X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly
    replied
    Originally posted by Magpie View Post
    I read that article earlier today, and maybe the guy thought he was getting into the spirit of the thing, but I found it really condescending and ignorant.
    Yep. That guy only spent a short time with us, though. He only even listened to part of Martin's talk. I think he tried to force context on the article because he didn't have a firm hold on what was really going on.

It's also odd that he wrote it so much from his perspective --as if it was supposed to be a big show for HIS entertainment -- rather than attempting to find out why WE were so rapt.

I'm not bummed, though. He just missed the point. The Knoxville Voice article is quite nice, but that writer bothered to spend time with us, talk to lots of people, see more than one talk in its entirety, etc.

What a difference some research can make!

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
    In case anyone should misunderstand Martin, he clearly said the famous quote about the identity of JTR was Don Rumbelow's and wasn't trying to pass it off as his own as this pathetic article would make out.

PHILIP
    Ah, I figured the writer was misidentifying Don as Martin.

Six of one...

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    I read that article earlier today, and maybe the guy thought he was getting into the spirit of the thing, but I found it really condescending and ignorant.

Here's the online version:

Oops, sorry, I missed Maurice's post.

Leave a comment:

• George Hutchinson
    replied
    It was me who said 'empathy' to the guy on the desk. I say it to everyone when they ask me why I'm interested in it, because I've been asked it so many times and the answer is so abstract, I feel you answer a stupid question with a stupid answer. I think I did a Hannibal Lectar noise after I said it too, and he laughed, so he knew I was joking.

In case anyone should misunderstand Martin, he clearly said the famous quote about the identity of JTR was Don Rumbelow's and wasn't trying to pass it off as his own as this pathetic article would make out.

PHILIP

Leave a comment:

• jayerkey
    replied
    I just wanted to say thanks to Kelly and Dan for a great conference. I also wanted to put up a link to the hotel in case anyone wanted to make any comments to them. I worked as a hotel Asst GM for 7 years and I always liked feedback (positive or negative).
    I think the staff was terrific. Jody was a great room captain. She had a great work ethic and a nice personality. James did the bars and helped Jody in the rooms on occasion. Claude from the front desk (bald guy from New Orleans) was as nice as they come. He was also very informative on what to do and where to go in Knoxville. Even Angela who was the housekeeper for my room all weekend was very nice. She left me a handwritten note asking me if I needed anything for my stay (razor, shave cream, toothpaste, etc..) which was nice since I only had a carry-on and I could not bring a razor or toothpaste on the plane. She saved me from going to the Walgreen's down the street and it did not cost me a thing.
    I travel about 15-20 times a year and I must say the staff at the Four Points Sheraton Knoxville were some of the best I EVER encountered.

Book Directly & Save at any of our 8000+ Marriott Bonvoy Hotels. Choose from Luxury Hotels, Resorts, Extended Stay Hotels, Pet-Friendly Hotels & More.
    Last edited by jayerkey; 10-16-2008, 09:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly
    replied
    Hold the phone, Dan. The Knoxville Voice article is out, and they did a bang-up job, probably because their guy spent more time at the event and talked to more people.

Can't wait to show it to you, Dan.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Norder
    replied
    Oh, and totally as an aside, those of you who were at the conference met Matthew Jones, who ran the slide projectors for Eugenia's presentation and also was one of the cameramen filming things for the DVD we're working on. Turns out he's quoted as part of the article in that same issue about the local curling club. The link to that piece shows up on that web site.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Norder
    replied
    Oh, hey... I didn't realize that was online. Thanks for the link!

The scan above shows you the cartoon that ran with it, which I think makes the whole thing.
    Last edited by Dan Norder; 10-16-2008, 08:01 PM. Reason: mentioned cartoon

Leave a comment:

• The Grave Maurice
    replied
    Here's a comment on the conference from the Knoxville media.

P.S. Sorry. I see Dan beat me to it.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Norder
    replied
    Thanks again to everyone who attended and of course especially all the speakers without whom the weekend wouldn't have been possible. I've told a few people now that it was like going on a big vacation except bringing everyone you want to go see to where you live instead.

So far we've gotten a few bits of local media coverage. A TV station did a short segment on us Saturday evening that had a clip of Philip and some shots of the book room, and now the local alternative weekly newspaper has come out with an article (just scanning to show the layout above the fold, not to read -- copyrights and all):

Being an alternative weekly we ended up with a reporter who writes the article all about himself and his thoughts while he was there instead of what happened. More than half of the text can be summarized as:

"I hear they all have knives! Wait, now that I am here I see that they don't have knives. Damn. They're actually talking about stuff? I'm bored. There's a festival going on in the park I can see right outside the windows. Why couldn't I be covering that instead? I'd rather be drinking and listening to music. Wait, is that "Free Bird" I hear being piped over the speakers across the street? I guess I'll stay up here and listen to the eggheads talk."

I kid you not. That's about eight of the fourteen paragraphs.

But when he stops the self-indulgent snarkiness for a couple of paragraphs to report what actually happened I think there'll be a bunch of readers who realize that they would have really enjoyed the conference if they'd been there. It's obvious the reporter just doesn't care at all, and he thinks his readership doesn't either (which for the most part is probably true), but he has enough solid reporting in there that's it's just comprehensive enough and factual that those who are interested will be intrigued and those who aren't will be amused. So it works.

And he spelled our names right, so what more can you ask, really?

Leave a comment:

• Kelly
    replied
    Patti--

Great seeing you again too, and your non-imaginary husband as well.

The charity auction items have been posted. Please check them out and bid. These are both hard-to-get items, and the cause is worthy.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?p=48842#post48842

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=1578

Leave a comment:

• Jewal
    replied
    Originally posted by Patti View Post
    The conference was definitely worth my 9 hr drive from Baltimore. Again, the accomodations were lovely, the subject matter interesting, the people gracious and great company, and many new friends welcome.

I would especially like to thank the Fidos for their lively conversation and friendship. Martin, you are truly a gentleman and a scholar; and Karen, I would love to hang out with you again soon. Philip and Robert's sense of humor kept us in stitches. Eugenia was great fun and her images and presentation will be long remembered. Julie and the rest of the "girls" were wonderful and lots of fun and I hope to see you at the next conference. Last but not least, Kelly and Dan -- thanks for all your hard work and your kind hospitality. Yes Kelly, Steve is not a ghost.

Pat
    Dear Patti!

I'm so glad you made it home safe!

Yes "the Girls" Table was fun wasn't it?!

It was really great meeting you and your husband as well as the other "Girls" Laura and Anne... I hope to see you all again... I will be attending another as I am hooked!

How lucky were we? Meeting all the wonderful speakers and enjoying the fascinating information and entertaining videos!

Best to you always!

Julie

Leave a comment:

• Patti
    replied
    The conference was definitely worth my 9 hr drive from Baltimore. Again, the accomodations were lovely, the subject matter interesting, the people gracious and great company, and many new friends welcome.

I would especially like to thank the Fidos for their lively conversation and friendship. Martin, you are truly a gentleman and a scholar; and Karen, I would love to hang out with you again soon. Philip and Robert's sense of humor kept us in stitches. Eugenia was great fun and her images and presentation will be long remembered. Julie and the rest of the "girls" were wonderful and lots of fun and I hope to see you at the next conference. Last but not least, Kelly and Dan -- thanks for all your hard work and your kind hospitality. Yes Kelly, Steve is not a ghost.

Pat

Leave a comment:

• Kelly
    replied
    I'm disappointed to have found out that I have to go to work today, when I thought it was actually my last day off. What a complete bummer!

That means I should have done yesterday some of the things I planned to do today, most notably: posting the charity auction.

I will do so tonight after work.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Must dash.

-K

Leave a comment:

• Suzi
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash View Post
    ps. for those who have met him in the past, Spike would like to say how much he enjoyed Knoxville as well, especially the wigsphere.

Cheers Spike!!-
    Mr D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X