought of, that's fine too as it gives you a question to ask of the the source material. If you find something that you think fits, you can present it when you find it. Sharing of ideas also involves sharing of the evidence that our ideas are based upon.

- Jeff

Comment

Indeed not. I would only add that it's somewhat odd that considering the fixation with the female organs of generation, the killer of Chapman and Eddowes displayed, the killer of Kelly only took away her heart. Of course, who knows the workings of a mind as twisted as that of the Whitechapel murderer?
                            Indeed. It would suggest, though, that Baxter's idea of selling uterii was not the motive. What exactly JtR's motive was for taking organs will probably never really be known, given it was likely something twisted in his own personal world view. Other serial killers who have taken body parts have generally been necrophiliacs and get an erotic rush out of possessing parts of their victims (Dahmer, Bundy), and others have suffered schizophrenia (Chase, for example, who thought his blood was drying up and he needed to consume blood to replentish his). Pending on who JtR was, he could fall into either of those, or be different again of course. They're a weird bunch after all.

Anyway, we're drifting off topic now and probably should let the thread topic take over again.

- Jeff

Comment

If you wish. I would be interested in what behaviours and/or writings between the police and Home Office leads you to believe they did utilize such complicated mental gymnastics. So far it's coming across as something you've just thought up as something they might have done rather than as something you've seen evidence of them actually doing. If you've got some basis for your ideas then feel free to present it. If it's just an idea you thought of, that's fine too as it gives you a question to ask of the the source material. If you find something that you think fits, you can present it when you find it. Sharing of ideas also involves sharing of the evidence that our ideas are based upon.

- Jeff
                              We'll never know the whole story with regard to the investigation into the Whitechapel murderer. It would be foolish to draw conclusions on the known evidence, on the files available to us today. Much is lost. Modern police forces use the tactic which I described. The Yorkshire Ripper investigation comes to mind. Now, no I don't know if the police used that tactic in 1888, but it is possible. Let's just leave it there.
                              Last edited by Observer; 02-16-2021, 05:27 PM.

Comment

I would only add that it's somewhat odd that considering the fixation with the female organs of generation, the killer of Chapman and Eddowes displayed, the killer of Kelly only took away her heart. Of course, who knows the workings of a mind as twisted as that of the Whitechapel murderer?

You’re right of course to point out that it’s hard to figure a mind as horribly twisted and perverted as that of someone like the Ripper. Yet even so, a “heart” and a “womb” are not so far apart in terms of their symbolic meanings. The Ripper’s fixations didn’t have to be all about sex, but something broader and just as primal, which embraces sex along with other things. The womb admittedly is more explicitly sexual, but along with that, it stands for “love” and “motherhood” and the generation and nurturance of new life. The “heart” similarly stands for “love” and “warmth,” for promises of eternal commitment and the center of life itself.

If these values are stood on their head, in the sick mind of a man who believes (for whatever reason) that these promises of warmth, love, and nurturance from a woman--including his mother, quite probably--or women in general--have been betrayed, that he's been met with cold rejection all his life, and if he’s full of insane hatred in consequence, it’s quite comprehensible that he might rip these organs out of a woman’s body in a fit of rage as “things” needing to be “exposed” as “having no meaning” (in his mind) despite what they promised. It’s rather like the “Emperor who had no clothes,” if you get my meaning. I’ve never heard, but I’d be interested to know, what Sigmund Freud had to say (if anything) about the Ripper murders. He was 32 years old when they happened. Freud would have had a field day interpreting a mind like the Ripper’s, and speculating about his relationship with his mother!

At any rate, my point is that a “heart” and a “womb” are very close together in terms of their symbolic meaning. Even more so than the brain, which is the true seat of thought, feeling, and motivation. Last Sunday being Valentine’s Day, lots of people send cards to one another saying “Darling, I give you my heart.” Despite the function of the brain, nobody says “Darling, I give you my brain,” and if they did, I’m sure the recipient would be left feeling cold! Nobody says ”I give you my womb” either--not in so many words!--but just as people say things like ”I open up my heart to you,” plenty of words imply more circumspectly that ”I will open up my womb to you, and let us make new life together.”

In view of this shared primal symbolism, the horribly perverted man (whose values were turned upside down) who could cut out a woman’s womb and take it away is in my mind the same man who could cut out her heart and take it away, for exactly the same reason.

The only thing that puzzles me is “why a kidney as well”? Why a kidney, indeed? What on earth is the significance of a kidney? Maybe he just put his hand on it along with all the other stuff, and figured ”I might as well take this as well!” As you said, ”who can figure the workings of a mind as twisted as that?”
                                Last edited by Gordon; 02-17-2021, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X