Lusk Letter and Suggested Irish Syntax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lusk Letter and Suggested Irish Syntax

I was recently reviewing the video library, and in the "Phantom of Death" documentary, a comment was made (not by Sudgen of Fido, interestingly, but by the narrator) that the Lusk letter was "probably from the actual killer" and the "syntax was Irish." Where did the documentary come up with this idea of an Irish connotation? Has the Lusk letter been studied by the police for its ethnic origins? I also wonder as well, why isn't there more information and questioning regarding the suspects' dialects in general during these investigations.

The assumption was that certain words, when pronounced, would sound Irish. However, I am inclined to believe the writer was actually trying to present themselves as an uneducated cockney.

In my opinion, he was neither Irish nor a cockney.

Jay Hartley believes the same person who wrote the 'Openshaw Letter' was also behind the famous 'From Hell letter'. That was 'Jack the Ripper'.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
    JayHartley.com

Comment

It's quite possible that the writer was affecting an Irish accent, peppering the letter with what might be called "Stage Irish":

"Sor" (Sir), "prasarved" (preserved), "tother piece", "wate a whil longer" and "Mishter" (mister).
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I wonder if there is any contemporary evidence that people actually wrote like that in other letters, correspondence etc.? Does come across as all a bit 'Am Dram' to me. Not sure what you would call it/or explain it but in reading it, to me at least in my head I hear a very strong Irish accent coming through.
        Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

or the writer was irish and was writing phonetically

Comment

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post
            I wonder if there is any contemporary evidence that people actually wrote like that in other letters, correspondence etc.?
            I'm not sure how often it occurred in private correspondence, but trying to convey accents in writing was very common in plays, books and popular literature. The novels of Dickens are probably the best known, and there are even examples in Shakespeare.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Yo, Sam. Welcome back, brother! You have been gone too long.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

I'm not sure how often it occurred in private correspondence, but trying to convey accents in writing was very common in plays, books and popular literature. The novels of Dickens are probably the best known, and there are even examples in Shakespeare.
                My point exactly. Does come across as a piece of dialogue in a book or a play!
                Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  Yo, Sam. Welcome back, brother! You have been gone too long.

c.d.
                  Thanks, CD! Hopefully I'll be chipping in now and again
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

It's quite possible that the writer was affecting an Irish accent, peppering the letter with what might be called "Stage Irish":

"Sor" (Sir), "prasarved" (preserved), "tother piece", "wate a whil longer" and "Mishter" (mister).
                    So you presume the letter is a fake?..forgery then.

Comment

Exactly. I'm still an amateur ripperologist but I find it remarkable that the dialect of suspects was so little asked by the police to the key witnesses. .. or not documented? But that's evidence that could rule out plenty of the JtR suspect list.

Comment

Originally posted by Filby View Post

So you presume the letter is a fake?..forgery then.
                        I think it unlikely that any of the letters were from JTR, and the Lusk Letter is no exception. It's such an obvious piece of grand guignol that it was probably nothing more than a macabre prank.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                          The same could be said for the GS graffiti JUWES=JURORS

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            The problem there is that the Irish actually pronounce "mister" more like "misther", but never "mishter".
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

The problem there is that the Irish actually pronounce "mister" more like "misther", but never "mishter".
                              thanks Sam. And welcome back! been too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X