• Show
Clear All

nighty

Hello Robert. Thanks. See you then.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

DOB (date of book)

Hello Maria. I believe it is 2002--give or take.

AK. Hmm, won't touch that.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Hello Lynn.
        Hmmm. 2002's pretty recent.
        I'm off, gotta be on the phone.
        Goodnight.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Hi Lynn, wake up there!

When I saw this Times item from Oct 20th 1893, I wondered if there was a Glasshouse St in Highgate, as that was the area covered by Y division. However, the shorter Lloyd's item from Oct 29th 1893 makes it clear that it was the "West end" Glasshouse St.
          Attached Files

Comment

all aboard

Hello Robert. Thank you very much young man. It begins to look like a boarding house after all. This encourages me to look again into the want ads.

In looking over some posts above, I hope I did not leave the impression that my cutting on Tumblety as neighbour was anything but coincidence. (Although I am looking over the dear old snake oil salesman for a different reason.)

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Lomasney

Hello All. In continuing to research the MJK event, and its possible antecedents, I have found that there is a Lomasney web site along with a photo of William Francis Lomasney.

As you recall, William Francis (Mackey) Lomasney was killed, along with his brother and John Fleming, when the bomb they were carrying exploded prematurely beneath London Bridge, December 13, 1884.

Sir Edward Jenkinson had, some time before, ordered grates installed, expecting just such an event. When it finally happened, Clan-na-Gael claimed that the Spymaster General's people had tampered with the device, thus causing the 3 deaths.

It seems clear, however, that Sir Edward did, at least, have information beforehand, and that it originated from Philadelphia. That would seem to implicate John Patrick Hayes as the purveyor of intelligence. (See Professor Campbell's book.)

The story is also on the family website here.

I am trying to make contact with descendants in order to ascertain whom John Fleming was.

Wish me luck.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

thread

Hello All. Debs Arif has kindly pointed me to a link about this subject and related.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

another site

Hello All. Debs has sent yet another site and thread with information about Fleming.

Thanks for this, Debs!

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello All. In continuing to research the MJK event, and its possible antecedents, I have found that there is a Lomasney web site along with a photo of William Francis Lomasney.

As you recall, William Francis (Mackey) Lomasney was killed, along with his brother and John Fleming, when the bomb they were carrying exploded prematurely beneath London Bridge, December 13, 1884.

Sir Edward Jenkinson had, some time before, ordered grates installed, expecting just such an event. When it finally happened, Clan-na-Gael claimed that the Spymaster General's people had tampered with the device, thus causing the 3 deaths.

It seems clear, however, that Sir Edward did, at least, have information beforehand, and that it originated from Philadelphia. That would seem to implicate John Patrick Hayes as the purveyor of intelligence. (See Professor Campbell's book.)

The story is also on the family website here.

I am trying to make contact with descendants in order to ascertain whom John Fleming was.

Wish me luck.

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Hello Lynn,

Best of luck in your attempts young man.

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

exciting

Hello Phil. Thanks. And if I see a young man, I'll pass along . . . (heh-heh).

I think the last 5 years are exciting for Ripper studies. Many things going on.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hello Lynn,

Indeed young man, indeed. You yourself are a contributory factor in all of that, and I for one am most grateful for your time and effort.

best wishes

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                        Accountability? ....

Comment

thanks

Hello Phil. You are far too kind.

And now, I'm off (but that's common knowledge-heh-heh) to do my stand up comedy routines, AKA lectures.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Originally posted by Littlechild's notes- transcribed by Chris Scott
                            Three men were blown to atoms - two brothers named Donovan from Chicago and Jack Fleming who have only been in America a few years and formerly lived at Rotherhithe.
                            The Lomasney brothers' family certainly were promised support by subscriptions from their compatriots in America, as the author of the book mentions.

Comment

feud

Hello Debs. Quite right. And, if I recall, that lack of support is what sparked the feud between Cronin and Sullivan, leading to Dr. Cronin being killed.

Thanks.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Glasshouse

Hello All. Here is the listing for Glasshouse st, 1888. There are 3 living at #16, so it really was (or seems to be) a boarding house. Miss Worth was supposed to be in charge at some point in 1886.

(Donated by Simon Wood.)

Cheers.
                                LC
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X