Patterns formed by murder locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello Rivkah. Thanks. I saw a few minutes once. Some lass was applying nail varnish. She got a telephone call, pushed some buttons on a computer and it was case closed.

What rot!

Cheers.
    LC
    Are you sure that wasn't Criminal Minds? For all Raven might like it, and it works well as a horror series (personally I love it, I really do, but sometimes for the wrong reasons), I don't think much of it as a police procedural. It's a grown-up Saturday morning cartoon, with a braniac, a cyborg, a super-guy, wonder woman, computer genius/talking computer. It could be Clue Club, or Superfriends, grown up, and getting jobs with paychecks, but sticking together.
    Originally posted by RavenDarkendale View Post
    Try Criminal Minds. At least they actually studied profiling techniques before writing the show, and had a former FBI Profiler as a consultant. Also they reference known serial killers all the time.
    It's so overdone and melodramatic. Every show has a required line condemning the media for giving serial killers nicknames, because they're not heros. One character even said something like "We don't do this for entertainment." I know it was supposed to be funny, but it struck me as a sad irony.

Also, here is the FBI website's faq page on the job "Special Agent." Scroll down to #17, where it explains that there is no such job as "profiler." Also, the Behavior Analysis Unit isn't like it is on TV at all (it mostly does counter-terrorism, ever since someone pointed out that we should have noticed it was odd that all those Arab non-citizens taking flying lessons didn't want to learn how to land the plane), although the FBI has been happy to encourage the show, because for once in US history, since the 1950s, people are liking the FBI. Historically, the agency has been hugely unpopular, and when agents weren't evil, they were buffoons. The first positive depiction I can think of was in Twin Peaks, and Agent Cooper was still a little weird. Mulder and Scully were heros, but because they were fighting for truth within a corrupt agency. This is the first squeaky clean FBI either ever, or in a really, really long time.

Comment

Lynn:

"No, that he moved outside the kill zone--whatever that was."

I canīt agree on that score. I donīt think the Ripper murders were to any extent murders committed out of the killerīs comfort zone. Which was why I entered the discussion on this thread in the first place.

But you had already figured that out, had you not?

The best,
      Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
        You realize I was totally kidding, right?
        I don't reject the Swedish research. I reject your application of it to the Ripper letters.The dyslexic students I worked with, and observed were not in self-contained classrooms with lower-functioning students.

The way special ed. works in the US is that slightly below average to bright students with specific disabilities that cause them to need extra tutoring, or extra time can spend time in a resource room. In high school "Resource" is a class they're assigned to, and it's a little like study hall (a class period for prepping or working on the next day's homework), except students get a grade for resource, and don't get a grade for study hall.

We have honors students in resource rooms. Some of them have minor hearing impairments, some of them have motor skills problems, some are dyslexic, some have Asperger's syndrome, some have ADD, some have chronic illnesses, and more than normal absences. Dyslexic students often take prepared portions of exams in resource, or they may have special exam prep. I remember one student who used to be able to study a list of vocabulary words that would be on an exam before he took it, but it was prepared in such a way that it didn't give away what the actual questions would be. A student with cerebral palsy might get a test given orally, if it's a Scan-tron multiple choice (fill in the circles) test, or he might be allow to type out answers on a keyboard.

On a regular day, dyslexic students would get help, depending on the degree of help they needed, in various forms, such as having a teacher go over a reading assignment with them, or receive prepared notes from their classes for the day (some kids with severe dyslexia qualified for a notetaker, and they'd be assigned to the same section of a class, when one than one was taking that class, so an aide could take notes, type them up, and photocopy them). Hearing impaired students would get notetakers as well.

In the earlier grades, a resource room was where a child with dyslexia would go just for his reading instruction, which was usually 1-1 or 1-2 teacher-student, and return to the regular classroom for the rest of the day. Depending on his individual plan, he might return to the resource teacher for extra tutoring after school, or during a reading-based class period like "social studies," but was otherwise just a regular student.

That's what I'm talking about, when I'm talking about dyslexic students in special ed. Now, there are also private schools just for students with dyslexia, but parents pay out of pocket for those, unless they can get their health insurance to pay for them.

We don't put bright students with specific learning disabilities, or physical disabilities in the self-contained classrooms with severely retarded kids. And we don't put those kids in with kids with behavior disturbances. (And no, "behavior disturbances" is not a euphemism for autism. In my experience, autistic kids who have never been institutionalized don't exhibit violent or disturbed behavior, unless they also have some other problem as well, like ODD, or ADHD, or have been in a lot of foster homes, or abused, although, then they do show them in spades, because they can't talk about what has happened to them, or the frustrations they're experiencing.)
        Dear Rifkah,

The most advanced techniques for helping dyslectics are useless if the condition is undiagnosed, therefore a list of specific pointers to dyslexia is essential. Among these are a tendency to "lose" the last letter of a word, as in "knif", and to misspell simple words, such as "wate", while remembering the k in knife and the w in whores, not something a ordinary poor speller would do. I have given full details of what I find points to dyslexia in the Dear Boss letter, the postcard, the From Hell letter and the "threatening letter" as opposed to the Openshaw letter in my previous post on this.

For the record, once again, I have never claimed to diagnose the writer of any of these letters as dyslectic, merely that there are pointers to this and that in my opinion the writer could well be dyslectic, thus giving an indication,. perhaps, of his state of mind, that is a strong need to prove himself cleverer than those around him. (see my original post on this).

Might I suggest that your rather "bullish" attitude could be a disadvantage on these message boards.The majority of posters are happy (on the whole) to accept that we all have our own ideas and agree to differ. It is allowed, you know. Posters put forward their ideas, with what supporting evidence they can muster and the ideas are discussed, at length or not. With the scarcity of hard evidence in this case, we are thrown back on our own various theories, and it would be exceedingly dull if everyone agreed with everyone else.

I do find the "treatments" you have put forward a little old-fashioned. To oversimplify, I prefer the older term for this condition," word-blindness" more appropriate - you wouldn't expect a blind person to read,from an ordinary book however many extra hours of support they are gven, and I believe that giving children (and adults) a way of living with their problem is a better way of dealing with it. Dyslectics here, if they so desire, may take their exams orally, for example.

We could argue this point until the proverbial cows come home and never agree, but I stand by my theory, as do you, no doubt, so perhaps we can agree to differ, without the necessity for one of us to have the last word. My post has nothing to do with the treatment of dyslexia, by the way.

Kind regards,
        C4

Comment

Saturday morning cartoon

Hello Rivkah. Thanks.

"It's a grown-up Saturday morning cartoon, with a braniac, a cyborg, a super-guy, wonder woman, computer genius/talking computer."

Are you referring to modern "Jack the Ripper" investigation here? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

go figure

Hello Christer. Thanks.

Well, I'd like to think I've figured MANY things out about these killings. Perhaps I flatter myself?

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Who am I to say, Lynn?

The best,
              Fisherman

Comment

Hello Rivkah. Thanks.

"It's a grown-up Saturday morning cartoon, with a braniac, a cyborg, a super-guy, wonder woman, computer genius/talking computer."

Are you referring to modern "Jack the Ripper" investigation here? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                LC
                No, I was referring to the show Criminal Minds, which as I said, I like, but sometimes for the wrong reasons. It gets very melodramatic, sometimes. Sometimes they have guest stars who are really campy (eg, Tim Curry), and I enjoy it, and some of the actors enter into the play, while the others don't, so there was probably tension on the set.

It does bug me that it has pretenses of being very accurate, but they still have thing like people with repressed memories, that come to the fore just in time to solve a crime, and that they have the same idiotic idea of a TV genius you see over and over from writers.

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                  It's a grown-up Saturday morning cartoon, with a braniac, a cyborg, a super-guy, wonder woman, computer genius/talking computer. It could be Clue Club, or Superfriends, grown up.

No such job as "profiler." Also, the Behavior Analysis Unit isn't like it is on TV at all (it mostly does counter-terrorism
                  Ouch! That crack about Saturday Morning Cartoons smarts!

John Douglas, author of The Cases that Haunt Us, might disagree about the "profiler" business. True, the BAU is usually about terrorism, but think how we get amber alerts when a child is missing or fugitives are on the loose. Regarded as "homeland security issues" are they not? Not all terrorists are from other countries, or threaten on a national or global basis. If a serial killer is in my area (which did happen some years ago!) I would be glad to know that every effort is being made to stop him or her, and it would terrorize my area to know that this "terrorist" was lose on our streets!

RD
                  And the questions always linger, no real answer in sight

Comment

comparison

Hello Rivkah. Thanks.

"No, I was referring to the show Criminal Minds . . ."

Yes, I know. I was pulling your leg a bit.

"It gets very melodramatic, sometimes."

Hmmm. So does ripperology. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Originally posted by RavenDarkendale View Post
                      John Douglas, author of The Cases that Haunt Us, might disagree about the "profiler" business.
                      I'm quoting directly from the FBI website when I say "there's no such job as 'profiler.'" It's probably in response to the number of inquiries they get from people who want to get hired as "profilers" who don't realize that 1) to work for the BAU, you have to be a regular agent first, satisfy all the regular agent requirements, and agent training, plus, have a certain number of years experience, and a recommendation; 2) people who work for the BAU do a lot besides provide profiles of unidentified criminals; and 3) they don't hire psychics. Putting "psychic" on your resume is a great way not to get hired.

Just because people provide profiles as part of their jobs doesn't mean that's an FBI job title. Profiling is a task, but calling a BAU agent a "profiler" is like calling a medical doctor a "prescriber." Even in just the limited area of investigating unidentified killers, BAU agents do what's called "victimology," a word that gets my mixed derivation knickers in a snit, but nevermind. And like I said, they do a lot of work in counter-terrorism. There's not really a brand new serial killer a week for them to go profile and catch. The US has a high murder rate, but we're not that bad.

Comment

Hello Rivkah. Thanks.

"No, I was referring to the show Criminal Minds . . ."

Yes, I know. I was pulling your leg a bit.

"It gets very melodramatic, sometimes."

Hmmm. So does ripperology. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                        LC
                        I know. I just wanted to go on about the show a little more. One major source of, umm, discussion, around the house here, is whether it's a good use of time to watch a TV show just to laugh at the bad science. My husband makes fun of me for watching Criminal Minds, and the CSIs, whose writers don't even understand the infection process, or how blood types are inherited (two parents with type-A blood can, in fact, have an O child), but the show he never misses is Dr. Who, which he insists is somehow more realistic, because it has internal consistency. He takes that show very, very seriously. We do not laugh at Dr. Who. I tried to make fun of the way he pronounces "dalek," because he didn't grow up watching British TV on PBS, and calls them "dialects," but it didn't go over well.

Comment

He takes that show very, very seriously. We do not laugh at Dr. Who. I tried to make fun of the way he pronounces "dalek," because he didn't grow up watching British TV on PBS, and calls them "dialects," but it didn't go over well.
                          Do they extoiminate people?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                            Do they extoiminate people?

All the best

Dave
                            What's a 3-L llama?

Comment

Presumably something hatched in the same nest as Daingerfield, the dove who says boo...

All the best

Dave

PS Presumably he arises like a phoenix from the ashes of your three-L Llama?
                              Last edited by Cogidubnus; 09-25-2012, 12:30 AM. Reason: punctuation corrected

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                                Presumably something hatched in the same nest as Daingerfield, the dove who says boo...

All the best

Dave

PS Presumably he arises like a phoenix from the ashes of your three-L Llama?
                                Actually, it's a big fire in Brooklyn.

They "extoiminate" people in Brooklyn, too, unless I'm really misreading.

Comment

Working...
                                X