Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown U.S Body

HI All,

I was recently watching a show called "Jack the ripper in America" hosted by a idiotic "detective". Cut the rest and to the point, this so called detective is clueless. However, a murder I am not familiar with was mentioned.

It was of a unknown body washing up the hudsen river in New York and found on August 7th, 1891 I think.

Anyone know anything about this? It said her injuries were similar to the London Canonical's. The murdered was never identified.

Thanks in advanced for any help.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

I certainly don't know a case of an unknown body in the Hudson, but that date, 7 Aug 1891, is the same day as the attack on the elderly German woman named Woolfe, which was widely reportyed as a Ripper attack.
    However, this was certainly in London and not the US

Comment

Hi Chris,

I have been trawling through press accounts to see if I can find anything like the description of this "murder" but to my sadness, my search, so far has been in vain.

However, I am not putting much weight on this murder and even the "fact" that it might have actually occured. I am not confident, for the show also said Tabram was stabbed 26 times.

Yours truly
      Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

I watched a programme similar to the you are refering to, it was on sky anytime TV. The detective in question tried to link the murders to a series of murders in the U.S to James Kelly after the Whitechappel murders. Though the 'first U.S victim' was found in a slum appartment not long after Kelly apparently arrived in New York. The detective even travelled to Whitechapel and roamed one of the sites with a flashlight in the early hours of one morning seemingly looking for clues!

sorry if i am barking up the wrong tree or if this is on another thread as ive just started 'stalking' the forums
        Last edited by m rowley; 03-29-2010, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Hi M Rowley,

No, not at all. Yes, the victim was killed in the east river hotel, her name was Carrie Brown. Did you happen to see how many mistakes this "detective" made? More than I can count . Also, just for reference, none of the original murder sites exist, besides Mitre Square but it is a long way aways from its 19th century counterpart.
          Last edited by corey123; 03-29-2010, 01:17 AM.
          Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

I watched that doc and it highly annoyed me to no end, the dude just ticked me off to no end.

Comment

Hi Corey, i don't recall to much of it as it was clearly unfit to be broadcast and lost intrest half way through. I've always had an intrest in the case of the Whitechappel Murders but i'd never claim or even have the intelligence to know nearly half as much as some of the members on this site.

It does annoy me when people manipulate facts just to get in their own theory...this programme was a prime example.

Comment

While it does not seem to have been a widely publicized event, a woman's body was pulled from the Hudson on August 7, 1891. However, I have seen no indication that anyone linked it to the Whitechapel murders. The attached article from the Baltimore Sun is typical.

Best,

Tim Riordan
                Attached Files

Comment

Back in November I listed some of the errors that appeared in the documentary in question. One of the things I posted was this:

(According to the documentary) "The body of another woman, murdered and mutilated, was pulled from the East River on the '7th of August, 1891.'
                  Actually it was the 3rd of August, 1891, and the reason why the documentary didn’t mention the name of this supposed Ripper victim is that there is very little information about this murder. The victim was small, about 45 years old and had been badly beaten about the left side of her face. The body was then tied with a rope to a rock or some other weight and then dumped in the East River. This was not a Ripper, or even a Ripper-like murder."

The body which Tim has posted on is of another woman.

There was a half hearted attempt to link this East River victim and the Whitechapel murders, through the Carrie Brown murder, back in 1891 when newspapers described the wounds to the victim's face as "mutilations" and apparently one newspaper asked "Is It Jack's Work?" This was picked up by Michael Conlon in his articles A Tale Of Two "Frenchys," Ripperana No. 34, October, 2000, and The Ripper In America, Ripperologist, No. 38, December, 2001, both of which aren't worth the paper their printed on.

Wolf.

Comment

Wolf and Tim, Thank you for your responses here. Wolf, I remember the thread. It mentions how they were consulted you then didn't seem to not want to take your advice, or something to that effect. Too bad they didn't because they don't seem to have gotten a lot of respect for the documentary.

Best,

Cel
                    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi Celesta.

Yes, they interviewed me and took my research but not my opinions. In the end, though, I think I dodged a bullet when they decided not to have me appear on the show. One thing I don't know, however, is if they ever credited me for my help since I still haven't seen the show.

Wolf.

Comment

Hi Wolf, I don't know. I usually try to watch the credits for familiar names. Sometimes they don't do the credits properly, running them by quickly, or running a commercial and not showing them at all. I know if I had seen your name I would've remembered. I remember telling my husband about you while the thing was running. I'll keep an eye out for the show. Maybe there's a way to find out online somewhere. Maybe the website for History or Discover would have that information. It's highly unprofessional not to express thanks.

Cel
                        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

The investigator was cold-case detective Ed Norris. As for the documentary, it was scatology of a magnitude that has only been matched in recent years by Vic Reeves.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Hi Gary

I wouldn't want him working for me, NYPD must see something I don't.
                            Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Absolutely, Corey. The killer's 'likeness', too, seems to have been plucked from fantasy land.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Working...
                              X