What was withheld??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
    Yes, it is curious. It seems like such an important point to just be glossed over.
    Exactly. But doesn't it appear to you that much about Millers Court was kept "secret" by the authorities -- on purpose. Very quick inquest so the facts are not made public.

What could that have been about?

Comment

• Sorry...

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
      Gosh, Redbundy -did you really need to tell us that about your brother ? It put me off my lunch.
      Yes your right I didnt need to put that in there, there is something disturbing about a high school kid on one of those sites looking for much, much older women. He does have some issues... Sorry to anyone else who got offended by that

Comment

• Aaaarff, grannies are not what they used to be...

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
          Aaaarff, grannies are not what they used to be...
          Perhaps JtR felt the same way?

Comment

• Unless some other report turns up, I think our conclusion has to be that the heart was taken away. Odd though that this was not unequivocally stated.
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Unless some other report turns up, I think our conclusion has to be that the heart was taken away. Odd though that this was not unequivocally stated.
              The fact the doctors (Macdonald, Phillips) searched the ashes in the fire grate suggests something only they could recognise, like body tissue, was indeed missing.

Regards, Jon S.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Unless some other report turns up, I think our conclusion has to be that the heart was taken away. Odd though that this was not unequivocally stated.
                I knew the heart was missing, and that I believe Abberline considered it may have been burnt in the fire and a search of the ashes was made, and I would think if one burned a heart, no matter how hot the fire was, it would leave some sort of residue, and I think they did not find such.

But I was surprised to read, and I would love to hear of any feedback on this one, in The Man who Hunted Jack the Ripper, by Nicholas Connell and Stewart P Evans the following in chapter 10 titled 13 Miller's Court:

"Kelly's body had been opened and the contents strewn around the bed, her left hand had been thrust into the thoracic cavity."...

I've never read that anywhere else. The paragraph goes on to say the police were summoned by McCarthy, who on arrival at Commercial St Police Station 'inquired at first for Inspector Reid.' and the notation (1).

The back of the book lists the chapters and the sources and the source for (1) is Weekly Dispatch, 18 November 1888. But I do not know if that source is for the entire paragraph and especially for the gruesome detail regarding 'the left hand thrust in the thoracic cavity'...does anyone else know if this is mistaken information on Reids part? Or the writers of this book?

Comment

• Its to be seen in the photograph.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Taken from the thoracic cavity. An outstanding performance for 1888.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      Its to be seen in the photograph.

Monty
                      Oh, I guess I misunderstood. Thought it meant the other hand was cut off and placed inside. What was I thinking?

Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                        I knew the heart was missing, and that I believe Abberline considered it may have been burnt in the fire and a search of the ashes was made, and I would think if one burned a heart, no matter how hot the fire was, it would leave some sort of residue, and I think they did not find such.
                        Yes, I've burned some chicken hearts by accident before while trying to cook them and they don't burn up. They just shrivel up and turn black.

Stan Reid

Comment

Yes, I've burned some chicken hearts by accident before while trying to cook them and they don't burn up. They just shrivel up and turn black.
                          I was thinking of this fact last night, and wondering if it at all occurred to Jack that he was 'melting a prostitutes heart'.

Not being facetious, I really wondered if that expression was any kind of strange impetus to the act of putting it in the fire?

Then again, did he cook it to perfection and enjoy it, let us say 'otherwise'...which would explain why it wasn't found (..)

All conjecture, I know.

Comment

• All very possible

Stan Reid

Comment

It took some major time to burn chicken hearts so I would think a human heart would take hours.

Stan Reid

Comment

• That was in an electric oven though. Direct flame might have been a little different.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X