Miss Worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Worth

Hello All. I was wondering if anyone has yet identified Sir Edward Jenkinson's agent "Miss Worth"? She is purported to have run a boarding house at 16 Glasshouse st, Soho.

Any information on her identity, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    LC

Hi Lynn. This is new to me. What are the details?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

is confusing

Hello Tom. This incident is mentioned by Professor Campbell. (I wonder if he was mistaken about Soho? My research and a colleague's research turned up a thriving woolen business along much of Glasshouse st. Could be a different Glasshouse st.)

Seems that she drew Monro's attention in that one of her boarders seemed to have a trunk with the names of all Jenkinson's agents. The chap seems to have been a bigamist and only with difficulty eluded Monro who was feuding with Jenkinson at that time. The details are difficult to follow, but Jenkinson helped him escape out of the country.

Obviously, I would love to put together as many of EJ's spy ring as possible.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Hi Lynn. Is there a thread where all of this drama is discussed in more detail? Because of my limited internet access, I know there's a lot of stuff I miss out on.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

There's the Kaufmann thread Tom, but it goes in all different directions. Not sure if you'd possess the patience to go through it.
          http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=4566

Lynn, I'm about to email you. Sorry for the delay.
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

FF

Hello Tom. I think the best source is Campbell's "Fenian Fire." I cannot find any threads relating to this.

I'll keep everyone posted whilst I try to piece this together. Wish I had access to the Irish Archive.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

holiday

Hello Maria. I think the Kaufmann thread would be worthless (no pun intended) for this. The Miss Worth tale is related to the Clan-na-Gael activities. (I'm taking a slight holiday from the Okhrana and "The Double Event." Looking more closely at MJK now.)

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Hello Lynn.
                Agreed that consulting the Kaufmann thread would be worthless for Ms. Worth. ;-) I was only referring to your mentioning of Mrs. T/Mrs.Tyler and her alleged Scotland Yard Chief Inspector father in the last pages of the Kaufmann thread. By the by, might I inquire where from you've identified Mrs. T as Mrs. Tyler, Lynn, or was this a known fact already?
                Also, any news pertaining to agent “John“ (John Meiklejohn?) and agent “Murphy“ (Maurice Murphy/Patrick Casey)? I hope not to be committing a faux pas by mentioning these chaps here, since they are suspected Jenkinson agents?
                With my apologies, and with the best of luck-wishing for your researching all of this.
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

errata

Hello Maria. "John" and "Murphy" were agents employed by Okhrana. John, according to, I believe, Fischer, was ex-SY. Casey (Maurice Murphy) was an informant on the Irish Clan-na-Gael. He had much experience in all things covert.

The Tyler story is from Campbell, if I recall (else Porter). Her identity (other than purported ties to SY) is still not penetrated.

But I am on holiday from the "Double Event" and thinking Kelly now.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Thank you for the precise information, Lynn.
                    Good luck with MJK, but you know I'm not with you (and with Simon Wood) on this. Lynn, if you're interested in Joseph Fleming, you'd better communicate with Debra Arif ASAP. She was researching Fleming as of last week. There might be new information.
                    I'll respond to you email (with the Tumblety hint) in a little while.
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

In 1881 16 Glasshouse St, Westminster was occupied by a father and son called Wheeler. In 1891 it was unoccupied.

Comment

thanks

Hello Maria. Thanks. An excellent idea. Little gets by Debs.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Thanks Robert.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

Hello Robert. Thanks.

This cutting is from the "Commercial Gazette" April 17, 1884.

Cheers.
                            LC
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by lynn cates; 01-28-2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Hello (again) Robert. This is from 1882.

(Kindly donated by Simon Wood.)

Cheers.
                              LC
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X