Miss Worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howdy neighbour

Hello (yet again) Robert. Well, well, looks like they had a neighbour down the street.

(Kindly donated by Simon Wood.)

Cheers.
    LC
    Attached Files

Comment

Lynn, still, I hope you're not trying to recover the Fenian element here?
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

elemental

Hello Maria.

"I hope you're not trying to recover the Fenian element here"

Well, as I said, I'm starting to think about MJK. And since I think she had nothing whatsoever to do with Rachkovski's "Double Event," nor yet Isenschmid's killing of Polly and Annie, why not?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Lynn,
          yes, I know you're a non-canonical. What I meant to say is, careful with the addresses. 16 Glasshouse Street, Soho or 16, Glasshouse Street, Westminster (which one is it, by the way?) and 5, Glasshouse Street might not necessarily have been adjacent, as Victorian street numbers were not necessarily continuous. Rob Clack, John Bennett or Marc Ripper might know the exact position of the houses in question.
          What I'd also wish to remind you is that it's often mentioned that at some point the C5 might have been living on very close proximity to each other (and to Miller's Court), but I hope that noone attempts to come to any conclusions out of this fact, apart from the obvious geographic/socioeconomic realities of Victorian Whitechapel.
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

Yes Lynn, I'm on the right street. Unfortunately the census is only a ten-yearly snapshot.

At least they had the most erudite graffiti in London at the Universities Toilet Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              At least they had the most erudite graffiti in London at the Universities Toilet Club.
              Did it say something in Latin?
              Best regards,
              Maria

Comment

Soho

Hello Maria, Robert. I am suspicious about the "Soho" business. Nevertheless, that is Professor Campbell's assertion.

Thanks.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

No, but it did have :

"The unexamined life is not worth having" - Socrates
                  "The unexamined LOAF is not worth having" - Aaron Kosminski

5 Glasshouse St in 1881 had Louisa Wilcox, hairdresser, as Head plus three lodgers - an auctioneer, a professor in languages and a stockbroker. By 1891 there are Charles Jaschke, hairdresser and wife Hannah, cashier, plus two familes whose heads were tailors.

Comment

AK

Hello Robert. Funny you should mention Aaron. Did you see written anywhere:

"Girlfriend? Who needs a girlfriend!!" ejaculated Aaron Kosminski, offhandedly.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Even worse, he wasn't wearing a muzzle at the time.

From the London Gazette announcements it's clear that Scarlett was using that address throughout his chronic financial troubles of the 1870s and 1880s, so maybe he flitted around. The two Wheelers in 1881 were both woollen warehousemen.

Comment

boarding house

Hello Robert. Thanks.

Is it a boarding house as Campbell says? I see a good many people dealing in woolen along that street.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Lynn, 16 in 1881 just had the two Wheelers, and they weren't listed as lodgers.

At 5, there were lodgers in 1881, but none of the people there in 1891 were listed as lodgers.

Comment

curious

Hello Robert. Curious. I wonder if Professor Campbell got all the facts straight?

He claims that she advertised her boarding house there. I found nothing.

Thanks again.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Lynn, there was a betting raid at 16 in 1893. I'll post the article tomorrow - I need a bit of kip.

Comment

Hello Lynn and Robert. Might I inquire from when the Campbell book dates? If it's an oldie, they're often innacurate.
                                To carry on with the AK jokes:
                                -Boyfriend? Not without a muzzle.
                                Best regards,
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X