No announcement yet.

The Indents in the GSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just occurred to me that someone on that same night called themselves "nothing". When placed in a line unto itself I guess I just saw symmetry in the 2. Which makes some really different and interesting interpretations for that message, if the "nothing" in the GSG refers to the woman calling herself "nothing" that night. Just thought Id mention it.

There seems to be a strong influence of Kate Eddowes and her murder this night.. and in coming weeks, would be fascinating if the murderer had links with both Lusk and Kate.
    Michael Richards

Comment

• I'm open to that idea, Michael. I already amended my previous ideas about the the construct of the GSG being five lines/two indented based on Sam's idea (the unattributed notation in the Home Office memo was done with a writing convention), and now accept the Halse 3-line version as recommended by members. I don't think there's a convention to explain away the Halse version (other than poetic). So with the word "nothing" singled out on the third line and centred, there is a strong indication of what you're saying. The author was referring to Kate Eddowes.

I was trying to find the Ripper's name in the indents but I'll go with Kate's alias as a consolation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trapperologist View Post
        The author was referring to Kate Eddowes. I was trying to find the Ripper's name in the indents but I'll go with Kate's alias as a consolation.
        We don't know that it was Kate's alias. To this day, I'm still not convinced that she actually gave her name as "Nothing", but that she simply gave no reply and "Nothing" (meaning "Said Nothing") was duly written down and misinterpreted in the evidence.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Given that Lusk was continually attempting to have the Government sanction and post a reward,he was a fair target for Jack.
          Especially given that he knew who the half kidney was likely to be sent to for an expert opinion.In fact Sutton pledged his reputation on his opinion.

Reckon my views have been posted here and elsewhere so I don't wish to get all Fishy

Something new for a change.
          Anyone notice that Eddowes' eyes seemed unusually small?
          Amongst the "unnecessary" cuts were those to her eyelids.
          Guess who co published the first papers on Xanthelasma?
          Hint .... Kate's bronzed hands and arms might not have been due to sun exposure while hop picking.
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• City-constable Lewis Robinson, 931, deposed: At half-past eight, on the night of Saturday, Sept. 29, while on duty in High-street, Aldgate, I saw a crowd of persons outside No. 29, surrounding a woman whom I have since recognised as the deceased.
            The Coroner: What state was she in? - Drunk. Lying on the footway? - Yes. I asked the crowd if any of them knew her or where she lived, but got no answer. I then picked her up and sat her against the shutters, but she fell down sideways. With the aid of a fellow-constable I took her to Bishopsgate Police-station. There she was asked her name, and she replied "Nothing." She was then put into a cell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              We don't know that it was Kate's alias. To this day, I'm still not convinced that she actually gave her name as "Nothing", but that she simply gave no reply and "Nothing" (meaning "Said Nothing") was duly written down and misinterpreted in the evidence.
              I agree that we don't know what the meaning of that word in the GSG is Sam, it was just an observation and suggestion. One that Trapperologist seems to understand was just that. The quotation marks around "nothing", if they were like has been presented, are suggestive of something though, aren't they Sam? A single word on a single line in quotations, like he was quoting someone. Now, "nothing" could be a bunch of things..general strife, a specific event, general overcrowding, immigrant bias, anti government protests….or, as I suggested, it could be a quoted word that someone used to call themselves earlier that same night...recorded by police. Which could have been a misinterpretation, sure, but do we have any cause to presume that Sam? You know me and the pesky supporting evidence thing.
              Michael Richards

Comment

• I think that the message itself was intended in some way to point a finger at the local Jewish community for what the author perceives as negative influences in the East End, that's why he puts it at the entrance to a Model homes project that is almost 100% Jewish occupancy. Symbolic reference, not a hint to anyones address in particular. That apron section is the key to deciphering what the message meant, because if it was placed there and the same man then wrote the GSG, its almost certainly anti-Semitic.

Its the crux of the problem here...did they arrive together, did the message precede the cloth, or vice versa? If either #2 or #3, then I believe we are talking about a punctuation, and a formation of unity.

But on the "nothing" again,.....if it was intended as an Eddowes quote, then the author knew about her brief incarceration and some details only police would be able to give. Which raises my eyebrow about Long. Ive always followed his stance on when the GSG appeared, he was certain, but then again...he was aware of what was going on.
                Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
                  Kate's bronzed hands and arms might not have been due to sun exposure while hop picking.
                  I think that is dried blood.

Comment

• Hi Scott!
                    Try Addison's Disease.
                    Check the face out as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

I agree that we don't know what the meaning of that word in the GSG is Sam, it was just an observation and suggestion. One that Trapperologist seems to understand was just that. The quotation marks around "nothing", if they were like has been presented, are suggestive of something though, aren't they Sam? A single word on a single line in quotations, like he was quoting someone. Now, "nothing" could be a bunch of things..general strife, a specific event, general overcrowding, immigrant bias, anti government protests….or, as I suggested, it could be a quoted word that someone used to call themselves earlier that same night...recorded by police. Which could have been a misinterpretation, sure, but do we have any cause to presume that Sam? You know me and the pesky supporting evidence thing.
                      I’m sure Sam is aware of the name Nothing being an actual existing surname, which might get you punched in the face by a police officer like our local Mr Nobody!!

Then again we can make nothing of the singled-out word, nothing, and go with Ike’s cricket score “fo(u)r nothing”!

Comment

• It could also be a matter of possibly rhyming with the beginning of the second line — Not and not-thing.

Comment

City-constable Lewis Robinson, 931, deposed: At half-past eight, on the night of Saturday, Sept. 29, while on duty in High-street, Aldgate, I saw a crowd of persons outside No. 29, surrounding a woman whom I have since recognised as the deceased.
                          The Coroner: What state was she in? - Drunk. Lying on the footway? - Yes. I asked the crowd if any of them knew her or where she lived, but got no answer. I then picked her up and sat her against the shutters, but she fell down sideways. With the aid of a fellow-constable I took her to Bishopsgate Police-station. There she was asked her name, and she replied "Nothing." She was then put into a cell.
                          Is there any way of knowing PC Robinson's full beat?

Only I wonder if PC Holland took over his beat later in the evening as he too was going along Aldgate High Street when the alarm was raised... https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...olland-hollins

Comment

• Seems their beats involved opposite sides of the street.

Comment

Seems their beats involved opposite sides of the street.
                              Which would mean PC Harvey would've taken over that beat, unless Robinson crossed over the road to deal with the crowd gathered around Catherine. With the other unnamed constable who helped him carry her to the station it could be visa-versa.

Would those two beats have been covered by other constables during their absence or was it a case of those streets being left unattended until they resumed their beats when finished at the station?

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                                I think that the message itself was intended in some way to point a finger at the local Jewish community for what the author perceives as negative influences in the East End, that's why he puts it at the entrance to a Model homes project that is almost 100% Jewish occupancy. Symbolic reference, not a hint to anyones address in particular. That apron section is the key to deciphering what the message meant, because if it was placed there and the same man then wrote the GSG, its almost certainly anti-Semitic.

Its the crux of the problem here...did they arrive together, did the message precede the cloth, or vice versa? If either #2 or #3, then I believe we are talking about a punctuation, and a formation of unity.

But on the "nothing" again,.....if it was intended as an Eddowes quote, then the author knew about her brief incarceration and some details only police would be able to give. Which raises my eyebrow about Long. Ive always followed his stance on when the GSG appeared, he was certain, but then again...he was aware of what was going on.
                                PC Long was a metropolitan constable and based at Leman Street Station while the constables who took Catherine Eddowes were city police and took her to Bishopgate Station.

Comment

Working...
                                X