The Ripper's Intellect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
    Perry Mason writes: If the ability to learn something of anatomy, to learn efficient usage of a sharp knife, to learn most of the streets and lane connections within a single square mile, and to be discreet calls for above average intelligence, then I guess I would go along. But those do not seem to me to be extraordinary feats that would eliminate someone of limited intelligence either.

Since the above could be said to apply to the majority of cabbies in London, I'd be inclined to agree....
    I really want to ask a question about how you know that London cabbies know something of anatomy, but I am too much of a gentleman to do so.

Mike
    huh?

Comment

Hi Steelysama,
      and welcome.
      One thing on which we can agree is that JtR wasn't completely stupid.
      That's all I'd dare to say.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
        I really want to ask a question about how you know that London cabbies know something of anatomy, but I am too much of a gentleman to do so.

Mike
        As the wife of a London cabbie I would like to reassure posters that, in his case anyway, his knowledge of anatomy is completely in keeping with his role as a husband and not as his role as a cabbie.

Comment

Lime,

Thanks so much for that. I was a bit nervous.

Mike
          huh?

Comment

I believe its a mistake to characterize some of the mutilations and field surgery done postmortem on the victims as anything but skilled. Its clear that not all of the five Canonicals make that case, but some most certainly do.

Annie Chapman was the sign that something new was happening, because she was the second victim attacked and mutilated in such a manner within 2 weeks. At her Inquest the senior medical opinion on her killer was that he performed the skin flaps, and the specific cuts into her abdomen to access and remove her uterus. He believed it to be the killers goal, and that it was removed cleanly and efficiently.

That man knew both how to cut, and where to cut.

Best regards all.

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
              Annie Chapman was the sign that something new was happening... At her Inquest the senior medical opinion on her killer was that he performed the skin flaps, and the specific cuts into her abdomen to access and remove her uterus. He believed it to be the killers goal, and that it was removed cleanly and efficiently.
              He also believed that the whole operation would have taken 15 minutes, which is patent nonsense.
              That man knew both how to cut, and where to cut.
              Is that why he sliced into her colon, Mike, and opened up her abdomen like an aardvark demolishing an ants' nest?
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                He also believed that the whole operation would have taken 15 minutes, which is patent nonsense.Is that why he sliced into her colon, Mike, and opened up her abdomen like an aardvark demolishing an ants' nest?
                Hi Sam,

Its not my opinion, its the medical testimony at her Inquest were talking about here. I believe he mentioned 15 minutes as his gauge on his own abilities based on the actions taken, and we can assume that the killer was sufficiently motivated to be very hasty in achieving the objectives he sets.

Sloppy cuts in concert with efficient extractions, done in near daylight, in a publically accessible yard are I think excusable. He was committing murder in public to get access to her abdomen, that must affect his overall performance to some degree.

I personally feel that Annies murder is the Ripper benchmark, and in her murder there are some skilled cuts made... the man who examined her felt the same with regards to skill.

All the best SF.

Comment

Annie Chapman was definitely Jack's finest work.

Though is it possibly that Jack only ripped open Polly to have a look inside her, to see where things were, and left it at that? After all, he didn't take anything. It could also explain why the intestines were protuding; maybe he lifted them up a bit to have a peek at what was underneath and amongst all of that stuff.

Comment

Reckon you are on the right track M&P!

Comment

For the "eminent".

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                        Its not my opinion, its the medical testimony at her Inquest were talking about here.
                        Exactly, Mike - and there was almost as much shite emanating from Phillips' mouth at this point as had oozed out of Annie's accidentally - but "expertly" - cut colon
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Exactly, Mike - and there was almost as much shite emanating from Phillips' mouth at this point as had oozed out of Annie's accidentally - but "expertly" - cut colon
                          I get the sense that you disagree with the good doctor Sam. I feel the same way about Bond myself.

M & P and Mr Hyde, the coroner at Pollys Inquest suggested that the reason the killer moved into a backyard for his next kill is probably due to the fact he found completing his desired actions required more privacy than was available in Bucks Row.

In my own mind I cant be sure that more than Polly and Annie are connected to a single killer, but Kates murder details and the speed with which all the actions took place make me lean towards the same man there.

None of this though dictates that we must be dealing with someone of above average intelligence.

Now, if Jack the Ripper wrote the Grafitto....with decent and at least semi-literate handwriting as was described, and if the "message" is like a clue to something.....he may well have been clever.

Best regards all.

Comment

I probably erred in a previous post regarding the chalk.
                            According to Scotland Yard the GSG was blurred.
                            Possibly done much earlier,and an attempt at rubbing rather than washing it off attempted.
                            Look at what JTR did in the timeframes-if he was a surgeon,do you reckon he was out to advertise the fact.Especially if being blackmailed by the last 3 CVs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
                              I probably erred in a previous post regarding the chalk.
                              According to Scotland Yard the GSG was blurred.
                              Possibly done much earlier,and an attempt at rubbing rather than washing it off attempted.
                              Look at what JTR did in the timeframes-if he was a surgeon,do you reckon he was out to advertise the fact.Especially if being blackmailed by the last 3 CVs.
                              Hi Mr H,

I believe it may have been Lamb who suggested it was written in "good schoolboy hand", so smudged or not the handwriting was legible when written. If they were so sure that it was smudged before his arrival, I believe we would have a more conclusive position on the approx timing of its placement. Since some investigators were certain the apron section and handwriting were connected to the same person, I dont believe they concluded it preceded the apron.

On your many recent posts regarding blackmail of the Ripper, I can only say that shortly after The Double Event there was substantial reward money, and with close to some 1500L being available in rewards after Mary Kelly, just how much were desperately poor unfortunates trying to secure from the man rather than just claiming rewards...as Kate is alleged to have said to her ex landlady regarding her intentions.

20L at the time had the equivalent today of approx 1500L Sterling. I believe at least 500L was the accumulated reward money that Packer may have been after...which would be the equivalent of roughly 37,500L. After Mary that equals approx 112, 500L Sterling.

So what princely sum above the equivalent of approx 500L do you suggest they were after... by blackmailing a man who brutally murders these same type of women who would be the ones blackmailing him? Does a desperately poor woman negotiate with a killer who kills specifically her category of person, attempting to get more than the spending equivalent of 35,000L?

Best regards

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I generally imagine him as being cunning, but not necessary above average intelligence. It seems like he was probably street smart. Honestly, I think that this idea of him being street smart makes him less likely to be one of the higher class suspects.

It does go well with the profile of David Cohen, though. A sort of insane cunning would fit with the circumstances of the murder. And then someone who lived in the midst of Whitechapel, knowing its habits and "rhythm".
                                "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Working...
                                X