Philip Sugden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Sugden

It is with great sadness that I have to report the sudden passing of Philip Sugden, at the age of 67 years, at the beginning of this month. He passed away suddenly at his home in Hull and the announcement has been withheld until now at the request of his brother whilst arrangements were being made.

The field of Ripper studies has lost a fine historian and author whose stature in the field cannot be gainsaid. I feel his loss very much personally as he was a great friend and mentor to me. For many years he had been working on another lengthy study (not Ripper related) and it is hoped that this will eventually be published.
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

My deepest sympathies to the Sugden family,

Phillip Sugden's work is a cornerstone of this field, and a standard we all should aim to achieve.

I know you and Rosie were especially fond of him, my thoughts are with you all.

Neil
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thank you Stewart for letting us all know of this sad loss.

One of the greatest books on the subject written by one of the best authors came from this man's pen. Mr Sugden stood for a total re-think in the way the written word of the case be presented to the world. A very sad loss indeed. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

So sorry to hear of this. Ripperology has lost another seeker of the truth.

Comment

As expressed elsewhere I am deeply sorry to hear of this sad news...

All the best

Dave

Comment

My thoughts are with Philip's family.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

My deepest sympathies, and what a shocking loss at only 67.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Superficially, a book is something you go into a shop and pay money for, but a book this good is a kind of gift from author to reader - the gift of the fruits of an author's patience, intelligence, experience, skill, imagination and sheer painstaking labour, and it's a gift for which he will always be remembered.

Comment

How sad. It was Mr. Sugden's book that first got me interested in the case. I still think it is the best overall book on the Ripper. I am sure he will be missed. My thoughts are with him and his loved ones. -- Rob H

Comment

Oh, I'm so sad. My sympathies are with his family and friends. I've read his book at least 12 times and wished he would have written more on the subject. 67 is far too young to die, especially for such a brilliant scholar. We've lost one of our best.

Comment

So sad to hear from Stewart Evans that Philip Sugden has died. A great a loss, he was a marvellous ,thrilling , analytical writer and researcher whose book I always kept and still keep at the very top of my list.He is right up there with the very best.
                      My sympathy to his family and friends .

Comment

Wise Words

"I don't propose a theory. My aim, simply, was to provide serious students of the case, or indeed anyone with an interest in the case, with a dependable general book that gave a comprehensive account of the events and took a hard, no-nonsense look at the main suspects. I can't find a credible case against any of them." - Philip Sugden, April, 1994.
                        Last edited by Stewart P Evans; 05-13-2014, 03:59 AM.
                        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

sad

Hello Stewart. Thanks.

Very sad news.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

condolences and prayers for his family.

his was the first book I read on the ripper. a masterpiece.
                            thanks and god bless mr. Sugden.
                            "Is all that we see or seem
                            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

So sorry to hear of Mr. Sugden's death. I found his book (really two books as he updated it) on the Ripper excellent as an example of scholarship and writing. I hope his other work, when edited (if necessary) is released.

Comment

Working...
                              X