No announcement yet.

Why are you drawn to the case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was 15 when I checked out Tom Cullen's relatively new book, When London Walked In Terror, from the library. I loved history and found the societal background fascinating. I started reading whatever I could on JTR and other Victorian-era crimes from then on. I remember not being convinced at all by Cullen's suspect, M.J. Druitt.
    Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post
      What is it about the Whitechapel case that so appeals to you? Is it a desire to unmask the killer? Unearth information relating to the victims? Uncovering a grand conspiracy that has been hidden all these years or just a general interest in History? Maybe the sense of community on this site?

I think for me its a particular interest in time period and history in general, combined with a bit of a childhood fascination with the case and the fact I used to live in the area a few years back.

How about you? Would love to hear some replies!

Tristan
      i got drawn into true crime and serial killers in particular having lived through the beltway sniper ordeal. then reaaly into it after that when rader was caught as BTK. been hooked ever since, especially unsolved ones like the ripper and zodiac.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I'm drawn to the case because you're [insert poster's name] drawn to the case.

Comment

It was back in, I think, 1970 when McCormick's, The Identity of Jack the Ripper was reprinted. It was the first book on the subject I had seen and I hadn't a clue what it was about. This would be one of the worst books for an initiation into the subject, most of it being pure fantasy. All you will learn from reading this book is how to not present a 'who was the Ripper' theory.
          Don't make up details and present them as facts, don't misrepresent what others have written, and don't invent so-called 'evidence'.
          On that positive note, I'll leave the subject alone.....
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I've always had an interest in true crime. Back in the 90s a friend of mine and I got to discussing JtR. He was a historian (mostly interested in war of 1812), and the two of us got into all sorts of discussions that often solved the case on each occasion (usually somewhere in the wee hours of the morning, around the time the beer ran out). Curiously, the solutions were different each time. I've since lost interest in suspect focused ideas, and have become more interested in trying to just get a clear idea of what happened.

- Jeff

Comment

I wonder what the split is between people who actively have a suspect in mine and those just drawn to the case for the myriad of other reasons i.e. history?

I have never really been all that interested by the culprit tbh. Though I wonder if the case would have the same draw to me, if we knew who did it? I think it probably would.
              Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

I wonder what the split is between people who actively have a suspect in mine and those just drawn to the case for the myriad of other reasons i.e. history?

I have never really been all that interested by the culprit tbh. Though I wonder if the case would have the same draw to me, if we knew who did it? I think it probably would.
                Interesting, Tristan!

I am the exact opposite.

It's the lack of resolution that draws me in!

It's hard to say, but I very much doubt that I'd have much awareness of it if this was a solved case.

I do find the backdrop of London in the LVP fascinating though.

Comment

I have always been interested in murder mysteries, probably stemming from discovering Sherlock Holmes in my childhood.

I also love history in general.

Many years later, a friend and I coauthored adventure stories and researched Jack the Ripper via books and documentary films for a story. And I was delighted by the graphic novel "From Hell"!

I found the Casebook site some years ago when looking for information on the supposed Shawl and DNA. I became very interested in how discussions raged back and forth in the forum, and learned a lot about all sorts of suspects and theories.

It is still fascinating to me.
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

[QUOTE=Losmandris;n749426]What is it about the Whitechapel case that so appeals to you? Is it a desire to unmask the killer? Unearth information relating to the victims? Uncovering a grand conspiracy that has been hidden all these years or just a general interest in History? Maybe the sense of community on this site?

For me, it's all of the above. I freely admit to the bias of *wanting* the Ripper to be a toff, a mad Harley Street surgeon prowling the warrens of Whitechapel looking for his next victim? Narrow, cobbled streets....Thick, pea-soup fog.....Who else should come out of the night?

I think for me its a particular interest in time period and history in general, combined with a bit of a childhood fascination with the case and the fact I used to live in the area a few years back.

Same. While I have been to London fleetingly twice before, I just booked a week in London for August 2024. My eldest son and my lady friend and her son will join us. We plan to take several Ripper tours, because I want to experience it from different "expert" viewpoints. Most definitely a bucket list cross-off for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Holmes' Idiot Brother View Post

I freely admit to the bias of *wanting* the Ripper to be a toff, a mad Harley Street surgeon prowling the warrens of Whitechapel looking for his next victim? Narrow, cobbled streets....Thick, pea-soup fog.....Who else should come out of the night?
                      Interesting self-examination. Consider these statements...

I want the Ripper to have been a toff.

I believe the Ripper was a toff.

Are these statements meaningfully different, or do they amount to saying the same thing? In other words, do statements of belief really just amount to declarations of one's preferred truth, or does the brain store desired truths separately from intellectual beliefs?
                      Last edited by NotBlamedForNothing; 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM.
                      Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

[QUOTE=Holmes' Idiot Brother;n830755]
                        What is it about the Whitechapel case that so appeals to you? Is it a desire to unmask the killer? Unearth information relating to the victims? Uncovering a grand conspiracy that has been hidden all these years or just a general interest in History? Maybe the sense of community on this site?

For me, it's all of the above. I freely admit to the bias of *wanting* the Ripper to be a toff, a mad Harley Street surgeon prowling the warrens of Whitechapel looking for his next victim? Narrow, cobbled streets....Thick, pea-soup fog.....Who else should come out of the night?

Same. While I have been to London fleetingly twice before, I just booked a week in London for August 2024. My eldest son and my lady friend and her son will join us. We plan to take several Ripper tours, because I want to experience it from different "expert" viewpoints. Most definitely a bucket list cross-off for me!

Excellent. It is a still a great part of the city, though constantly changing at an alarming rate. I think it is the case of catching the last of the sights before they disappear. That said still can be very atmospheric in parts. And (ducks for cover) so much else to do and explore that is not ripper related. If you are a foodie, there are some amazing restaurants and food outlets to check out.

Can highly recommend picking up the Edgars guide to the East end from Mango books before you go, if you can get a copy.

Have a great trip.
                        Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

[QUOTE=Losmandris;n830777][QUOTE=Holmes' Idiot Brother;n830755]

Excellent. It is a still a great part of the city, though constantly changing at an alarming rate. I think it is the case of catching the last of the sights before they disappear. That said still can be very atmospheric in parts. And (ducks for cover) so much else to do and explore that is not ripper related. If you are a foodie, there are some amazing restaurants and food outlets to check out.

I hear there are some amazing Indian restaurants in Brick Lane that are not to be missed. My friend and I plan to explore as many as possible! LOL

Can highly recommend picking up the Edgars guide to the East end from Mango books before you go, if you can get a copy.

Thanks! I will definitely check it out. We're staying right next to the Tower of London, with Mitre Square a short walk away. I will be crawling all over the district.

Comment

[QUOTE=Holmes' Idiot Brother;n830782][QUOTE=Losmandris;n830777]
                            Originally posted by Holmes' Idiot Brother View Post

I hear there are some amazing Indian restaurants in Brick Lane that are not to be missed. My friend and I plan to explore as many as possible! LOL

Thanks! I will definitely check it out. We're staying right next to the Tower of London, with Mitre Square a short walk away. I will be crawling all over the district.

TBH those are exactly the restaurants I would recommend you avoid. Far better places to be found. Tower of London is certainly worth a visit too as is a climb up the Monument which is not too far from there (something I had never done until my last visit at xmas) still some amazing views to be had from there!
                            Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

[QUOTE=Losmandris;n830876][QUOTE=Holmes' Idiot Brother;n830782]

TBH those are exactly the restaurants I would recommend you avoid. Far better places to be found. Tower of London is certainly worth a visit too as is a climb up the Monument which is not too far from there (something I had never done until my last visit at xmas) still some amazing views to be had from there!

I dunno...I've read some reviews of the Brick Lane curry places and they are very positive. Just gonna have to see for myself. Also, I hear quite a lot about "Dishoom," which has a few locations in London. But I hear it's impossible to get into and you're rushed. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Comment

If you want hands down the best Indian Food in London. Jump on the Elizabeth Line and head to Southall in West London. All the cliental are locals and food is not aimed at tourists. Its a little part of India in London. Food is out of this world and so diverse. Just being there is an experience in itself. When it comes to food in London, you are always better heading off the trail a bit.

Or you want something local authentic going right back to Victorian times you have to try pie and mash and liquor (Paisley sauce) maybe a few eels as well if you are feeling brave and they have them in that day. Though pie and mash shops are getting few and far between now. Still think there is G.Kelly on Bethnal Green Road and there is a place over by Hoxton Station. I am a big fan. And to be authentic make sure you eat it with a fork and spoon!
                                Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Working...
                                X