Walter Sickert and Princess Alexandra Of Denmark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post
    ....you fail to understand the complexity of of certain things pertaining to knights book....
    I certainly feel I need enlightening. Could you explain these complexities, please? If not in this thread then perhaps a fresh one?

Comment

I certainly feel I need enlightening. Could you explain these complexities, please? If not in this thread then perhaps a fresh one?
      Sure , ill be starting a new thread shortly
      'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Good to see your still thinking and speaking for the late Princess Alexandra.

I said from the start Herlock, you fail to understand the complexity of of certain things pertaining to knights book. You clearly do not understand it . So i wont be discussion it you any further.

REMEMBER THIS POST
        Of course you won’t discuss it. You never have. You just keep making dishonest statements with absolutely no attempt to back them up with facts. If it’s complex and only you, in the entire world, is intelligent enough to understand it then why don’t you explain it to the rest of us? I’ll tell you why not......because you can’t. You have zero except for gullibility.

The burden of proof is on the person making the claim.....you.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I said from the start Herlock, you fail to understand the complexity of of certain things pertaining to knights book. You clearly do not understand it . I said from the start Herlock, you fail to understand the complexity of of certain things pertaining to knights book. You clearly do not understand it . So i wont be discussion it you any further.

BEEN THERE DONE THAT . SO JUST KEEP ON NOT LISTENING, OR FEEL FREE TO GO TO ANOTHER THREAD

You clearly do not understand it . So i wont be discussion it you any further.

what part dont you get of the above?

'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Hi Fishy,

Matthew Sturgis in Walter Sickert – A Life (Harper Collins 2005) – footnotes a reference to Christine Angus.

“A blue ‘damask’ tunicle’ embroidered by Christine is preserved at Wesminster Abbey; it was used at the Coronation in 1937”

Sturgis gives as his source the 1960 edition of Lillian Browse, Sickert, which is listed in Knight’s bibliography.

How much additional detail is given by Lillian Browse I don’t know as I only have the 1943 edition where it is not mentioned.

On November 5th 1974, Stephen Knight wrote to a gentleman whose name he had been given by a colleague of this gentleman at Westminster Abbey.

“I am trying to find out information about the Blue Tunicle at the Abbey. My friend Joseph Sickert took me to see it on Saturday and he told me you know more about it than anyone.

"I am writing a book based on the background of Mr Sickert’s family and any information you are able to give me would be very much appreciated.

"He told me that you had explained to him the tunic was designed by his father and embroidered by his mother in the early part of this century; that Queen Mary later came to hear of the tunicle and ordered it should go to the Abbey; that it was to have been used at the coronation of King George V1 , but that the King refused to allow its use because it was “connected with Sickert”.

"Can you confirm this, please, and also let me know anything else you know about the tunicle?”

On November 10th 1974 this gentleman wrote back to Knight.

“I’m afraid that I personally can give you very little information about the Abbey’s Blue Tunicle.

"I don’t know How or under what circumstances it came into our possession – or even exactly when.

Who designed the Tunicle I do not know, but it was embroidered by Mrs Sickert - who I believe did a great deal of embroidering, eventually lost her eyesight in consequence.

May I suggest that any information which you require, re the Tunicle you receive from ................ the Dean’s Verger, Westminster Abbey.”

On November 16th 1974, Knight wrote to The Dean’s Verger.

“I was introduced to you briefly two weeks ago when my friend Mr Joseph Sickert brought me to the Abbey to view the Blue Tunicle.

"The gentleman who was kind enough to show us the vestment suggested I write to Mr..............for details of its background.

"I did this but Mr........was only able to confirm it was embroidered by my friend’s mother, Alice Crook Sickert, and he suggested I write to you for full details.

"I am writing a book based on the background of Mr Sickert’s family and any information you are able to give me would be much appreciated.

"Joseph Sickert says he thinks the tunicle was designed by Walter Sickert the painter and embroidered by his mother in the early part of this century; that Queen Mary later came to hear of the tunicle and ordered it should go to the Abbey; that it was to have been used at the coronation of King George V1, but that the King refused to allow its use because it was “connected with Sickert.”

"Can you confirm any of this please, and if possible tell me anything else you may know about the originsand history of the tunicle?”

On November 20th 1974, the Dean’s Verger wrote back to Knight.

“In answering your letter, I am afraid I am not going to be able to give you very much helpful information about the Blue Tunicle. Our late Sacrist, Dr Perkins, wrote about the tunicle in the third of his three volumes entitled “Westminster Abbey – It’s Worship and Ornaments”, and I have had a copy taken of the page dealing with the tunicle which I am sending to you. This information is without doubt correct.

With regard to what was said about Mr. Sickert by George V1., I would think this is very unlikely. I am sorry I cannot give you more information and hope that this little bit will be of some use to you.”

Extract from Westminster Abbey – It’s Worship and Ornaments Vol 3 by Jocelyn Perkins, (OUP 1952)

“Prominent among the modern fabrics belonging to the Dean and Chapter is the festal Tunicle of blue silk worn by the Cross Bearer. Donor and artist were one and the same, viz.: the late Mrs Walter Sickert (nee Angus) . This wonderfully beautiful vestment occupied three years in working. It was seen to be a work of supreme excellence and was at once accepted by the Hanging Committee of the International Exhibitions which took place at Ghent in 1913 and Paris in 1914. It was also exhibited at Burlington House during the First World War. On leaving England for a new home in Dieppe in 1920 Mrs Sickert offered her beautiful work to the Dean and Chapter and it was used at the Feast of the Dedication in that year.”

In Sixty Years At Westminster Abbey also by Jocelyn Perkins (James Clarke & Co.Ltd 1960), Dr Perkins writes:-

“The Blue Tunicle appeared during this summer under the aegis of my friend Francis Eeles. It is fully described in a memorandum under the Sacrist’s papers so I will not enlarge upon its many wonderful beauties. It must suffice to say here that it was worked by a Scotch lady, Miss Elizabeth Angus by name, a pupil of Professor Anning Bell at the Liverpool School of Art. Her line was not in reality embroidery at all, but the designing of Christmas cards, wall-papers, &c. I believe she was self taught as regards embroidery.

"The tunicle occupied three years in the making and it was exhibited at the Ghent International Exhibition and I believe also in Paris in pre-war days. Somewhat unexpectedly Miss Angus got married to Mr. Walter Sickert and they decided to settle in Dieppe in 1920. The tunicle had been lying put away in a drawer. She now decided to part with it and offered it to some advanced church where the authorities were fool enough to refuse it, I suppose because it was too modern or because it did not conform to strict ecclesiastical ideas.

"She therefore placed the matter in the hands of the Victoria and Albert Museum people in the hope that it might through them become the property of the Abbey or failing ourselves Southwark Cathedral”

Following publication of his book, Knight received a letter, dated October 20th 1976, from Christine Angus’s sister.

“Don’t think that Walter had anything to do with the designing of Christines tunicle in Westminster Abbey – God forbid! Though I’m glad you give it the publicity it deserves.”

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

I said from the start Herlock, you fail to understand the complexity of of certain things pertaining to knights book. You clearly do not understand it . I said from the start Herlock, you fail to understand the complexity of of certain things pertaining to knights book. You clearly do not understand it . So i wont be discussion it you any further.

BEEN THERE DONE THAT . SO JUST KEEP ON NOT LISTENING, OR FEEL FREE TO GO TO ANOTHER THREAD

You won’t discuss it because you don’t have the integrity or substance to back up your case. You can keep saying that I don’t understand it all you like but you’ve had numerous opportunities to explain but you’ve consistently not done so. Repeating - you don’t understand- over and over like a parrot doesn’t work. Why haven’t you explained? Because you can’t. It’s all bluff and lies. You pretend to know things that the rest of us don’t. You’re like a child saying - I know a secret but I’m not telling you.

Ill leave you to your fantasy world. See how many people you find that agree with you.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by PRB View Post

You’re wasting your time PRB
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

your wasting your time again herlock ,read the above .

Comment

And I appear to have wasted my time as well.

Goodbye, Fishy.
                    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Simon

Thanks for the information on the Blue Tunicle , makes very interesting reading , certainly clears up who actually designed and produced it.

kind regards fishy.

Comment

This is an utter lie. You haven’t - done that. You keep refusing to answer question or to back up any of your statements. Because you cannot and you know it.

I understand that you have no respect for the truth or for serious debate or discussion.

i understand it all. It means that you cannot back up any of your claims and you either ignore questions you can’t answer or seek to close down the discussion. It’s pathetic.

Everyone is wasting there time in trying to discus the case with someone with no integrity.

Ive tried discussing the case with you but you obviously can’t cope with people that disagree with you. Which is everyone by the way.

I’ll leave you to your fantasy world where you can pretend that people don’t see what kind of poster you are.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

so does that mean youll finally stop wasting your time and move to another thread .? hmmmm we can only hope.

like i said been there done that with you . and you chose to ignore it .

Comment

so does that mean youll finally stop wasting your time and move to another thread .? hmmmm we can only hope.

A pathetic waste of posting space.

I can see why you like Knight and Gorman though. They were both liars.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

WELL HERE IT IS AGAIN JUST FOR YOU , MAYBE YOU'LL GET THE MESSAGE YOUR POST DONT MEAN ANYTHING TO ME. SO KEEP ON WASTING YOUR TIME, AND ILL KEEP POSTING WHAT IVE ALREADY SHOWN TO BE FACTS IN REGARDS TO KNIGHT.

Last edited by FISHY1118; 07-15-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

WELL HERE IT IS AGAIN JUST FOR YOU , MAYBE YOU'LL GET THE MESSAGE YOUR POST DONT MEAN ANYTHING TO ME. SO KEEP ON WASTING YOUR TIME, AND ILL KEEP POSTING WHAT IVE ALREADY SHOWN TO BE FACTS IN REGARDS TO KNIGHT.
                                You don’t know what facts are.

Youve been outed and exposed
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X