Walter Sickert and Princess Alexandra Of Denmark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter Sickert and Princess Alexandra Of Denmark

What are peoples thoughts on whether it was possible Walter and Alexandra knew each other , or were acquaintances. So the story goes, she arranged for her son Prince Albert Victor Duke of Clarence to meet the painter so as to take him under his wing.

His grandfather, the Danish easel painter Johann Jurgen Sickert , was employed at the court of King Christian VIII of Denmark. His father, the painter and illustrator Oswald Adalbert Sickert, was born in Altona, then within the Danish protectorate of Schleswig-Holstein .

It would seem there is a connection in Walters family that may/ may not have continued with Alexandra.
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

I’ve nevet heard of it, having no interest in Sickert, but my initial thought was it seems unlikely, since Sickert only started painting in the 1880s, by which time his father was already a British subject.
    ”so the story goes” - who is telling this story and on what basis?

Alexandra’s papers are at Windsor castle, I believe. I don’t know if there’s a recent decent biography of her.

Comment

I can’t locate where but I’m sure that Sickert authority Wendy Baron dismissed this idea.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Blue tunicle
        Tunicles

The most decorated of these are the blue and the white tunicles. Floral designs on the white one, given by Carol Rivett in 1947, depict the four seasons. The blue, or Holy Innocents, tunicle was made in 1910 by Christine Angus (Mrs Walter Sickert) and presented to the Abbey in 1920. This elaborate embroidery shows birds, flowers and butterflies with children from her extended family, including the young Peter Scott who became an eminent naturalist.

Christine Angus ,Walter Sickert second wife made this tunic in 1910 and it was given to Westminster Abby in 1920 and used in state occasion and coronations in some form or another , one might wonder how she came to receive such important recognition for her work , and the circumstances behind it .

it could be nothing , but id be interested to find out more , and how it came about.

'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post
          Blue tunicle
          Tunicles

The most decorated of these are the blue and the white tunicles. Floral designs on the white one, given by Carol Rivett in 1947, depict the four seasons. The blue, or Holy Innocents, tunicle was made in 1910 by Christine Angus (Mrs Walter Sickert) and presented to the Abbey in 1920. This elaborate embroidery shows birds, flowers and butterflies with children from her extended family, including the young Peter Scott who became an eminent naturalist.

Christine Angus ,Walter Sickert second wife made this tunic in 1910 and it was given to Westminster Abby in 1920 and used in state occasion and coronations in some form or another , one might wonder how she came to receive such important recognition for her work , and the circumstances behind it .

it could be nothing , but id be interested to find out more , and how it came about.
          Sickert didn't marry Christine until 1911, and she died in 1920 so presumably it was donated to the abbey after her death.

Comment

Yes that could be one possibility , although is might also be that they were together before 1911 who knows, also worth a mention is why such an insignificant person such as Christine Angnus,s work after it was donated was thought highly enough of as to be used in such distinguished occasions . There has to be a reason behind it , be interesting to know it thats all

Comment

Yes that could be one possibility , although is might also be that they were together before 1911 who knows, also worth a mention is why such an insignificant person such as Christine Angnus,s work after it was donated was thought highly enough of as to be used in such distinguished occasions . There has to be a reason behind it , be interesting to know it thats all
              Not knowing anything about someone doesn't make them insignificant. She is listed variously as designer, embroiderer, expert seamstress, illustrator and artist, so not untalented it seems. Indeed, she was a pupil of Sickert before they married.

Comment

Well then, significant enough to have made/ met some important acquaintances during her time with Sickert . As ive said ,there has to be a reason behind the importance of the Blue Tunicle... In my opinion.

Sickerts father and grandfather had a connection with royalty, hard to imagine that stopped with Walter ,

Comment

There’s no reason to believe that Sickert had any connection to the Royal family or that Princess Alexandra would entrust part of her son’s education to him. Especially at a studio which didn’t exist.

If your looking for facts there’s one. No studio.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

What is a fact is that its my opinion that it was possible to have a connection to the royal family based on his father and grandfathers who was associated via his paintings of the dutch royal family

Now if you want to say theres no reason for'' YOU'' to believe it then fine, yell it from the roof top , but I WILL DO THE SAME WHERE MY OPINION IS CONCERNED

since when did you start speaking on behalf of Princess Alexandra on what she might have or might not have done. HOW VERY NOBLE OF YOU.

Comment

What is a fact is that its my opinion that it was possible to have a connection to the royal family based on his father and grandfathers who was associated via his paintings of the dutch royal family

Now if you want to say theres no reason for'' YOU'' to believe it then fine, yell it from the roof top , but I WILL DO THE SAME WHERE MY OPINION IS CONCERNED

since when did you start speaking on behalf of Princess Alexandra on what she might have or might not have done. HOW VERY NOBLE OF YOU.
                      I simply speak on behalf of the fact the Alexandra allegedly sent her son to Sickert’s studio in Cleveland Street to further his education. As we know that the studio didn’t exist we therefore know that this story is untrue. It’s very simple. Prince Eddy couldn’t have met someone in a non-existent studio. It’s not difficult really.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

As we know Sickert had many studios in and around Cleveland street so they did exist. Pretty simple i should think

Comment

Well then, significant enough to have made/ met some important acquaintances during her time with Sickert . As ive said ,there has to be a reason behind the importance of the Blue Tunicle... In my opinion.

Sickerts father and grandfather had a connection with royalty, hard to imagine that stopped with Walter ,
                          There “has to be a reason”? Why?

What was Sickert’s father’s “connection with royalty”?

what’s the reason for the Carol Rivett tunicle being honoured in the same way? Did she have a grandfather-in-law with a “connection” with royalty, too?

Comment

As we know Sickert had many studios in and around Cleveland street so they did exist. Pretty simple i should think
                            Did he? There’s one thing that we know for a fact.....he didn’t have one at number 20 Cleveland Street.

As you well know Fishy Joseph’s story mentions the actual address. He doesn’t just allude to some random studio. A building which was, if I recall correctly, a home for trainee nurses at the time of the murders. Also, again if I recall correctly as I’m working from memory here, the nearest studio that he had was in Fitzroy Square. A studio that he didn’t acquire until considerably after the murders. Years after in fact (5 or 6 I think)

These facts cannot be cast aside just because they are inconvenient. Sickert wasn’t in Cleveland Street which removes a central plank of the theory. Once you name the other vital planks (Annie’s alleged Catholicism, her living at number 6, her and Cook being one and the same person, the hospital, Netley’s alleged attack on Alice Margaret) and then dismiss them with irrefutable evidence then the story crumbles to dust. If so much was definitely disproven about any other ripper theory no one would waste time even discussing it. Yet with this theory one person is desperately trying to keep it alive. This theory should have a do not resuscitate sign above it.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Page 43 'JtR: The Final Solution,' Hardback.

What was Stephen Knight's source for Sickert's ensconcement in the Royal circle and his influence on his second wife's creation of the Blue Tunicle, which she embroidered a year before they were married?
                              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
                              X